mtbr member

Rainbow Rim -- pics and ride report

Took a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to ride the Rainbow Rim trail this past weekend.

Below is the link to the photo album for the photos that I took.

Rainbow Rim

It was a perfect weekend for this trip. The nights were a bit cold, but not to bad if you came prepared. The day time highs were in the 70's and mostly clear skies. We camped at Locust Point and did an out and back each day. The first day we headed to Parissawampitts, and the next day to Timp Point. Half our group learned the hard way that taking the trail back was easier than the fire road back from Parissawampitts.

It was my first time there. I'd say the loop to Timp Point is the easier of the two with exception of having the toughest hill to climb of the two on the way back. Parissawampitts had the best views in my opinion, but Timp Point was a close second. Both sides of the trail had the right mix of up and down hills and plenty of eye-catching scenary and Kodak moments.

In all it was a fantastic trip and a must do for anyone who mountain bikes in Arizona. It was more than worth the long drive. Making it a 4 day trip was just the right amount of time, maybe one more day if you can do that many back to back rides.

Videos

Rainbow Rim -- Locust Point to Parissawampitts Part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Locust Point to Parissawampitts Part 2 of 2 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Parissawampitts to Locust Point Part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Parissawampitts to Locust Point Part 2 of 2 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Locust Point to Timp Point Part 1 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Locust Point to Timp Point Part 2 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Locust Point to Timp Point Part 3 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Locust Point to Timp Point Part 4 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Timp Point to Locust Point Part 1 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Timp Point to Locust Point Part 2 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Timp Point to Locust Point Part 3 of 4 - YouTube

Rainbow Rim -- Timp Point to Locust Point Part 4 of 4 - YouTube

ben
    Last edited by armourbl; 09-24-2012 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member

Guy normally behind the camera...

mtbr member
    great pics... I would have figured there would be more whiskey and smiles around the campfire

mtbr member

This was the view from our camping spot...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    great pics... I would have figured there would be more whiskey and smiles around the campfire
    Oh there was, just not at that very moment. On Saturday night, about 100 yards down from us and right on the Locust Point lookout there was a large group that had what sounded like a rave party. They were having a really, really good time down there. I wonder if it was anyone from on the forum...

ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Oh there was, just not at that very moment. On Saturday night, about 100 yards down from us and right on the Locust Point lookout there was a large group that had what sounded like a rave party. They were having a really, really good time down there. I wonder if it was anyone from on the forum...

ben
    hmmmmm... I would say it must be germans (or some other euro country) ....but its not summer time.... I did a lot of wandering around the natl parks of the west in the 90's and met a lot of Germans.... sometimes with no clothes...

they love to party...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    hmmmmm... I would say it must be germans (or some other euro country) ....but its not summer time.... I did a lot of wandering around the natl parks of the west in the 90's and met a lot of Germans.... sometimes with no clothes...

they love to party...
    Dang....

I knew I should have gone down there.

mtbr member
    planning on doing this exact ride with the wife en route to the redbull rampage. Thanks for the stoke!

As awesome as the flow of that trail is, I can't believe you had folks who opted for the crappy dirt roads.

The wife and I did an out and back from Timp to Parissawampitts - racing a storm on the way back. The trail was so much fun - I was sad to see it end. This is well worth the drive in on lousy dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Videos added to first post.

ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    As awesome as the flow of that trail is, I can't believe you had folks who opted for the crappy dirt roads.

The wife and I did an out and back from Timp to Parissawampitts - racing a storm on the way back. The trail was so much fun - I was sad to see it end. This is well worth the drive in on lousy dirt roads.
    We had a real beginner in the group who did fantastic on the ride, but thought the road back would be a better choice. The other that went were there for support and safety reasons.

I can't fault the rider that chose the road, but it was a gamble in hopes of an easier route back that didn't pan out.

ben

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice pics... looks like you guys had a good time

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    The Kaibab Nat. Forest was doing NEPA studes on either extending Rainbow Rim trail or making a loop trail. I'm not sure if it's related but there's an IMBA workshop there this weekend. https://www.imba.com/civicrm/event/info?id=247&reset=1

mtbr member
    I rode up there probably about 10-11 years ago. I happen to remember one great little exchange on one of the climbs. Given the altitude I was huffing and puffing along 2nd our group of 3. I really needed to stop to catch my breath, but did not want to be the first one. So I stayed on the wheel of our lead guy. I was wondering what a heart attack would feel like when I saw his front tire start to wander. Then 20 feet later he cracked and stopped. No room to pass and I stopped behind him and instatly yelled out 'Dude, Why did you stop we could have made this hill!" My friend behind said the same thing. Secretly we were both relived as we were ready to crack too. Never told him that until 3-4 years later... Ha...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

My other ride is your mom
    Thanks for the stoke....after being in DC for the past few days, it's good to see riding still goes on here....