How much further ???

Push/Strider bikes rule

I know many others have posted on these bikes but I have to say they are the coolest thing ever. We bought a Strider bike for my little guy for Xmas this past year, when he was only 16 months old. We didnt push him to ride it, we just helped him along when he showed interest. Only four months later he began lifting his feet for a few seconds at a time. Now at 21 months old he prefers to coast and can actually corner with his feet off the ground. There is a drainage area across our street with a 2 foot rock embankment. He loves to charge down one side and up the other.

I know everyone thinks their little one is the best and rightfully so, but I cant get over the balance, and bike control my little guy has and he isnt even 2 yet. He even drops off the back of the sadlle when he drop down the curb. I cant imagine how good he is going to be if he sticks with it. I am one proud dad and those Strider bikes really work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Push/Strider bikes rule-img_0230_2.jpg  

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

I love bike!

mtbr member
    I was going to do one of those but ended up with a 10" pedal bike. My 2 yr old is still on the training wheels put has the pedaling and steering down. Not sure if I want to screw up his groove or not.
    Your little ripper is a cute on though!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

parenting for gnarness
    awesome! my 2yr old just is not getting comfy on hers, unless her older sister rides it an taunts her. buy him some pads and you are golden - Bell makes a set of elbows and knees I got at walmart for $10, and the cheapest pair of women's small short-fingered gloves you can find.

mtbr member
    i wish i had a bike half as cool as that one!

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is that hill behind you the one on Brown between the 202 and Ellsworth? If so, we are almost neighbors (400 yards or so).

There is something about getting kids started early in whatever. I remember an old SI article explaining that is the reason why Michael Jordan was a poor baseball player...all the synapses and hand-eye skills necessary for baseball have to be developed pre-puberty. No matter how much you try afterward, you can get better, but you can never recreate what you could have developed while young. Anyway, that is my long-winded way of saying, keep it up with the little man.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    Is that hill behind you the one on Brown between the 202 and Ellsworth? If so, we are almost neighbors (400 yards or so).

Yes it is.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Shred...it's the new drug
    Gotta get him out on the pumptrack...here's mine at Rage

mtbr member
    Striders are awesome. We also bought or son one for christmas and let it sit around and he would pick i'm it up and walk around with it. He is starting to like it more and more.

LDB- that is a great video of your kid at rage. I think I remember seeing his video up in flag. He is gettin' pretty good. Almost time for pedals.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by theGreenEGg View Post
    Striders are awesome. We also bought or son one for christmas and let it sit around and he would pick i'm it up and walk around with it. He is starting to like it more and more.

LDB- that is a great video of your kid at rage. I think I remember seeing his video up in flag. He is gettin' pretty good. Almost time for pedals.
    He's got pedals and rips the neighbor hood to pieces...he's more comfortable and can throw bigger tricks on his push...the progression continues!

Meatbomb
    Do they make one of those for a 6'4" 210lb adult

mtbr member
    My little girl had one and the transition to a pedal bike is a breeze. There was no teaching her. She just got on and pedaled away

mtbr member
    My little man got one when he was 16 months also, he is 2 now. He loves taking it to the pump track at MMP, he takes his everywhere. In fact, he rode that little thing with us on a 1 mile ride the other day, I thought he would have given up and hop in the bike trailer, but his little legs just kept on going! Those are the best things ever! We put him on a pedal bike with no training wheels and he did great since he had the balance thing down from his Hotwalk!

Don't believe the Hype...
    What's the lowest stand over high? I think my 15 month old ninja twins are about ready.

If anyone has one they are looking to sell PM me...

Thx!
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

How much further ???
    I dont know off hand. I could measure it tonight when I get home from work. Initially I took off the seat/post since he wasnt comfortable enough to sit down and/or didnt understand the concept of sitting on the seat. Its pretty low regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I dont know off hand. I could measure it tonight when I get home from work. Initially I took off the seat/post since he wasnt comfortable enough to sit down and/or didnt understand the concept of sitting on the seat. Its pretty low regardless.
    Cool, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by luckybastard; 07-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.

www.krackedskulls.com

banned
    Jun 2011
    Douger, they grow so fast. What a great looking son. He looks so small. My son just turned 15 and your picture is breaking my heart.

I have got my son riding with me now and we have so much fun. What a great dad. Have fun...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    Douger, they grow so fast. What a great looking son. He looks so small. My son just turned 15 and your picture is breaking my heart.

I have got my son riding with me now and we have so much fun. What a great dad. Have fun...
    Wow. Thanks for the kind words. He is definitly growing up fast and I cant believe he is almost 2 now. He really likes to ride his bike and runs to the garage door when I ask him if he wants to ride his bike. He will even grab his shoes and give them to us as a way of telling us to hurry up.
    Its been amazing watching him grow and learn so fast which makes the fact that we have twins on the way (a boy and a girl) so awesome to think about. Its going to be absolutley nuts in our house and I will be totally wrecked due to lack of sleep but the thought of having 3 kids is blowing my mind. Im going to try and enjoy every moment this time around since they dont stay small for very long.

Wow. Thanks for the kind words. He is definitly growing up fast and I cant believe he is almost 2 now. He really likes to ride his bike and runs to the garage door when I ask him if he wants to ride his bike. He will even grab his shoes and give them to us as a way of telling us to hurry up.
    Its been amazing watching him grow and learn so fast which makes the fact that we have twins on the way (a boy and a girl) so awesome to think about. Its going to be absolutley nuts in our house and I will be totally wrecked due to lack of sleep but the thought of having 3 kids is blowing my mind. Im going to try and enjoy every moment this time around since they dont stay small for very long.
    Congrats on the Twins! You're right, it's gonna be pretty crazy. Our girls are 15 months old and it's quite a handfull. It's way cool though.

www.krackedskulls.com

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard View Post
    Cool, I'd appreciate it.
    The lowest stand over height with the seat in the lowest position is 10 3/4". If you remove the seat/post the standover height goes down to 9".

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    There is something about getting kids started early in whatever. I remember an old SI article explaining that is the reason why Michael Jordan was a poor baseball player...all the synapses and hand-eye skills necessary for baseball have to be developed pre-puberty. No matter how much you try afterward, you can get better, but you can never recreate what you could have developed while young.
    We never had these things when I was young. Just a bike with training wheels. This got me to thinking about learning to ride. If you start a kid out on these little push bikes it seems reasonable that by the time they are ready for a pedal bike they wouldn't even need training wheels on one. They would have already developed much of the balance and, more importantly, comfort with the bike. Seems like the perfect way to start them out.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    We never had these things when I was young. Just a bike with training wheels. This got me to thinking about learning to ride. If you start a kid out on these little push bikes it seems reasonable that by the time they are ready for a pedal bike they wouldn't even need training wheels on one. They would have already developed much of the balance and, more importantly, comfort with the bike. Seems like the perfect way to start them out.
    Hey Mike. If you look at the marketing info on the Strider or similar products thats exactly what they are selling. They say that by starting them on a push bike there is no need for a tricycle or a bike with training wheels (which they claim are inherently dangerous) and they can go straight to a pedal bike.

An interesting side note is my sister was out visiting a month or so ago and was blown away by how well my little guy could ride that Strider bike. In fact her 5 year old son was still on training wheels. When she went home they took the training wheels and pedals off their sons bike and lowered the seat effectively turning it into a large strider. After a couple hours of scooting around they put the pedals back on and boom. No more training wheels. Pretty cool to think my 20 month old helped my 5 year old nephew to ride a bike.

The lowest stand over height with the seat in the lowest position is 10 3/4". If you remove the seat/post the standover height goes down to 9".
    Right on, I think they're tall enough.

Thanks

www.krackedskulls.com