mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question for the Prescott guys:

If I were passing through Prescott on a morning next week while heading back to the valley from Vegas and wanted to ride a trail while passing through, what would be the one that is:

90% + singlettrack
    marked well (so I don't lose my way)
    has a decent combination of tech/cc
    has loop options between 6-15 miles

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Best experience, probably trail 305 or 396. They are not loops, but out-and-backs. It's hard to make a loop on 100% singletrack AND have it be marked extremely well AND have it be high quality trail surface. Granite Basin kind of does it, but it's sandy and if you are not familiar with the area, it might be hard to know you are on the right trails, plus even 347 isn't much fun to come back on and the alternative 345 is frustrating for some people.

The cool thing about 305 is if you feel good, at the end, you can cross the road and keep going up 297, which is a blast to come down. 305 is near Lynx Lake.

396 is near Goldwater Lake. A good out-and-back is up the Wolverton trail directly across the parking area for the Whitespar campground.

Otherwise, I would suggest Granite Basin, it's where we have a little tech, the tech exists on 345, 352, 40 (downhill direction suggested only), and 341. These trails are quite different from the more alpine/transition trails higher up in the mountains around Prescott.

Prescott Arizona Area Trail Maps
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Happy Trails

Question for the Prescott guys:

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Best experience, probably trail 305 or 396. They are not loops, but out-and-backs. It's hard to make a loop on 100% singletrack AND have it be marked extremely well AND have it be high quality trail surface. Granite Basin kind of does it, but it's sandy and if you are not familiar with the area, it might be hard to know you are on the right trails, plus even 347 isn't much fun to come back on and the alternative 345 is frustrating for some people.

The cool thing about 305 is if you feel good, at the end, you can cross the road and keep going up 297, which is a blast to come down. 305 is near Lynx Lake.

396 is near Goldwater Lake. A good out-and-back is up the Wolverton trail directly across the parking area for the Whitespar campground.

Otherwise, I would suggest Granite Basin, it's where we have a little tech, the tech exists on 345, 352, 40 (downhill direction suggested only), and 341. These trails are quite different from the more alpine/transition trails higher up in the mountains around Prescott.

Prescott Arizona Area Trail Maps
    A+. Cred fo' you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Jayem!

I appreciate the help. I've not ridden there but want to try it out and turns out I'll be going back and forth from Vegas to PHX and I figure why not make the most of it. I was hoping to not start from scratch and your info will help so thanks again!

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    I am not a local but was up there today and rode 308/345 from Williamson Valley Trailhead to Granite Basin Lake, then took 351/348/347 back. 345 had some challenging spots where I had to get off and take a few steps but overall I really enjoyed the ride, nice variety of terrain and made a good loop ride. 347 is a blast going down to the north.
    - Brian

Big B's Trails
    Don't forget to ride Vegas while your here...BBT, Cowboy, AET, Cottonwood, Bootleg at BC, Kyle Cyn if its HOT! Also Kingman Az has a really cool trail system on the nw side of town( monolith gardens). You literally drive right past( less than a mile from the highway) bootleg and monolith gardens .
    I dig dirt!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Don't forget to ride Vegas while your here...BBT, Cowboy, AET, Cottonwood, Bootleg at BC, Kyle Cyn if its HOT!
    Cowboy Trails are some of the best around...