Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Proper Introduction

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SupahG33K 
#1 ·
Greetings all!

I've been lurking for a while and felt it's time to hop into the fray. I got into mountain biking earlier this year for exercise and "therapy". Needless to say, I'm now fully addicted and constantly look forward to my next ride. As a not-fully-recovered adrenaline junky in my youth this sport/hobby has re-energized my free time. I've been mostly interested in AM and trail riding, but my lack of experience still hampers my confidence. I saw the Happy Jack bikepacking thread a few days ago and thought that looked like a blast too.

I'd love to get plugged in with more locals to ride with and learn from more experienced folks. I've heard rumors of mountain biking clinics or boot camps for skills development. Is there anything like that available around the Phoenix area? I'm employed full-time and have two small children (3, 9) so free time is at a premium; but there's always time to ride. My wife is recovering from surgery and is limited to roads and very smooth/light trails.

My most common riding area is San Tan Mountain park since the trail head is 3 miles from my house. Some guys from work have started riding Papago a couple times a month during the week so I've tagged along on one of those and intend to do many more.

Cheerz and hope to meet some of you on the trails!

See less See more
#6 ·
AZ Mountain Biking (Phoenix, AZ) - Meetup Amy leads group rides. I have been on a few, and I would not really classify them as beginner rides. She also regularly scedules training sessions on that group. Great group to ride with.

There is also Scottsdale Mountain Bikers (Scottsdale, AZ) - Meetup - I have not ridden with them, but looks similar to azmtnbiking group.

Then there is this site, just post up where you are at and when you want to ride, and you will likely get some takers...

Oh, and welcome to the sport, as you are finding out, it is extremely addicting! We are lucky to live in a state with such a great variety of trails! Some things to consider if you have not already (two things I leared recently):

1) Run your tires tubeless (standard tires/rims can be easily converted using STANS)
2) Get some lights and ride at night, or early morning durning the summer months

#5 ·
Hey. There is a group ride posted up on the Santan Regional Park website too if I'm not mistaken. I get a periodic email of events out there and remember that being one of them. Might be a good opportunity and I would bet that most are probably beginner to intermediate level riders. I ride out there fairly frequently starting at the Goldmine TH and go in via Dynamite trail, ride a loop or two, and come back out. Good times!

#7 ·
Thanks for info on the clubs and clinics everyone. Much obliged. I ride almost every night on the hiking trails in and around my neighborhood, unless I have my son in the trailer. Out at San Tan I generally run loops of Moonlight/San Tan and Goldmine/Little Leaf; usually early on Saturday mornings. I'm getting faster each time. I've been considering going tubeless with my next set of tires (soon).

#9 ·
I haven't been that far out, no. I'm still learning my way around out there; I come in from the Phillips Road side. I made the mistake of going too far on the San Tan trail the last time I went...hoping to get past the sand. I finally gave up and retreated to Stargazer and Moonlight. I plan on exploring more of the park as fall rolls in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.