mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Proposed Legislation!

I got this E-Mail from Gen at MBAA, thought I'd post it here for those who may not have received it. Seems like a good piece of proposed legislation affecting anyone who rides a bike on the street in Arizona. Take a second and reply with your info, we as cyclists may be able to make some changes for the better.

Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists (CAzB)
    P.O.Box 54488
    Phoenix,Az 85078-4488
    [602] 493-9222
    www.cazbike.org

Dear Arizona Cyclists,

On Tuesday morning representatives from the Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists, Cycling Teams & Clubs, and legal counsel will meet with State Representatives Robert Meza and Andy Biggs to present proposed legislation providing all Arizona cyclists improved protections. The essence of this legislation will provide law enforcement greater ability in enforcement of the 3 ft law and make it a felony for gross negligence resulting in serious injury or death of a cyclist by a motor vehicle.

We have not been successful in past attempts to improve protection because Andy Biggs has not allowed any legislation to get through his Transportation Committee which purportedly proposes statutes covered by existing laws. We will be presenting evidence that existing laws are insufficient to protect the safety of cyclists and that new provisions on behalf of all cyclists will increase safety for all of us. To help us succeed in this effort, we need THOUSANDS of you to respond to this email by forwarding it with your:

Name __________________
    Address ___________________________________
    District (if you know it) __________________________

"YES I SUPPORT PROPOSED LEGISLATION BY THE COALITION OF ARIZONA BICYCLISTS"
    [Go to Coalition web page for description of bill].

www.cazbike.org

Please route this note to every Bike Shop, Team, Club, Cyclist that you know in Arizona and FORWARD BY MONDAY NIGHT to Sterling Baer sabaer@us.ibm.com

Once we have sponsorship and a Bill Number assigned, look for information on a GIANT STATEWIDE CYCLIST RALLY to "Ride on the Capitol" and ensure the Bill passes.
    We had 600 show up for the Arizona "Ride of Honor" last December, Sterling Baer from the Red Mountain Brumbys & CAzB will be looking for thousands to support this critical ride!!!

Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists (CAzB)
    P.O.Box 54488
    Phoenix,Az 85078-4488
    [602] 493-9222
    www.cazbike.org
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Occidental Tourist
    also a good idea to contact your legislators directly and ask for their support.
    Find your legislative district:http://www.azredistricting.org/
    (bottom left corner)

Here is what I sent to my legislators.

Dear District XX Legislators:

I am writing you to ask for your support for legislation being introduced by Rep. Meza .
    Arizona bicyclists only want to be treated equally, and that is what the Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists (CAzB) is trying to do. CAzB has been working with legislators to get a bill introduced that will add the offense of killing or seriously injuring a bicycle rider to the existing "serious physical injury or death by a moving violation" statute (ARS 28-672).

CAzB drafted a bill that would add significantly increased penalties for killing or seriously injuring a bicycle rider when they are being passed, are riding legally (in accordance with 28-812), taking a lane as provided in ARS 28-815 (A) 4 or riding in a bike lane or on a path.

Please support making penalties for seriously injuring or killing bicycle riders the same as for motorists

Regards,
    Last edited by YuriB; 02-12-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?