Rides the Desert

Pyramid Peak/ North of CAP Canal

Ive been riding a lot out in the desert north of the CAP canal in north phoenix. The area is near Sonoran Preserve and Deem Hills but is not a designated preserve area. Way to get there is from Happy Valley and 51st ave, turn north on 51st and follow it all the way up through the neighboorhood until you reach a bridge over the canal which is blocked by some baricades on the other side. You will be unable to drive back there, but there is a hole cut in the fence that you can lift you bike through and climb over very easily. Once out there, head for the tallest mounntain in the area which is pyramid peak, or go explore for some good singletrack around the area. For me this area ranks above deem hills and sonoran preserve but is not as good as the BCT.

So besides just sharing my adventures, I also would like to know how many people actually ride out there and where the best trails can be found.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ltk1144 View Post
    Ive been riding a lot out in the desert north of the CAP canal in north phoenix. The area is near Sonoran Preserve and Deem Hills but is not a designated preserve area. Way to get there is from Happy Valley and 51st ave, turn north on 51st and follow it all the way up through the neighboorhood until you reach a bridge over the canal which is blocked by some baricades on the other side. You will be unable to drive back there, but there is a hole cut in the fence that you can lift you bike through and climb over very easily. Once out there, head for the tallest mounntain in the area which is pyramid peak, or go explore for some good singletrack around the area. For me this area ranks above deem hills and sonoran preserve but is not as good as the BCT.

So besides just sharing my adventures, I also would like to know how many people actually ride out there and where the best trails can be found.
    That area used to be a part of a weekly ride...I personally haven't been north of the canal in about 5 months.

I think RobZona used to be a part of those rides. For some reason, I can't find the old threads. But I believe they were riding pretty regular out there.....

mtbr member
    Where do you park at?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Where do you park at?
    The Park?

Deem Hills Park....

Rides the Desert
    You can park at the bridge. No one cares theyll just think youre goin to deems

Sent from my carrier pigeon

Let'er Buck
    Was out there saturday to much fun to be had out there bad part is your really not supposed to be there.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

Rides the Desert
    I think its state trust land and you can legally be there with a permit. No one has a permit though...

Sent from my carrier pigeon

mtbr member
    that area is state trust land and yes were have right to ride there, provided we have the permit. Not sure why the "keep out/no trespassing signs/blockades are there, since it's legal to access the area from other areas. Primarily to stop motor orv, dumping, etc.. I guess. And let's don't forget the "dust" problem...jeez.

Anyway, pyramid peak area is a good xc area. Large area of fun jeep roads, singletrack,and a few new tight st segments threading through the boulders at the bases of pyramid peak and the peaks to the west. Better trails and terrain than Pima/Dynamite IMO. It's my "backyard mtb playground"

Last year I was doing looong days of training out there, 4-5 20 mile loops, before old pueblo. Add Deem Hills(climbing) to 20-30 miles of riding on Pyramid Peak trails, and you've got one helluva good day of riding!

mtbr member
    yo kdimon..done the BCT shuttle yet? Thinking about this Sun. am. 3/11. Hwy 69-Bumble Bee? or BCC trailhead.

mtbr member
    Rob... do you have any Garmin maps of your rides there? I do Deem Hills a lot and would like to try the Peak! Like you, it is also my "backyard MTB playground"!
    -boom

Let'er Buck
    was thinking of doing the shuttle the only reason i am thinking not to is was going to do it next weekend for the spring fling. rob are you flinging i am planning t100 prefling sedona sat bct sun
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Rob... do you have any Garmin maps of your rides there? I do Deem Hills a lot and would like to try the Peak! Like you, it is also my "backyard MTB playground"!
    I've got one that I can post, but I won't be able to get to it untill sunday evening. It's from a night ride, so I'm not sure where we were, but it's in the area your talking about. RobZona and (I think) kdimon were leading a Tuesday night Deems hill ride, and we hit the area past the fence. Lotsa fun to be had back there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I've got one that I can post, but I won't be able to get to it untill sunday evening. It's from a night ride, so I'm not sure where we were, but it's in the area your talking about. RobZona and (I think) kdimon were leading a Tuesday night Deems hill ride, and we hit the area past the fence. Lotsa fun to be had back there!
    Thanks!

Would like to tag along with you guys on your next outing out there, if possible.
    -boom

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden out there in over a year. Search the forum for a thread called tuesday Night deems hill ride. RobZona was heading it up, but I don't think it's been posted for a while.

mtbr member
    A promised:

Tues night ride

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona

Better late than never

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    A promised:

Tues night ride

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona

Better late than never
    Thanks! This is practically in my backyard. I need to get out and ride it!
    -boom