mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rainbow Rim & AZ Trail

I'm buggin' out of SoCal next week to ride these great trails so I'd like a little info and to throw out a ride invite in case any of you can ride with me. I'm riding Rainbow Rim on Tuesday. Parking at Locust and doing out and backs both directions with a lunch break in between. I've done this twice before so I don't have any questions (as long as I turn on the right dirt roads), just the ride invite!

I've never ridden the AZ trail though so that's where I'd appreciate some input. I plan a full day on Wednesday for the boundary section. Same idea; park at East Rim viewpoint, do out and backs; south to the park and back, lunch break then north 10-15 miles and back. Then on Thursday, start at 89A and ride south to wherever I turned around on Wed. and back to 89A then head back to CA with an overnight in Mesquite.

Is that a doable plan? I'm 55 and a strong, although slow climbing rider. I expect a lot of climbing on the AZT both directions but where is the most climbing? How technical is the trail? Also, I've read on Wherewolf's thread that some riding is legal in the park. Is that true and what's the mileage?

I have a forest service flyer that has the one-way miles for the section from 89A to FDR 610 at the park boundary at 37 miles. Is that accurate? Any other crucial info I should know?

Thanks for your time and help! Let me know if any of you can join me on all or part of these rides and we'll pm phone numbers.

Ahhh the pain....
    Maddog,
    If you go here, https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&aut...TdOdzAtMjQ5cTg , you'll find a file called KMC150.gpx which is the ride several of us did a couple weeks ago. It includes what appears to be all of what you're planning to ride. The from the north rim to 89 doesn't have any huge climbs although there is some HAB. One of the drainages near the north end of the burn area has some down trees...nothing major though.
    Yeah, that 37 miles sounds right. The stuff in the park follows a utility corridor, but is still fun to ride and very scenic. Here's a writeup I did of the trip if you're looking for some stoke...
    One Gear Ray: Memorial Munsters

have fun!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the info and the stoke! Looks like you had a great time! Heck, I'll have it easy compared to what you guys did! That was quite a ride!