Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Race me.

slower than you

Race me.

After my ride today I weighed 192 pounds, more than a bit on the portly side for a six-footer like me.

I am 46 years old and I work a lot, at least 50 hours a week, often more. I've got a gut and way more flab around my middle than I'd like. After a couple of years doing this new job, my once-indelible arm and leg lycra tan-lines have faded almost to nothing.

I ride nearly every weekend, both days usually. But that's about it. On very rare occasions, I get out to ride perhaps one day during the week for maybe an hour or so. I used to commute to work by bike, everyday for almost 20 years, but I hardly ever do so anymore; I've got meetings I need to get to all over town.

Today I took a vacation-day from work (I've got got to use them up before 30 June) and spent some of it riding in the woods.

There is a mountain bike race near town this weekend. Sadly, I am definitely not fit enough to race on Saturday.

But, come the end of July, I just might be.

So here's what I propose: you should race me!

Today I set an initial time using Strava on a little 8-mile loop I've labeled Orion Spring TT []Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 9miles near Flagstaff | Times and Records | Strava. It took me and my big fat butt 56 minutes flat to ride it. It climbs about 1000 feet overall, pretty relentlessly from the git-go, in my opinion. It's a really fun lap.

For today I am the KOM (king of the mountain, natch) of this loop on Strava.

My challenge is simple: If you end up KO on this loop on 31 July 2013, I will send you $50.00 cash. If I win, I get to keep my money.

Simple.

If you want to play along, send me an email [rockychrysler@rockychrysler.com] and tell me your Strava name. I'll follow you and, if you end up the KOM on this loop rather than me on 31 July, the money is yours. No kidding.

I'm hopeful this little investment will motivate me to get on my bike a bit more and, likewise, that it might make for an interesting game this summer, as I work to chase down all of you fast kids, and you work to take my money.

You've got nothing to lose. I've got 50 bucks to lose. If I'm not KOM on 31 July, the actual KOM (you?) gets the money. If I am KOM, I keep it.

Capish?

The route is simple: Start on Schultz at the second "left-hand exit," the one after the rock-garden that goes up past the big rock that looks like a giant saddle. Ride directly across Schultz Pass Road just below the cattle guard to the little connector that goes across to Weatherford Road. Ride past the old gate and up the little rocky trail that eventually connects back to Weatherford just below Puppy Chow. Ride up Puppy Chow to Lower Dogfood. Ride up Lower, Middle, and Upper Dogfood, and then across Weatherford again where it's blocked by the three short wooden poles, up to where it connects to Newham. Go right at Newham and ride east on the new "Secret" Trail (aka Spotted Owl) going past Orion Spring, all the way down to the parking lot just west of Schultz Tank. Ride down Schultz Creek Trail and back to the start.

8.2 miles. 1000 feet of elevation. Easy-peasy.

Here's the botton line: If you've emailed me [rockychrysler@rockychrysler.com] ahead of time to let me know you're playing, and you end up KOM on 31 July, you get my money.

50 bucks cash!

But, if I am the KOM that day, I keep it.

Race me.-orion.jpg
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 07-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Saucy Size Moderator
    Oh man...

Love the challenge. Hate the Strav*******ry. I kinda wish I was in Flag! I could use a similar kick in the shorts. (6'2" 235# :-( )

Good luck!
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Huffy Rider
    Man, I wish I had some kind of desire to ride fast...and some clue as to what strava is!

mtbr member
    Love the idea, to bad I live in Phoenix.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    After my ride today I weighed 192 pounds, more than a bit on the portly side for a six-footer like me.

I am 46 years old and I work a lot, at least 50 hours a week, often more. I've got a gut and way more flab around my middle than I'd like. After a couple of years doing this new job, my once-indelible arm and leg lycra tan-lines have faded almost to nothing.

I ride nearly every weekend, both days usually. But that's about it. On very rare occasions, I get out to ride perhaps one day during the week for maybe an hour or so. I used to commute to work by bike, everyday for almost 20 years, but I hardly ever do so anymore; I've got meetings I need to get to all over town.

Today I took a vacation-day from work (I've got got to use them up before 30 June) and spent some of it riding in the woods.

There is a mountain bike race near town this weekend. Sadly, I am definitely not fit enough to race on Saturday.

But, come the end of July, I just might be.

So here's what I propose: you should race me!

Today I set an initial time using Strava on a little 8-mile loop I've labeled Orion Spring TT []Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 9miles near Flagstaff | Times and Records | Strava. It took me and my big fat butt 56 minutes flat to ride it. It climbs about 1000 feet overall, pretty relentlessly from the git-go, in my opinion. It's a really fun lap.

For today I am the KOM (king of the mountain, natch) of this loop on Strava.

My challenge is simple: If you beat me on this loop on 31 July 2013, I will send you $50.00 cash. If I win, I get to keep my money.

Simple.

If you want to play along, send me an email [rockychrysler@rockychrysler.com] and tell me your Strava name. I'll follow you and, if you end up the KOM on this loop rather than me on 31 July, the money is yours. No kidding.

I'm hopeful this little investment will motivate me to get on my bike a bit more and, likewise, that it might make for an interesting game this summer, as I work to chase down all of you fast kids, and you work to take my money.

You've got nothing to lose. I've got 50 bucks to lose. If I'm not KOM on 31 July, the actual KOM (you?) gets the money. If I am KOM, I keep it.

Capish?

The route is simple: Start on Schultz at the second "left-hand exit," the one after the rock-garden that goes up past the big rock that looks like a giant saddle. Ride directly across Schultz Pass Road just below the cattle guard to the little connector that goes across to Weatherford Road. Ride past the old gate and up the little rocky trail that eventually connects back to Weatherford just below Puppy Chow. Ride up Puppy Chow to Lower Dogfood. Ride up Lower, Middle, and Upper Dogfood, and then across Weatherford again where it's blocked by the three short wooden poles, up to where it connects to Newham. Go right at Newham and ride east on the new "Secret" Trail (aka Spotted Owl) going past Orion Spring, all the way down to the parking lot just west of Schultz Tank. Ride down Schultz Creek Trail and back to the start.

8.2 miles. 1000 feet of elevation. Easy-peasy.

Here's the botton line: If you've emailed me [rockychrysler@rockychrysler.com] ahead of time to let me know you're playing, and you end up faster than me on 31 July, you get my money.

50 bucks cash!

But, if I am the KOM that day, I keep it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orion.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	798781
    Admirable intentions.

Committing to training (in my opinion) needs to be a self imposed exile. It's a sport where you and only you can make a difference. That is why I love it, you cannot buy performance. I used to do the sand dunes thing, (still into drag boats) There, it's all about how much you choose to spend, you can simply "by a trophy".

Cycling is pure, it is irresistably simple in it's concept. The harder you work, the faster you go, your limits are 100 percent self imposed.

I have found that hiring a coach makes me 'Keep on Task". But even that, if I choose to sleep in, take off a day or only do three hill repeats instead of 5 or 2.5 hours instead of 3. I have cheated no-one but myself and no-one cares but me.

I think from reading your thread, you have what it takes to beat your demons, desire.

That said, sounds like tons of fun. Good luck and look in the mirror.

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member

Race me.

Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post

Cycling is pure, it is irresistably simple in it's concept. The harder you work, the faster you go, your limits are 100 percent self imposed.

I have found that hiring a coach makes me 'Keep on Task". But even that, if I choose to sleep in, take off a day or only do three hill repeats instead of 5 or 2.5 hours instead of 3. I have cheated no-one but myself and no-one cares but me.

Steve
    Great words, Steve! Nicely put. I am discovering just how true this is!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Damn, if you gonna ride same loop over and over again- you already failed.

Last thing you want to do is put money on Strava - people are way too dangerous chasing KOMs as it is.

Turn on the Strava, forget about it and ride whatever the hell you want and the program will let you know if you are getting better over time - it's called PRs.

Keep your 50, spend it on jersey or something.

mtbr member
    Rocky I admire your goal setting and effort to put your money where you mouth is. The only issue is that despite how good you get someone is always faster than you. You could knock off 10 minutes on that segment only to have someone else who is a superhuman go 12 minutes faster.

PR's is the way to go. Keep picking up the pace and keep the pressure up. Even so don't just run this loop over and over again. Run 4-5 loops and try to get faster on each one.

Good luck with your goals!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Damn, if you gonna ride same loop over and over again- you already failed.

Last thing you want to do is put money on Strava - people are way too dangerous chasing KOMs as it is.

Turn on the Strava, forget about it and ride whatever the hell you want and the program will let you know if you are getting better over time - it's called PRs.

Keep your 50, spend it on jersey or something.
    i understand that some foks really hate strava for philosophical/spiritual reasons. i should have been clearer about that.

if you hate strava it stands to reason this little challenge isnt for you.

mtbr member
    i understand that some foks really hate strava for philosophical/spiritual reasons. i should have been clearer about that.

if you hate strava it stands to reason this little challenge isnt for you.
    I love Strava and I know Metal is on it too. However despite how competitive I am take Strava KOM with a grain of salt. I enjoy it if I can get a KOM and where there are segment I tend to push harder, but to put money down on anything in Strava is just pushing it. Two reasons. 1) Some people will cheat the system. especially if there is $$ on the line, 2) there is ALWAYS some one faster. I am a solid rider, but not KOM material everywhere. I can hold my own in a race or group ride and even place pretty solid in some segments, but all it takes is a real fast person to show up and they will knock me down. I don't see that as weakness on my part, but only that there are people who a stronger.

Even here on this forum there are people who are simply faster than me. Trying to be the fastest of all is a nearly impossible goal. I understand pushing yourself, but do it where you have control. You can set a goal of being XX minutes faster or ask a guy like Raybum to set a "benchmark" time and see how you can do vs it. Race yourself and you have chance of achievement. Race everyone in the state you will likely fail.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I love Strava and I know Metal is on it too. However despite how competitive I am take Strava KOM with a grain of salt. I enjoy it if I can get a KOM and where there are segment I tend to push harder, but to put money down on anything in Strava is just pushing it. Two reasons. 1) Some people will cheat the system. especially if there is $$ on the line, 2) there is ALWAYS some one faster. I am a solid rider, but not KOM material everywhere. I can hold my own in a race or group ride and even place pretty solid in some segments, but all it takes is a real fast person to show up and they will knock me down. I don't see that as weakness on my part, but only that there are people who a stronger.

Even here on this forum there are people who are simply faster than me. Trying to be the fastest of all is a nearly impossible goal. I understand pushing yourself, but do it where you have control. You can set a goal of being XX minutes faster or ask a guy like Raybum to set a "benchmark" time and see how you can do vs it. Race yourself and you have chance of achievement. Race everyone in the state you will likely fail.
    i harbor no illlusions about actually winning this thing, joe. the next person to ride it will likely beat my 56 min lap time. but if a few others join me in this come as you are competition it will be fun chasing their times duing the summer. just an experiment in friendly competition using strava which i hope will provide me with a little additional motivation.

mtbr member

Race me.

Rocky I will join you. I don't expect to win, but will use this as motivation. I'm 36, 5'11" and 205. I work a 4-10 schedule but my days start at 3:30 AM and I don't get home until about 5:30 PM(my commute sucks). On top of my work schedule, I have a beautiful 3 yo daughter who expects me to play with her as soon as I get home until the time I go to bed. Oh yeah, my wife is also working on her Masters at NAU; so not a lot of free time for me.

Thanks for the motivation and hopefully I'll meet you on the trail someday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post

If it gets him out riding more and gets other people out too, it's a good thing. It's better than him forking 50 bones over to a gym or personal trainer. Let him spend his money how he wants.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Rocky I will join you. I don't expect to win, but will use this as motivation. I'm 36, 5'11" and 205. I work a 4-10 schedule but my days start at 3:30 AM and I don't get home until about 5:30 PM(my commute sucks). On top of my work schedule, I have a beautiful 3 yo daughter who expects me to play with her as soon as I get home until the time I go to bed. Oh yeah, my wife is also working on her Masters at NAU; so not a lot of free time for me.

Thanks for the motivation and hopefully I'll meet you on the trail someday.
    Sweet! Look forward to seeing your times on the Strava, JD.

Here's a more-better link to the actual Orion Springs TT segment: Strava Segment | Orion Spring TT

mtbr member
    Glad you got a playmate. It'll be interesting to see how your times improve over the summer.

$50 well spent!
    Good luck
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds fun...Don't listen to the Strava hating purists!!!

mtbr member
    Sounds fun. But, can you do a segment in Phoenix instead (many more riders down here)? Maybe on the Sonoran Trail or something?

mtbr member
    Yeah do it on Sonoran. Salstrand will take your lunch money.

Ahhh the pain....
    Yeah do it on Sonoran. Salstrand will take your lunch money.
    ^^^ Ha ha...exactly!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Glad you got a playmate. It'll be interesting to see how your times improve over the summer.

$50 well spent!
    Good luck
    already lost the KOM. and at least one other ringer has ridden it counter-clockwise... wait til he rides it the right way.

mtbr member
    already lost the KOM. and at least one other ringer has ridden it counter-clockwise... wait til he rides it the right way.
    Figures Chris G. would have already proved his need to be KOM.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Get your KOM back bro!
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Figures Chris G. would have already proved his need to be KOM.
    by six minutes. dang. but he is at the top of his game; i am at the bottom of mine.

not ready to concede this yet... ample summertime riding ahead.

mtbr member
    Every time I see the title of this I thread I think of this....

kind of fits the theme

slower than you
    Every time I see the title of this I thread I think of this....

kind of fits the theme
    your intent feels a bit mean-spirited, metal. that's what i think. but a good old song nevertheless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast