Dirt Merchant

Proper AZ Wheelset Question

So I tend to stick to the McDowell's, riding either at the Park (Pemberton et al) or the Comp track and the mountains themselves (Bell, Wingate, Tom's, etc).

Over the last 4 months, I've wrecked one rear wheel, and am on the brink of needing a new one, putting me on 3 for the first half of the year. I'm not doing any crazy DH'ing or pulling endo's every other ride, so I'm a bit perplexed as to why I keep seeming to go through wheels. I've had similar issues with the front, but not to the extent of the rear.

I currently have a WTB Speed Disc (26in) back there, and I had a DT Swiss on before that. Am I doing something wrong here, or do I just need to consider a different wheel type for our lovely terrain?
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Dirt Merchant
    I'm running tubed (until the tires wear) then going tubeless. But as of now, I'm rolling 40psi.

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Whats your air pressure?
    I've also had an issue with spokes coming loose because my wheel builder wasen't using spoke prep.

Ahhh the pain....
    I ride the McDowells a lot and although there's no big drops and things to put massive loads on wheels, there are plenty of imbedded rocks and loose rocks that cause side loading on a wheel. I had a set of DT's on a Stumpjumper that were always getting knocked out of true and spoke breakage. I'm no heavyweight....160lbs out of the shower. Get a set of Stans arches or flows (depending on your weight) and you'll be a happy guy. Whether you get the factory built ones from Stans or get a builder to lace them up, way better.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My experience with DT rims is that they're easy to dent/ruin in our rocks. I've ridden various WTB rims with no issues. What you want is a Stan's Flow (or a Mavic rim) laced by one of our better wheelbuilders in the valley (Dave at Speed Dream, Peter at Rage or Fish at Cactus). Problem solved.

How much further ???
    It costs a little money up front but will probably save you over the long run but I suggest getting a truing stand and a spoke wrench, and learn to true them up yourself. The terrain is obviously harsh on wheels out here so checking your spokes is part of regular maintanance IMHO. It really isnt as hard as people think it is. Just my 2 cents.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I ride the McDowells a lot and although there's no big drops and things to put massive loads on wheels, there are plenty of imbedded rocks and loose rocks that cause side loading on a wheel. I had a set of DT's on a Stumpjumper that were always getting knocked out of true and spoke breakage. I'm no heavyweight....160lbs out of the shower. Get a set of Stans arches or flows (depending on your weight) and you'll be a happy guy. Whether you get the factory built ones from Stans or get a builder to lace them up, way better.
    I'm no lightweight, but not a heavyweight either (6'2" 202 out of the shower this morning). It seams as the Stans may be the way to go... Thanks for the info.

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Ahhh the pain....
    yep, a set of flows would suit you well...Depending on your budget, if you can get them laced by any of the reputable builders listed above, you'll be real happy.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/