Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I am Walt

Quadruple Bypass Ride Report

I'll post more later, since I'm just wiped out right now. I think 7 of us completed the Quad together at 5 pm - 8 hours and 20 minutes after launching. There was another group that took off and finished about an hour earlier. But we (our group) had been waiting for all the riders at various points. The total number that started together was in the high-30's.

That's the longest, hardest mountain bike ride I've ever done. Hell, it's the longest anything I've ever done. It hurt like hell - I was fighting cramps most of the day after Paradise, but it is extremely satisfying to have completed it. I had my doubts, particularly after coming down Sunrise and heading up the road/dirt road towards Golden Eagle. That was my low point emotionally. But our small group held together and got one another through it.

It was a great day to be out there riding, and the camraderie was fantastic. Huge kudos and props to DurtGurl (Kathleen), who was the only woman to complete the Quad...and she was smiling at the end (probably thinking of her hot tub). And to NardoSS and ionsmuse (Dave from Prescitt..) who finished it on singlespeeds, with Dave on a freaking rigid!

Only one real crash - cycljunkie took a hard digger on the last switchback at the bottom of Sunrise and cracked his helmet and banged himself up pretty good. So he bailed to the road after Sunrise, but that was the only real crash-out. No major mechanicals; not even many flats - hell, I know of only titusbro (Pat) that flatted (twice).

The trails were in great shape - they are getting better and better. Boy, that Paradise is a hoot. And the RIP9 just rocked all day - on the climbs, and especially on all the long downhills. That's the best I've felt on all those trails, and the fastest I've taken them.

Thanks to Pat again for the snack wagon at Golden Eagle - that was a lifesaver..again. I never thought we'd make it there on that damn dirt road.

I'll post more later, with some pics, though I don't have many pics because I was just too damn tired most of the time to summon up the energy to take pictures. I was just focused on one pedal rotation after another.

Also learned much re the logistics and timing for this ride. Wondering if we should make this an annual affair, or twice a year... Definitely has to be cool weather - not a ride for hot temps.
    Last edited by waltaz; 01-28-2007 at 08:54 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

Salty Dog

... and if we just ... Great day for a GREAT Ride!

Hey Kids,

Sorry I had to bail after Paradise. My legs were mush after racing yesterday and I honestly didn't think it wise to try to continue on old and worn out legs. Next time we give this a shot I will try to do it with old and fresh legs and see if it makes a difference.

KUDOS to all of you who completed it, regardless of time needed.

Kathleen, you ROCK, Girl!

Nice to meet new friends! A really good group of people.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    First of all, su.ling, DurtGurl, titusbro and chongoman, x-post your posts from the other Quad thread here...I wanted to do a new thread.

I'll post more later, since I'm just wiped out right now. I think 7 of us completed the Quad together at 5 pm - 8 hours and 20 minutes after launching. There was another group that took off and finished about an hour earlier. But we (our group) had been waiting for all the riders at various points. The total number that started together was in the high-30's.

That's the longest, hardest mountain bike ride I've ever done. Hell, it's the longest anything I've ever done. It hurt like hell - I was fighting cramps most of the day after Paradise, but it is extremely satisfying to have completed it. I had my doubts, particularly after coming down Sunrise and heading up the road/dirt road towards Golden Eagle. That was my low point emotionally. But our small group held together and got one another through it.

It was a great day to be out there riding, and the camraderie was fantastic. Huge kudos and props to DurtGurl (Kathleen), who was the only woman to complete the Quad...and she was smiling at the end (probably thinking of her hot tub).

Only one real crash - cycljunkie took a hard digger on the last switchback at the bottom of Sunrise and cracked his helmet and banged himself up pretty good. So he bailed to the road after Sunrise, but that was the only real crash-out. No major mechanicals; not even many flats - hell, I know of only titusbro (Pat) that flatted (twice).

The trails were in great shape - they are getting better and better. Boy, that Paradise is a hoot. And the RIP9 just rocked all day - on the climbs, and especially on all the long downhills. That's the best I've felt on all those trails, and the fastest I've taken them.

Thanks to Pat again for the snack wagon at Golden Eagle - that was a lifesaver..again. I never thought we'd make it there on that damn dirt road.

I'll post more later, with some pics, though I don't have many pics because I was just too damn tired most of the time to summon up the energy to take pictures. I was just focused on one pedal rotation after another.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member
    What can I say, that ride rocked!

Thanks Walt for organizing this beast, and thanks Pat providing the SAG Wagon.

Tired, very tired, must go to bed.

Peace y'all,

Sam

wrecking crew
    I am soooooo proud of Kathleen (DurtGurl)!!! She was the only chick to complete the whole Quadruple Bypass today! Also to the guys that completed it too...but I'm partial.

I bailed after the double with about 8 or 10 others. Just wasn't cuttin' it on a heavier bike. Lighter next time! I didn't want the rest of the wrecking crew to have to stop there so they continued on and I drove over to the Sunrise DH TH and picking them up there.

This was a major effort and all that made the whole ride are phenomenal riders! The Double was rough, the Triple was even more so, but the Quad must've been really painful.
    ~~~

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    I am soooooo proud of Kathleen (DurtGurl)!!! She was the only chick to complete the whole Quadruple Bypass today! Also to the guys that completed it too...but I'm partial.

I bailed after the double with about 8 or 10 others. Just wasn't cuttin' it on a heavier bike. Lighter next time! I didn't want the rest of the wrecking crew to have to stop there so they continued on and I drove over to the Sunrise DH TH and picking them up there.

This was a major effort and all that made the whole ride are phenomenal riders! The Double was rough, the Triple was even more so, but the Quad must've been really painful.

Yes Kathleen RULES!
    This was the longest mbt ride with the most climbing I have ever done. I wasn't sure I had it in me. What a kick a** ride. Thanks to walt for pulling it together and thanks to Pat for hooking up the chuckwagon. Gatoraide and food was definitely needed at that point.
    this was an awesome day, with beautiful views and great people to ride with. Now I am going to pass out on the couch.
    sorry no photos. I forgot my stupid memory card . I was working way to hard to take many photos anyway.

RHRF!

Titusbro's View of the World...

Here's my 'Ride Review' w/pics and stats...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...85030#poststop
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Kathleen in AZ
    Elements of a perfect day:

hot tub dip to tame the bedhead and prepare the bod. easy drive to easy starting point. primo trail conditions. good like-minded people to share the adventure. tuna wraps. perpetuem in the water bottle. a ride planner with a big heart and big smile. beautiful day with perfect temps. two Advil from Nardo. final descent swoops you back to the parking lot. Las Taquitas burrito. 1554. hot tub soak to ease the sore muscles.

Thanks to Walt for organizing, to Pat for the mid-ride refreshments, and to all who rode. What a spectacular day.

Happy trails

great ride

i decided to bail at the base of sunrise due to some serious calf cramping.brought tears to my little eyes.that was my first ride on the paradise trail,what a great section.lots of fun.
    walt's map got me on the right track to surface street it back to the start point.the road ride seemed to work out most of the cramps.i guess a double and an 1/8 was enough for me today.
    great to hear that a good sized group did the whole quad.
    Aaron

Dave here in Prescott, safe, sound, and clean (after inhaling two In n' Out double-doubles on the way home).

Big ups to Walt for putting this together, it's a classic ride, and a great introduction to Valley riding.

Cheers to Pat also, best Payday I've ever tasted.

Days don't get to much better, look forward to doing something like it again with ya'll. I've got some good ones for this summer when you low-landers are looking to get away.

And to all a good night.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Elements of a perfect day:
    Kathleen, you totally rock! I'm toasting you with an ice cold Pacifico. Wish I could've finished the quad! Kudos to all that did. Awesome riders, all of you!
    Can you hear me now?

Fragile - must be Italian
    What a fantastic day! The ride was certainly long and hard, but in the end it was a great way to spend a Sunday.

It's been a long time since I've ridden this long and hard on the mountain bike. It felt great...cathartic even. Kudos to Walt for oragnizing the day.

I had no idea how the new Titus ML would work for me on the ride. As I figured, climbs were a bit harder than on the NRS. But the descents were oooohhhhh soooooooo sweeeeet, especially Bell Pass. I had a smile on my face the entire way down.

Also props to Kathleen (Durt Gurl) for making the entire ride -- the ONLY woman to earn this honor. Way to go!!

As soon as I get the GPS download from my friend's Garmin, I'll post it up.

Thx...Doug

parenting for gnarness
    Great day, thanks to all for good spirit and Walt and Pat for org. I was in the forward group, and we missed the rest stop, so I owe you guys a $5 next time around. Big thanks to the fellas in my group, it was really nice to know some of you guys were watching my back. It was a pleasure riding with such strong riders and nice guys. Most of our group wound up going over Bell for the last climb. I pushed on alone to Windgate, .25 mile down the split from Bell I blew my tubeless tire. DOH!!! Walked the downhill hoping the leak would seal, then spent another 15 min getting covered in Stan's while I put in my spare. So now the pucker factor was upped -- riding alone with 1 bypass and a rocky descent to go, a slightly-underinflated tube, bent valve stem, and no spare. Fortunately it all ended well and I got back to the cars at 4:40. Sorry I missed everyone I had a cold 12pack of Sam Adams to share.

Those of you from Scottsdale, you are lucky to have such challenging climbs so close by. I will do these again. Windgate\Bell w. Paradise thrown in for fun sounds like a great, civilized day. Sunrise up and over was great fun too.

I want to organize a Hawes\PassMtn BIG DAY now!!!

mtbr member
    I had a blast Thanks for putting it together Walt.

The downhill after sunrise was a blast, I had some serious speed going down! I was always in control but I think I scared the heck out of a few hikers; people were jumping off the trail way before I even made the corner and they were on the next straight so I slowed to about 1mph while actually passing them. I had a blast on the 6-pack but next time I'll most likely bring the hardtail since it's a better climber.

The hunger was amazing after I finished too. Next time I'll eat more during the ride.

Great ride everyone.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    What was the total mileage?
    I've nothing to add....

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    What was the total mileage?
    Dale's map from the participation thread shows ~31 miles

Meatpuppet
    Thanks Walt, even though I pansied out after Sunrise I had a great ride.
    I have never cramped up before, but my right quad on Sunrise was freakin out.
    Great time everyone.
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

parenting for gnarness

I ended up with 34 miles

I did Ringtail off of Lost Dog, otherwise as per the route.

Maybe walking makes the mileage more

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Maybe walking makes the mileage more
    It only feels that way (not that I would know, I had to bail after Bell Pass).

NardoSS
    I had a smokin time yesterday. Walt, thanks for taking the time in getting that together. Pat, as always, the half way sag was fantastic! Good meeting both of you, Sam and Dave. I know our group was left holding the lantern, but sometimes those are the best rides. Good ride, good people.

Oh, quote of the ride. "Hey Doug, go puke for Walt."

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    ...then spent another 15 min getting covered in Stan's while I put in my spare. I want to organize a Hawes\PassMtn BIG DAY now!!!
    Try adding mica flakes/dust to your Stan's mix to help it clot faster next time you prep your tubeless tire. You can find it at Michael's in the paper making section. Stan's is composed of water, liquid latex, and mica flakes/dust. I'm also down for a Hawes/Passmtn day.

Kathleen in AZ
    I've been trying to figure out which was harder for me - FOTP (longer miles, more saddle time) or Walt's Quad (more climbing, more dirt, more body rattling all day long). It's kind of a toss-up for me. I feel just about the same the day after - worked but not totally spent. Wishing for a nap mid-day, but with a big smile on my face all day long.

Leadville puts this into perspective a bit... imagine trying to do about 3 of the quadruple bypasses at >10,000' elevation in under 12 hours. Yea, that's Leadville. Holy crap, that would hurt.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Good ride, thanks for organizing it Walt. I knew I was in bad shape, but this ride really drove that point home. I'm now motivated to get out and ride more.

Here's some random pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am Doctor Remulak
    one more
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Those trails look like fun! I should ride in Arizona soon!

mtbr member
    Looks like a great ride. Anyone up for a weekday repeat at the end of February?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Looks like a great ride. Anyone up for a weekday repeat at the end of February?
    I may have to think about that...
    Ride more; post less...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast