PSA - Forest Closures beginning 5/23

For those not following the Fire Restrictions thread, the time we've been dreading has arrived. Here is the text that the ATA sent out:

The Coconino National Forest announced Friday that portions of the forest will close to visitation due to extreme wildfire danger beginning Wednesday, May 23. Forest closures affect trails, campgrounds, roads, and all recreational activities within the closure areas. Closures include the Mogollon Rim Ranger District and portions of the Flagstaff Ranger District, including the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. This impacts portions of most of the Arizona Trail passages between Blue Ridge and Babbitt Ranch.

For maps and details of the specific closure areas, click here.
    More closures are anticipated on the Tonto and Kaibab National Forests, and possibly the Coronado. Until it rains and wildfire danger is reduced, the forest(s) will be off-limits to all visitation. Violating closures carries a mandatory appearance in federal court, punishable as a Class B misdemeanor with a fine of up to $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or up to six months in prison, or both.
    For further information about fire restrictions in the Coconino National Forest, please call the Fire Restriction Hotline at 928-226-4607.
    Before you travel this summer, check the current restrictions and observe all forest closures and fire restrictions. We all need to work together to protect our forests from catastrophic fires and ensure public safety during this summer, which has been described as the potentially most volatile wildfire season in recent history.

mtbr member

Elitest thrill junkie
    When you ban forests, only outlaws will have forests.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Jeff et al, from someone who doesn't know the Flagstaff-area trails very well, what high-country areas, if any, will remain open for riding? Thanks!
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Jeff et al, from someone who doesn't know the Flagstaff-area trails very well, what high-country areas, if any, will remain open for riding? Thanks!
    Ray knows Flag way better than me. He is working on rerouting the aspen aes to get around this.

However I notice this ban does not go below the Mogollon Rim. Highline from 260 trailhead was great weather wise this weekend. The trail is much improved for the first 12 miles or so, but still lots of Hab after.

Just another half mile...
    MAP of closure areas

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Ray knows Flag way better than me. He is working on rerouting the aspen aes to get around this.

However I notice this ban does not go below the Mogollon Rim. Highline from 260 trailhead was great weather wise this weekend. The trail is much improved for the first 12 miles or so, but still lots of Hab after.
    Anything in the Dry Lake Hills (Schultz Pass, jedi, bookbank, sunset, etc), Elden (Hobbit, wasabi, upper sunset, etc.) or Ft. Valley (moto, AZT, Newham, Secret, rocky, etc) areas will be closed. AZT from town boundary all the way north to FR418 will be closed. FR418/AZT intersection is where a lot of folks start the out and back on the AZT to check out the aspen (from vehicle, South to Aspen Corner, turn Back to vehicle at FR418).

So in short...all of the singletrack riding you are used to doing in Flagstaff outside the Ft. Tuthill area is closed. Gravel grinding outside those areas on FRs is about all we have left right now as long as it's not in the closure area.

Having said that..there is a fine gravel grind route from Town through Mars Hill, government prairie, A1 Mountain, Wing Mountain to Kendrick Mountain and back that I hit often when I want to listen to a few Phish shows back to back.

mtbr member
    Well f*uck, there goes two of the areas I was planning on riding on my vacay.

Plan B.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    AZT from town boundary all the way north to FR418 will be closed. FR418/AZT intersection is where a lot of folks start the out and back on the AZT to check out the aspen (from vehicle, South to Aspen Corner, turn Back to vehicle at FR418).
    In another thread, someone asked if FR418 was open since it marks the northern boundary of the closure. After talking with USFS folks during the trail work day this past weekend, I was told that FR418 will be closed. To ride the AZT section north of FR418, for example, will require accessing it from FR514 in Kendrick Park. Not a bad choice, actually. Head south for a few miles to FR418, or north to Utah.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So I guess FR 151 will be closed except for residents?

Yep

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I knew I should have bought that lot on Pine Mountain rd.

dirt visionary
    Alot of the tonto also. No map yet. By description is all of mt. Ord /4 peaks and most everything north of 260. I suspect globe is next however since the burned the piss out of the mountain it may not be seen as a major risk. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto...d=FSEPRD580925
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Meatbomb
    Still,some high school drop out will light a fire and burn the joint down. Sad

Just curious of the PHX folks on this forum - how does someone get news about the forest closures outside of this forum? Is it all over the news? If you don't watch local news or the paper (assuming it's covered there heavily), how will folks find out that camping/recreation plans for the areas discussed are closed? Are they putting up electronic signs just outside of PHX/Anthem similar to the ones you see entering FLG saying no fires?

I was talking to a friend with CCSD SAR and he said they're being asked to pull duty to patrol/enforce the closure...we remarked it's prolly going to be a bit of a cluster around town on Friday/Saturday when folks head up here and then realize things are closed.

mtbr member
    Just curious of the PHX folks on this forum - how does someone get news about the forest closures outside of this forum? Is it all over the news? If you don't watch local news or the paper (assuming it's covered there heavily), how will folks find out that camping/recreation plans for the areas discussed are closed? Are they putting up electronic signs just outside of PHX/Anthem similar to the ones you see entering FLG saying no fires?

I was talking to a friend with CCSD SAR and he said they're being asked to pull duty to patrol/enforce the closure...we remarked it's prolly going to be a bit of a cluster around town on Friday/Saturday when folks head up here and then realize things are closed.
    They usually have the big light-up signs indicating fire restrictions / closures on the way out of town. I follow all the Arizona NF pages on facepage so all the updates get posted there as well.

yeah, communication of this is a real issue. i got the news here first, then from a message from the Arizona Trail Association.

We were up at Horton Springs campground this weekend and the host there was not aware of the closure. I predict major fustercluck.

Sadly, we saw the start of he Potato fire on the way home.
    https://www.abc15.com/news/region-no...d-human-caused

mtbr member
    I also found out here but have been spreading the word to people I know who camp and explore the outdoors frequently.

Tonto closures are unclear however. Is bollow the Mogollon Rim still open? I was hoping to take my son on his first backpacking trip to Horton Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    I also found out here but have been spreading the word to people I know who camp and explore the outdoors frequently.

Tonto closures are unclear however. Is bollow the Mogollon Rim still open? I was hoping to take my son on his first backpacking trip to Horton Spring.
    Does not look like it.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto...d=FSEPRD580925

All Tonto National Forest Land north of Payson to the Forest boundary (Mogollon Rim) between the White Mountain Apache Reservation on the eastern boundary, and the Coconino National Forest on the western boundary.

Anyplace that is open will probably be VERY crowded.

mtbr member
    Does not look like it.

All Tonto National Forest Land north of Payson to the Forest boundary (Mogollon Rim) between the White Mountain Apache Reservation on the eastern boundary, and the Coconino National Forest on the western boundary.

Thanks.

I understand the need to do this but it just sucks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah I agree it will be a cluster. I just did a quick glance at all the major local news websites and no mention of closures at all.

mtbr member
    Saw some working on Prescott National forest website that that they are considering closures. But nothing closed yet. Fingers cross as that was by back up plan.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to play at Woods Canyon or Willow Springs lake the first week of July.

I am Walt
    I get news alerts from AZCentral.com and ABC15, and watch the news, in addition to Facebook. It's been prominently covered, though if one doesn't follow any of those sources, then I don't see how they would know, other than signs driving up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

parenting for gnarness
    Does not look like it.

I'm trying to make sense of the notices as they relate to the 260 stuff east of Payson. Gotta say the Forest Service sucks with their website. AZDailySun had a better website.

For those not aware, its a tough call. Hopefully local news and local papers will all cover it, but, you need to take some responsibility too to read before you go somewhere esp during fire season. Not like this is news to anyone. Signs on highways should help as well.

The .05 percent
    Today I went on my last cruise up in the Fort Valley Trails Arizona Trail Etc. Soft Forest Service speaking with campers the word is out. Crazy dry conditions can completely understand last thing we want is another Schultz fire.

mtbr member
    This link has the Tonto Nat. Forest closure maps. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd581181.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Today I went on my last cruise up in the Fort Valley Trails Arizona Trail Etc. Soft Forest Service speaking with campers the word is out. Crazy dry conditions can completely understand last thing we want is another Schultz fire.
    Got in a last ride on the AZT from FR300 to East Clear Creek. Two different USFS patrols stopped to talk and make sure I knew about the closure. Also found a flyer on my windshield. They are working hard to get the word out to folks already in the forest.

As I exited FR300 onto SR87, one side of the gate was already closed.

-db-

mtbr member

PSA - Forest Closures beginning 5/23

Is it me or has more counties and state land closed as well? Itís getting confusing now.
    Last edited by jdcatnau; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:22 AM. Reason: Canít spell

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Is it me or has more counties and state land closed as well? Itís getting confusing now.
    I have tons of friends, one of them went to the Flagstaff USFS office and got the skinny on closures. He said they told him if there is no rain in the next couple weeks the Coconino will be totally shut down. Get in your Pink Jeep and ATV rides because they will be shut down.

livin' the dream......
    I camped at the Pine Trail head Sunday night, and then did a run/hike up Donahue to the rim. I was surprised with the amount of dead/down fuel on Pine Valley loop, but the standing trees looked thinned out and healthy. Up Donahue, things are thick until you get up on the rim, then it is similar to what I saw below.

Driving home, I saw Payson Hotshots still working the fire along the 87 that burned Sunday night (Potato fire?). ADOT was working on the guardrail, so guessing that fire started from a car accident?

Cross your fingers for a wet monsoon season.
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

Long term outlook is for normal to above normal precip for summer, returning to normal precip for winter.

livin' the dream......
    Long term outlook is for normal to above normal precip for summer, returning to normal precip for winter.
    Thought I saw some mention of an El Nino year somewhere?
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

The .05 percent
    Lots o campers out on Rogers lake area. Bone dry.

Schultz pass road today was bizzaringly quiet.

mtbr member
    Schultz pass road today was bizzaringly quiet.
    Is that even a word?

Nope, but it sure is bizzare....

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The cinders are open brrraaaaaaaaappppp