mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quickie PHX trip....

If we get rained/snowed out at Gooseberry Mesa next week, we're heading for PHX. It will literally be a 2 day out and back. I've read the sticky (from 2005 and very jumbled) so what (2) or (3) 20-25 mile rides would you suggest we try to ride if we end up in PHX. We can stay wherever we need to so we're not nailed down to one area.

Our group will consist of (3) 40+ year old riders riding a couple of carbon Tallboys and a carbon Nomad. Have ridden all over the Southwest and don't mind climbing, techy, whatever....if you're familiar with the areas, we all like everything in SW Utah and the Kokopelli Trails of Fruita.

Happy Trails

Quickie PHX trip....

One option: Stay in Fountain Hills and ride McDowell Mountain Park. In addition to the the fun competitive loops, you can climb across Bell Pass or Windgate Pass to the Scottsdale side, and explore the park on Coachwhip, Windmill, Dixie Mine and new Lariat Trail. Also ride the 16 mile Pemberton cross-country loop including the brand spankin' new new northwestern section of Pemberton. (I rode in both directions this weekend, CCW uphill from the parking lot trailhead and downhill CW starting from near the top of the park.) It's not quite single track, more like oneandahalftrack. But is curvy with a lot of flow for a big loop. We've had some rain lately and the trails are a little rutted in a few places, but sticky tacky gravel and awesome overall conditions. I have two thirty mile loops in my Strava from earlier this week you can check if you decide on McDowells.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 02-10-2013 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    BCT. From Emery Henderson or Rock Springs. Easy to cover 20-25 and have a great ride. Good climbs, Techy enough to make think about it, but no HAB and it really feels like it is going somewhere.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Another Black Canyon Trail route would be from Bumble Bee to Antelope Creek and back. 28mi. and some change. I found a link of the ride profile although this person took Crown King Rd. out to Antelope Creek. I would ride the single track out and back.
    Can you hear me now?

Kathleen in AZ
    If you're coming to Phx you must ride National Trail at South Mountain. Start at Pima Canyon, head east to west and end where National crosses San Juan Road (~14 miles). Depending on how much energy you have left, you can either take trails all the way back or head up the hill on the road to Buena Vista parking lot then shoot back downhill to your vehicles on National. You'll get some super technical climbing, some hike-a-bike, some nice rolling single track, fun descents, and great views of the city. National is our landmark trail - don't miss it! Armor is highly suggested, as is tire sealant.

Quickie PHX trip....-img_6708-xl.jpg

You can then take it down a notch and follow up the next day with an out and back on BCT on your way out of town if heading north on I17 or maybe detour to the east side of town for the spectacular views and desert experience of Gold Canyon K-trails. Both BCT and Gold Canyon are much more XC than South Mountain.

Quickie PHX trip....-_mg_6453-xl.jpg

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    If you're coming to Phx you must ride National Trail at South Mountain. Start at Pima Canyon, head east to west and end where National crosses San Juan Road (~14 miles). Depending on how much energy you have left, you can either take trails all the way back or head up the hill on the road to Buena Vista parking lot then shoot back downhill to your vehicles on National. You'll get some super technical climbing, some hike-a-bike, some nice rolling single track, fun descents, and great views of the city. National is our landmark trail - don't miss it! Armor is highly suggested, as is tire sealant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6708-XL.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	770779

You can then take it down a notch and follow up the next day with an out and back on BCT on your way out of town if heading north on I17 or maybe detour to the east side of town for the spectacular views and desert experience of Gold Canyon K-trails. Both BCT and Gold Canyon are much more XC than South Mountain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_6453-XL.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	770781
    as as substitute for Gooseberry you have to ride South Mountain, National trail.

I'd also suggest the Pass Mtn loop in East Mesa, with some other items in the park or a quick 2 hr ride at Hawes nearby.