mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The real Slim Shady Tral Question/ Bike vs Bike

So. The whole Slim Shady hazard ordeal has given me an opportunity to ask all of you your opinion. I'm looking for a new bike. Been riding my old Giant Reign for over 10 years now. Kids, kids sports, kids college, kids weddings have consumed my time and money for the last decade. But now I'm looking for a new bike

I live in North Phnx Ride everything all over the state. Sonoran Mtn, South Mtn, Prescott, Sedona and Flag. Also travel to UT (Moab/St George) CA and CO to ride.

Looking for a Trail 29er. I want to be able to trial ride aggressive trails and also play around with races like Wiskey and 24HOP.

Looking at basically 3 bikes. 17 JET9 RDO, 429T and Primer. Maybe a Switchbalde

I'd like to know. Can the JET9 and 429T handle the drop that's being discussed in the hazard thread? I'm not the smoothest hucker.

IPA tester
    I have a 429T that I purchased with 29" wheel set but have been riding on some 27.5+ wheels now for the last 4 months. I don't think I'm going back to 29 any time soon for the stuff I ride. I'm a fat old man but like the more challenging trails more than just flat out XC stuff. If I wanted (or had the balls) to jump off that I would on this bike. In fact I might have already done that on my old Mach5 3 years ago and lived to tell about it. This is a very capable bike. Others will chime in I'm sure..
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    The tallboy3 should be on your list too.
    Same weight, HTA with a 130mm fork and shorter rear stays.
    It has a threaded BB too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know there are a lot of 120mm 29era Danago, Horsethief etc. I narrowed down the Niner, Pivot an Intense because they are supported by my LBS.

I am really drawn to the Niner. I have an older Air9 alu I grew up in Torrance Ca where they started. And I rreally like the matte black RDO. Not to hip on 429T colors But color isn't a real factor.

My biggest question is If 120mm rear is enough for Sedona/Moab trails
    Last edited by fiveo; 05-21-2017 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Well 24HOP requires an entirely different bike from one that will take drops like this. That is if you want to be fast at 24HOP. If you just want to ride around that is cool an you can do that on anything. I ride mostly north Phx and a 29er HT is all I need for most rides. However I do have a SC Solo (27.5, 130F/125R) that I reserve for the more difficult terrain. As for this drop I just don't have attachments to even try it. Not my thing personally. For me the Solo is more than enough bike because just where the bike's limits are reached I have already thrown in the towel for being too much for me. That said I think with some practice I can fully clean the descent on Hiline on my Solo. I clean about 60% of it last time and chickened out on the rest, but I know the bike could handle it. I was also at the start of a 50+ mile ride so figured I would push things too far.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    The niner is a good XC bike, but its far from stiff. Not in the same category as pivot or santa cruz.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Yeti SB5.5

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Of the three bikes you listed, I'd take the Pivot. Then the Intense. And then I'd be looking elsewhere. The Niner wouldn't be on the list for me, based on your stated needs.

I quite liked the 429tr when I owned it. Excellent pedaling bike, pretty efficient, stiff, decent appetite for gnar given the travel, good geo. Rode a bunch of Sedona stuff as well as pretty much all the mid-gnar stuff on SoMo (Mormon, Javelina, National, Ranger, etc.).
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know Iin years past the RDO was flexy But I think they are stiffer now.
    Last edited by fiveo; 05-21-2017 at 08:23 PM.

jddist
    May 2008
    The SC Hightower should also be one of the bikes on your list.

parenting for gnarness
    I've had a 429T with both wheelsets for a few months. For XC its great, I dont race. With the plus wheels it handled everything on National and 24th street, fine on HooDoo last week at Gold Canyon. I notice a slighter more upright ride and slightly less plush feel on the really gnarly stuff compared to my 2011 Firebird, but the plus wheels really close the gap between an XC vs. AM bike. I'm still learning what the bike can do, but I think in time I will be able to ride all the stuff I could on my Bird. There is no getting around that its a different bike and not built to be a gnar-destroyer in frame and travel. I rode the Switchblade with both wheelsets too, and its just a progression up from the 429. A little better on tech, a little slower on XC.

For tech riding, I dont think I would go without plus wheels anymore - they are really nice and make a huge difference on tech terrain. There are so many great bikes in this range. I'd pick one that matches your style the most. If you want a tech-first bike, I'd got something a bit more travel and slack than the 429T - Switchblade, Hightower, Ibis I think has one in that range, the Yeti.

mtbr member
    I have the Primer and bought it specifically to have a "trail" 29er that was capable of riding in the Whiskey 50. I have no desire to be competitive, I just need to finish. Anyway, I live in SoCal and ride my 5010 most of the time but think the Primer is a great match for your AZ riding. The maiden trip for my Primer was a trip to PHX and we rode all over including Browns, Cave Creek and South Mountain. I don't look for those 4' drops but this bike could take them for sure.

All that being said, I'd personally ride one of my 27.5 bias in Moab & Sedona because I like them better. I'd probably want the Switchblade off your list for Moab on a 29er.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    So. The whole Slim Shady hazard ordeal has given me an opportunity to ask all of you your opinion. I'm looking for a new bike. Been riding my old Giant Reign for over 10 years now. Kids, kids sports, kids college, kids weddings have consumed my time and money for the last decade. But now I'm looking for a new bike

I live in North Phnx Ride everything all over the state. Sonoran Mtn, South Mtn, Prescott, Sedona and Flag. Also travel to UT (Moab/St George) CA and CO to ride.

Looking for a Trail 29er. I want to be able to trial ride aggressive trails and also play around with races like Wiskey and 24HOP.

Looking at basically 3 bikes. 17 JET9 RDO, 429T and Primer. Maybe a Switchbalde

I'd like to know. Can the JET9 and 429T handle the drop that's being discussed in the hazard thread? I'm not the smoothest hucker.
    That's an awful wide spread you are asking for IMO. Sedona isn't a lot of fun to me with something around 100mm, you can ride it, but but you can't take very good advantage of much of what the terrain has to offer. 120mm is getting closer, but even still I'd rather have a bit more travel than that to really stretch my legs and abilities in Sedona, Prescott and Flag and road trips, but that also means less competitive for racing. You can race a 130-140mm bike just fine, but many factors will keep it from performing at the highest level in XC. If I had one bike, I'd be fine with that for the versatility offered by a bit more travel.

29 is good for the wheel-catchers in places like Sedona, but IME short travel is still as rough as ever on the rocks. I just rode the 429SL at Sedona and did quite a few trails, including hiline and hangover, but that bike is pretty sketchy on that kind of terrain, the 429T is a small bump up in that respect, but still a less bike than I'd feel comfortable with there. Don't *need* 170/160 like my AM bike either, but 100mm was way way on the short side.

IMO, the fast XC guys are simply enduring the bumps on the shorter travel bikes and hardtails, to the point that not everyone can do this, especially as we get older, it's just abusive as hell and a little extra travel IMO is appreciated.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have mentioned im not looking to be competive in endurance races. Just want to be able to pedal all day

The new Jet in now 120 rear 140 front. Almost what the old Rip was. It's also 27.5 plus/ 29er
    Last edited by fiveo; 05-21-2017 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have mentioned im not liookijg to be competive in endurance races. Just want to be able to pedal all day

The new Jet in now 120 rear 140 front. Almost what the old Rip was. It's also 27.5 plus/ 29er
    You could try out a rental from Over the Edge in Sedona. I recall seeing some Jet 9's set up with 27.5+ tires there and standard 29. Give you a chance to really see if you like it on the exact trails you are looking to do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was just up there today hiking with kids I was going to go by a check out Primer and Jet. But both were all out on rentals

mtbr member
    May 2016
    One of my favorite short travel 29ers that I have demoed so far and I feel can take the really gnarly stuff when needed is the Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol. I rode it late last year when it had just been released and was only set up as 120 rear 130 front. Now you can get it in the Pistola set up as 130 rear. I rode that all over Mt Lemmon in Tucson including La Milagrosa. The only short travel 29er that I felt comfortable and confident in taking all the roughest lines and drops at speed on. That same weekend I demoed the new Jet9, Trek Fuel, Ripley LS and a comparable Rocky Mountain. For speed and gnarly by far the Pistol was the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have mentioned im not liookijg to be competive in endurance races. Just want to be able to pedal all day

2017 Trek Fuel EX with 66.5 degree head angle, 16.9in chainstays and 140 front/130 rear travel, 26.5lbs and 27.5+/29 compatible. Sounds like this is what you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lucythefin. How did the JET9 do on your demo compared to the other bikes you rode?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The new Pivot 5.5 might be worth a look. A bike designed around the new mid/fat 2.6" x 27.5 wheels with 35 mm rims. 160/140mm of travel. Carbon frame, with reasonable weight. If I was looking at a aggressive trail bike, this would be on my demo list.

I have a 429 with a 120 fork and always feel a little beatup after a few days in Sedona. A little more up front would be a welcome change.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    On that demo weekend the Jet9 came in second behind the Trail Pistol. I was specifically testing out shortish travel 29ers since I wanted to pick up an everyday, XC race type of trail bike.
    It had a bit of pedal Bob, most notably when up and off the saddle trying to power up a climb and it would loose some traction. Not as noticeable as it was on the Fuel though. But it was just a demo so some tweaking on the suspension set up and better tires would help.
    It picked up speed really well and was fast going downhill and kept speed very well. But in the bumpy and long chattery sections it started to get twitchy and bounced around off line, which caused me to go down sideways at a very high speed. I think I just got over confident because it is so fast on flowy singletrack and just came into the chatter too hot, but the Pistol didn't even flinch and kept picking up speed in the same section. Again a better shock set up and definitely better tires might have helped.
    It did okay on smaller drops but I wouldn't try anything big or continuous medium larger drops.
    At the Sedona MTB festival I demoed the Devinci Django, and that bike seemed similar to the Jet9, without the pedal Bob or loss of traction and much more stable through the successive chatter.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have mentioned im not looking to be competive in endurance races. Just want to be able to pedal all day

My SC Solo was the bike I chose to ride the Sedona BFL 58.8 miles and about 8hrs ride time. Not ton of climbing, but good bike for Sedona and all the rocks. My SC Highball HT would have been faster overall. Easier on the legs and lungs, but would have bet me up more. This was a group ride so I was not riding for time.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Closekids.com
    Is there a video of this drop you speak?
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not sure how to post a YouTube link. But most videos of Slim Shady trail show it. It's kinda hard to see unless you know what you are looking for. It's about a 4' to flat

The more I read the more I'm thinking maybe a 27.5+/29er bike. Like the 429T JET9 or Hightower. 27.5+ for tech days Sedona/ Moab/ Somo and 29er for Sonoran/ Prescott and Flag.

Doesn't the 27.5+ make a 120mm. More like a 130mm bike?

parenting for gnarness
    Not sure how to post a YouTube link. But most videos of Slim Shady trail show it. It's kinda hard to see unless you know what you are looking for. It's about a 4' to flat

The more I read the more I'm thinking maybe a 27.5+/29er bike. Like the 429T JET9 or Hightower. 27.5+ for tech days Sedona/ Moab/ Somo and 29er for Sonoran/ Prescott and Flag.

Doesn't the 27.5+ make a 120mm. More like a 130mm bike?
    Still learning the bike... its not exactly that it gives you 'more travel', but the lower COG and better surface contact handle a lot of the same duties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Doesn't the larger tire with lower pressure absorb some of the chatter?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    The plus tires will absorb some of the chatter but you have to find the perfect PSI. Even just 1 or 2 PSI off and it changes the characteristics of how it'll ride. You should check out the Switchblade if you get the chance, much more capable than the 429 Trail and has much better geometry as well. Takes both 29 and 27+ too.
    Here's a video of how capable the Switchblade is on South Mountain.
    https://youtu.be/qTK4-UzGLMk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucythefin View Post
    The plus tires will absorb some of the chatter but you have to find the perfect PSI. Even just 1 or 2 PSI off and it changes the characteristics of how it'll ride. You should check out the Switchblade if you get the chance, much more capable than the 429 Trail and has much better geometry as well. Takes both 29 and 27+ too.
    Here's a video of how capable the Switchblade is on South Mountain.
    https://youtu.be/qTK4-UzGLMk
    A great option ^^^ and as previously mentioned, most people are very happy with the Hightower. I rode my Primer in Sedona today (rode out Little Horse and circled all the Hogs stuff then later rode a Slim Shady & Templeton loop). The Primer held it's own and I even rode a few sections I've walked the past few times but maybe it's because I'm 5-8 but I ride with so much more confidence on a 27.5 out there. In Prescott, the 29er is ideal.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My shop really touts the SB. I have been leaning that way but wonder how it would do in long days and if I entered endurance races.

Are you limited to Pivots wheels sets with the "super boost"?

The Primer sure seems to be dead in the middle with the 130/118mm option.

Kinda feel like it's hard to go wrong these days with the new bikes out.
    Last edited by fiveo; 05-23-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lynd View Post
    The new Pivot 5.5 might be worth a look. A bike designed around the new mid/fat 2.6" x 27.5 wheels with 35 mm rims. 160/140mm of travel. Carbon frame, with reasonable weight. If I was looking at a aggressive trail bike, this would be on my demo list.

I have a 429 with a 120 fork and always feel a little beatup after a few days in Sedona. A little more up front would be a welcome change.
    No replacement for travel IMO, Sedona comes alive to me with about 140mm based on previous bike demos there and what I've owned there. 100mm as I indicated before is pretty crappy there. Ok for a race maybe, but not to take advantage of the terrain in any way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My shop really touts the SB. I have been leading that way but wonder how it would do in long days and as if I entered endurance races. Are you limited to Pivots wheels sets with the "super boost"?

The Primer sure seems to be dead in the middle with the 130/118mm option.

Kinda feel like it's hard to go wrong these days with the new bikes out.
    I9 makes a hub with the correct spacing.