mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?

I know that it has been a low snow year there in AZ, and that the North Rim Rd doesn't usually open til May 15th. Any chance it's open early? I'll call the NP too, but thought I'd ask the question here as well.

We are going to be down in the area, 4/22-4/30; and would love to ride this (have heard wonders about the views).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here's a photo while riding the rim and from our campsite which was right on the rim...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-img_2040.jpg  

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-img_2055.jpg  

2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersnow View Post
    I know that it has been a low snow year there in AZ, and that the North Rim Rd doesn't usually open til May 15th. Any chance it's open early? I'll call the NP too, but thought I'd ask the question here as well.

We are going to be down in the area, 4/22-4/30; and would love to ride this (have heard wonders about the views).

Thanks!
    Not to be Johnny on the Spot but I happened to be on the N. Rim the last week for work so I took my bike. The main road is still gated just south of Jacob Lake. You've got to go in the back way. 461>462>22>206 and then turn on any of the FS roads out to the point you want to start at. That's ~45 miles of mostly maintained gravel roads but lots of washboard and sharp rocks so make sure you've got good tires and a decent spare.

I rode Locust to Timp and back. There's one tree down in that stretch. I'm pretty sure I put the first bike tracks on it this season. There were a couple of snow patches but otherwise dry as a bone. Oddly enough the falling pine cones concentrate in the u-shaped tread so there's a lot of crunching going on. As well as buffalo chip dodging.

Lots of this. Need a pine cone Zamboni.

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-rainbow_1.jpg

The buffalo herd is getting to be quite the problem on the N. Rim. Didn't see one but lots of chips.

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-rainbow_2.jpg

The obligatory shot from N. Timp Pt.

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-rainbow_3.jpg

The short section of snow on the north side of N. Timp.

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-rainbow_4.jpg

Sunrise from Crazy Jug Point.

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?-rainbow_6.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Wow. Thanks for the beta, and AMAZING photos. We'll definitely be adding it to our list!

mtbr member
    Locust Pt is exactly where we camped, probably no more than 150-200 yards to the right from where Rockman took those photos.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Locust Pt is exactly where we camped, probably no more than 150-200 yards to the right from where Rockman took those photos.
    The pinecone covered singletrack is the only pic on Locust. Also, the FS has closed and naturalized the sites on Locust along the edge. There's one left but up canyon a bit so doesn't have the expansive view.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The pinecone covered singletrack is the only pic on Locust. Also, the FS has closed and naturalized the sites on Locust along the edge. There's one left but up canyon a bit so doesn't have the expansive view.
    well that sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Be sure to hit the East Rim Viewpoint and ride some AZ Trail form there. Higher elevation than the Rainbow so in spruce/fir forest, not pine/locust forest like the Rainbow. Nice grass meadows, some views but not nearly as dramatic.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry to dig up and old one but figured its better than starting a new thread. I have been searching online for a camp site that has bathrooms. Maybe that's asking too much but i figured might as well give it a shot. Everyone online says Locust Point (no bathrooms) which we will do if we must, but i have some in my crew that aren't used to not having a facility. Thank you in advance, this trip is coming quicker than expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dxplicitone View Post
    Sorry to dig up and old one but figured its better than starting a new thread. I have been searching online for a camp site that has bathrooms. Maybe that's asking too much but i figured might as well give it a shot. Everyone online says Locust Point (no bathrooms) which we will do if we must, but i have some in my crew that aren't used to not having a facility. Thank you in advance, this trip is coming quicker than expected.
    Your best bet is the campground at Demotte Park. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/d...&parkId=108033

change is good
    Sep 2004

Rainbow Rim - accessible early on low snow years?

Quote Originally Posted by dxplicitone View Post
    Someone please correct me if Iím wrong, but it is somewhat of a drive from the closest campground. Itís all dirt roads in baring states of conditions. I stayed at that campground and itís nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Someone please correct me if Iím wrong, but it is somewhat of a drive from the closest campground. Itís all dirt roads in baring states of conditions. I stayed at that campground and itís nice.

The roads are good although you want decent tires. ~30 min drive to Rainbow Rim and ~15 min to the E. Rim from Demotte Park.