Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Question for Stans users

856 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Paul B 
#1 ·
To anyone who uses stans or similar (esp. homebrew) here in the desert: I'm wondering if you have problems with increased evaporation of your solvent due to the heat (i.e. ending up with a layer of dried latex in your tire). I'm using a homebrew sealant (1 part slime, 1 part mold builder, 2-3 parts water) and was wondering if I should replace the water with something that may evaporate less quickly. I've seen quite a few recipies that suggest winshield wiper fluid to prevent/slow evaporation but this doesn't really make sense to me as alcohol, amonia, etc all have lower boiling points than water and should theoretically evaporate more quickly at high temps (I knew that degree in Biochem would come in handy someday!!). Anyone with any experience?

Thanks

Jeff

#2 ·
I've had some problems w/that. The Stans mix turned to a ball of latex and the homebrew put a nice layer of latex on the tire and rimstrip.

Your point about the windex is spot on - most people have been adding that to aid evaporation when the tire has been breached but it might be unnecessary in these parts.

My current brew seems to be holding up well - but there's 2 problems w/it. 1. there's no way I want to dismount the tire to check and 2. the recipe is such a hodge-podge now that I'm not sure if I could re-create it.

I would think that your current recipe should be ok - keep us posted on your findings

#3 ·
jjs said:
To anyone who uses stans or similar (esp. homebrew) here in the desert: I'm wondering if you have problems with increased evaporation of your solvent due to the heat (i.e. ending up with a layer of dried latex in your tire). I'm using a homebrew sealant (1 part slime, 1 part mold builder, 2-3 parts water) and was wondering if I should replace the water with something that may evaporate less quickly. I've seen quite a few recipies that suggest winshield wiper fluid to prevent/slow evaporation but this doesn't really make sense to me as alcohol, amonia, etc all have lower boiling points than water and should theoretically evaporate more quickly at high temps (I knew that degree in Biochem would come in handy someday!!). Anyone with any experience?

Thanks

Jeff
Interesting recipe. Mine is 1 part mold builder : 4 parts sealant : 2 parts water. But I haven't experimented that much. My previous was 1 part mold builder : 1 part sealant :2 parts water, which worked okay but didn't seem to have much lifespan.

I think the biggest issue, for me, has been the bead drying out and releasing. My next strategy is going to be to watch for low, not flat, tires, and then hit the tube with a fresh batch of just slime and water -- maybe 4 total ozzes, half and half -- since the latex will have already done its thing in sealing the tire. This is easy with a schraeder valve.

p.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.