Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Question about National

I've never ridden National before, but I think I've got my courage worked up to try it. I see National referred to as upper and lower. What's the difference? Which one will you hit first if you start out at 48th St and go west?

I hear a lot of guys say you should go up Mormon and down National. Easier? More fun?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Depends on who you talk to. For me, Upper National is the portion between Buena Vista to the "split" area where National and Mormon converge. Lower National is the portion between that "split" and the fireroad. It's really all one trail.

I typically prefer to climb National rather than Mormon, but it's significantly more technical. Bring your lungs/legs.

Prime
    I agree with Blatant. Climbing National is more "interesting". It's all tough, you're riding a bicycle up the side of a mountain. One advantage to going up Mormon is the connector to get you down to National, it's a quick but fast and fun little run. I'm going up there today, noon30ish, up Natty and down Geronimo, road to East Loop (or Javelina if I still have legs left).

mtbr member
    E- you have got the chops to ride National. Last time I was there was on the 29SS with some of the NCC guys last summer. We climbed up Mormon and down all of National. Big-O got a lot of video that day. I need to do it on the FS bike before I get rid of it though, just to see what its like.

Prime
    I was on that ride with you cstem, you tore it up, especially considering what you were riding. I'm heading up in an hour, gear up!!

mtbr member
    +2.

Personally, if you're going up, I'd recommend Mormon up, National down.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    cstem- what gears you run while climimbing nat on a 29ss?

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    cstem- what gears you run while climbing nat on a 29ss?
    When I took mine up there I was running 32x20. I felt like I climbed the same stuff I do on my 1x9. Rigid as well. Now that was different experience. A little extra finesse was needed.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Shovel Ready
    Walk what you don't like E. I have done the Mormon up National down route a few times. It is a very enjoyable route. National is a step up on the tech side compared to the normal stuff we have ridden together at PMP.

Might even add the section to the waterfall (head west at the M to N junction) before heading back down National. It adds a couple more nice little tech spots.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Jeez, what a bucket of fail I had today.

First, I decided to try to "climb" National. I never had so much HAB in my life. I'm like the HAB pro now. Okay, it was a little better past the waterfall. I went to just before Buena Vista before turning around.

Then, I noticed it was getting dark. I figured trying to fight my way back down National without the aid of proper depth perception would be a bad idea, so I decided to take Mormon, not Mormon Loop, like I was supposed to, Mormon. That's just as bad as National, and it was really getting dark fast by then.

I finally get to the bottom of Mormon, walking most of the way. I don't know the lines, and it's pretty much too dark to make the judgment calls on the fly. Where da fook am I? Oh, okay, I'm off 24th St., but my truck is at 48th. So I ride on the street back to 48th St. I figure it's got the least "get lost" potential. I made it back, but damn, what a failure of a trip.

I'll go back, but I definitely need a group that knows what's up. That self guide stuff didn't work today.

Prime
    What time did you head out? From Pima Canyon TH? I was putting my stuff away about 4:30ish, silver Pathfinder with a rack on back. Yeah, the National climb is not easy. I went up National to Buena Vista, took Geronimo down, but instead of going through the Boy Scout camp I went on the other Geronimo that nobody rides. Now I know why nobody rides it.

Pivotal figure
    Oh damn! That sounds so much like my 1st trip out there. I also rode Mormon because the trail book said it was easier than Nat'l, which is true IF you stay on Mormon Loop The 24th Street descent is pretty harsh, even on a full DH rig.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Huffy Rider
    You didn't ride Mormon down.... You rode 24th st.... My most favorite trail btw! Next time go up Mormon so you know how to get back down!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, you rode 24th, which is my favorite trail out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    What time did you head out? From Pima Canyon TH? I was putting my stuff away about 4:30ish, silver Pathfinder with a rack on back.
    Were you some old guy playing with a cell phone? I pulled in right as you were leaving.

Oh, yeah, and I broke the skewer that holds the thru axle on my fork in place. Brushed up against a rock and it snapped off. The axle itself is fine, but it kept unscrewing. I just needed to do an endo or two and it would have been a perfect trip.

Shred...it's the new drug
    E...we ride out there all the time. That's my backyard. Up morm, down nat. up nat, down morm, up/down both...it's all good. We did a up/down morm to javelina the other night under the moon...no lights I've been riding these trails for 4 years now and they keep getting better and stay challenging. I HaB a ton on Natty and a little on mormon, but less and less each time out. come out for shuttles to get the full tour with some fast guys Keep at that stuff and it'll pay off in dividends.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm hopefully going to ride there tomorrow at 4:30. I'm thinking of going up national as far as light permits and then down national. Momon sounds like something I'd normally prefer to ride up, but I figure since it will be my first time there riding up national and seeing what I'll be coming back down will be a good thing.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Were you some old guy playing with a cell phone?
    Um, yeah. Had to let my wife know that I made it down in one piece. I don't wear my bifocals riding, so it took me a while to send a simple message.

Pivotal figure
    "24th Street" is in fact Mormon Trail, that's where the confusion always comes in. Here's a nice spot for the official maps of SoMtn...
    http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...hprintwest.pdf

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...hprinteast.pdf
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Oh, yeah, and I broke the skewer that holds the thru axle on my fork in place. Brushed up against a rock and it snapped off. The axle itself is fine, but it kept unscrewing. I just needed to do an endo or two and it would have been a perfect trip.
    Aside from the skewer mishap, how'd the TBLTa work out for you?
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Aside from the skewer mishap, how'd the TBLTa work out for you?
    It's a good bike. I can tell I'm getting more and more confident on it. If you gave one to somebody with skills, he could do horrible, horrible things on it. I'm definitely only going to do National again with some guys who know what's up. There's a lot of bad news potential out there, for sure.

Oh, and as far as the skewer goes, I was looking at a replacement online and those damn things are $55 for a complete one, or $30 for the bolt. I got a $2 piece of threaded rod at ACE and cut it down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    cstem- what gears you run while climimbing nat on a 29ss?
    I ran a 32x18 then- but in my current physical condition would run a 20t max. 20t just makes it "un-fun" when the trail slants down at all.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with a little romantic hike with your bike! I want to go, but I just put my HiFi up for sale/bid and don't want to break it. Can't give away the details but got a little plan to build up a pretty sweet 29SS. Anyone got any BB7 calipers they want to sell?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'll ride it with you Sleazy,

I rode (and hiked) it this evening from Pima lot: East loop out around the golf course and broke it off to the climb up the golf course hill after the wash and down towards the apartments (don't know the name of that section), hooked up with Beverly Canyon by the apartments and took it to the 46th St parking lot, through the lot to Javelina and up that to Mormon loop, up Mormon loop to National, then down National to the fire road and back to truck.

I ran out of daylight without lights, but if I had em', I'd have taken Mormon loop back up and return back down Javelina to the lot then Beverly back to east loop return or any of those other trails around there.

Good ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottnAZ View Post
    I'll ride it with you Sleazy,

I rode (and hiked) it this evening from Pima lot: East loop out around the golf course and broke it off to the climb up the golf course hill after the wash and down towards the apartments (don't know the name of that section), hooked up with Beverly Canyon by the apartments and took it to the 46th St parking lot, through the lot to Javelina and up that to Mormon loop, up Mormon loop to National, then down National to the fire road and back to truck.

I ran out of daylight without lights, but if I had em', I'd have taken Mormon loop back up and return back down Javelina to the lot then Beverly back to east loop return or any of those other trails around there.

Good ride!
    I just Youtubed most of that. Definitely looks like more the kind of stuff I'd feel good about.

Lemme know, man. You know my schedule isn't exactly "tight" these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast