my dog's Frisbee launcher

R/R: Mt Union, Prescott

OK in honor of Dean (dstepper) and Mike(Geronimo) (from SoCal's-STR site)who visited over thanksgiving but had to go home today I thought I would post up a ride report for you guys.... and hopefully entice some of my slacker friends out to Prescott from SoCal.
    So here goes...We started out from the 307 trail head (Spruce Mt) and headed south on Senator highway we stopped by an old mine for some pics (some cool graffiti art)
    and climbed on to Poland Rd and headed east up to Mt Union for a PB&J sandwich and some hot chocolate on the sun deck Mmmm good after our snack we headed over to the Yankee Doodle trail head - I was a bit weary about this trail I had not ridden it in a very long time and had heard it was in terrible condition and for the most part it was , but we do well on the school bus (it's hard to OTB a tandem)
    but we had to keep stopping for man made obstacles not sure what was up with that..."rock fairies" I guess...we must have them up here in Prescott as well.
    So we turned off on to trail 285 and headed down to potato patch this trail was way fun in a very scary way lots of loose sharp baby heads and every time I stopped to walk a section my stoker Christi would call me a "sissy-baby" so back on we would ride me with my eyes closed. Well we got to potato patch safe and sound but running short of time so we cut out Isabella Tr and and 307 and headed west on Walker Rd past Hassayampa lake to Senator highway and back to the van.
    we started at about 6200 ft and Mt Union is 7979 ft
    and we logged about 14 miles

here's the pics:

the mine just off Senator highway

some graffiti art

more graffiti art

Mt Union tower

"The Sun Deck"

Yankee Doodle Tr 284 "rock fairies" (no not Christi)

more Yankee Doodle Tr 284 "rock fairies"

potato patch Trail 285 the good part

potato patch Trail 285 what the rest of the Trail looked like

and good old Hassayampa Lake

Cheers everyone
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    Very nice, Billy! Hope you can get more of your CA crew out here to spend some time. Nice pics; thanks for sharing. Looks like a bone-shaker.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Very nice, Billy! Hope you can get more of your CA crew out here to spend some time. Nice pics; thanks for sharing. Looks like a bone-shaker.

Greg
    A bone shaker it was, felt like I was in a pinball game but it was loads of fun.
    there was photo op I missed at the top of YD. I was worried about the trail
    condition and the first thing we see is a adopt-a-trail sign with a very large tree that had fallen on it...needs some work up there.

it would be nice if the "Rock Fairies" would work to "fix the trail" instead of spending all that time making the trail impassable
    the upper part of YD has many obstructions every 50 to 100 yards or so.
    I wish I could have taken more pics but did not have the time
    I did call the Bradshaw Ranger District and let them know about it.

there was a spot on Tr 285 where a tree had blocked the trail and a Quad cut the switchback and caused damage...I called up an old friend who rides quads he said he and his buds will be out to fix it ASAP (good guy an old school Mt biker)
    they may also fix the fairies obstructions and take pictures for the F/S ( thanks Bob)

Peace, Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cool. I almost never get over to that neck of the woods. Maybe I'm skeered. Isn't that where the chupacabra hangs out?

Great photos. Would you mind if we used a couple of those for the Raven site?

Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    Cool. I almost never get over to that neck of the woods. Maybe I'm skeered. Isn't that where the chupacabra hangs out?

Great photos. Would you mind if we used a couple of those for the Raven site?

Thanks Christophe,
    sure you can use the photos....sorry about the date code my camera is in the shop.

you think maybe chupacabr = Rock Fairies???
    Darwin was an Optimist