Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Prob. the main reason I need saddle time -- computer programming :(

2K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Douger-1 
#1 ·
I don't know how I have not gone completely crazy programming for about 20 years now...

thank god for bicycles... great mental release..

#6 ·
I actually had a little of the opposite today. My work behind the keyboard, I was able to create a model and got me some great COD's on the property values on my hardest market area. I wanted to celebrate by beating up on my bike. Okay now I am officially a nerd.

#8 ·
i worked for PayPal for a year, and ran away. I hope to never take another conference call from Chennai again. There are worse ways to make a living for sure, but so much of programming and IT has become a **** job.

#14 ·
He's got his own business and set his life up so he can live in a place with great riding. I don't know the guy but I get that by what he's posted in the last 5 years or so. I think that's a contribution to the AZ quilt of many colors. I can totally relate to the funny bunny metal guy. As I also can relate to your long trying and well spoken story. We all do it in our own way.

#13 ·
It's corporate america with constant repeating cycles of old failed ideas re-branded with new buzz words and cookie cutter power-points and a new influx of the new Golden boys butt buddies that make me tack on an extra 15 miles to my nightly rides to exorcise the demons. Edit( wow, run-on sentence from hell but I'm sitting here enjoying too many post ride brews)

In the last 3 years I drastically downsized my house, life and job. I'm still in corporate america but now I work my 8, collect a check and thoroughly enjoy my riding nirvana.

#19 ·
Mountain bike time is the time where I don't think about C#, TypeScript, JavaScript, RavenDB, SQL, Visual Studio 2012/2013/2015, Resharper, Git, SVN, AngularJS, SOLID, Gherkin, SpecFlow, Jasmine, NUnit, MSTest, Bootstrap, jQuery, Nuget, ICD9, ICD10, HIPAA, Kanban, LESS, CSS, Grunt, Bower...

You get the idea.

#22 ·
I never said I hate it, but some days are harder than others (getting stuck on a problem) and it really helps to be able to clear your head hammering on some singletrack :) I enjoy programming, and am glad I am able to make a career out of it!!! I guess I am lucky to work for a company that treats its employee's VERY well, it looks like from some of the other posters, that is not always the case.

#25 ·
agreed, but over the last few yrs I've seen software dev take some turns for the worse. Could be the places I've worked but I'm hearing it from others and seeing it in interviews beyond my companies. a pattern of offshore integration and monolithic processes with unrealistic deadlines is now the norm. Used to be you had ebbs and flows, now its being on a hamster wheel that never quits and is nearly 24 hrs cause of working with India. Yeah, I'm burned out... Dont want to go back to work unless its for myself as a contractor, or people I know, or a mission I really care about.

#28 ·
I too spend a lot of time in front of a computer in the IT realm - SQL Server related primarily. I work for a pretty great company and I enjoy a relatively flexible and reasonable schedule compared to a lot of people I know in the field. That being said, there are always ups and downs.

My biggest gripe being a data guy is very little consideration of data or the storage of it. I've been doing this for 18 years now and today's development tools make it so easy to throw really bad database models together. This works out great for devs who have project managers breathing down their neck to deliver, not so much for me when I get tasked with figuring out why the application is slow and doesn't scale. Seems like data guys (at least in my organization) are on the tail end of things when they should be involved earlier. But of course that would slow down application development so... yeah it goes round and round.

I'll just leave these images here:

Yellow Text Formal wear Interaction Font

Finger Cheek Hairstyle Chin Forehead

#29 ·
I too spend a lot of time in front of a computer in the IT realm - SQL Server related primarily. I work for a pretty great company and I enjoy a relatively flexible and reasonable schedule compared to a lot of people I know in the field. That being said, there are always ups and downs.

My biggest gripe being a data guy is very little consideration of data or the storage of it. I've been doing this for 18 years now and today's development tools make it so easy to throw really bad database models together. This works out great for devs who have project managers breathing down their neck to deliver, not so much for me when I get tasked with figuring out why the application is slow and doesn't scale. Seems like data guys (at least in my organization) are on the tail end of things when they should be involved earlier. But of course that would slow down application development so... yeah it goes round and round.
They're not creating EAV data "structures" are they??

#33 ·
Been there... Seen that...

After 29 years in I.T. - programming and systems admin - I am SO thankful not to be in the field anymore. I made more $ in the 1990's than I would now. The H-1B's have taken over the market and salaries continue to flat line. I was told by a hiring mgr that the ONLY reason he posted jobs is that is was a legal requirement and he had NO intention of hiring any U.S. programmers for the two jobs he had open. He also told me that he would deny ANY word of this conversation if I bought it up to anyone outside of his company. Nice huh ?

On a more positive note I can't tell you how many times over that 29 year span that my mountain bike had literally been my sanity savior ! :thumbsup:

For you guys out there still programming hang in there. Hopefully one of these days the flood of cheap indian labor will be shut off and salaries will actually go up.

#34 ·
After 29 years in I.T. - programming and systems admin - I am SO thankful not to be in the field anymore. I made more $ in the 1990's than I would now. The H-1B's have taken over the market and salaries continue to flat line. I was told by a hiring mgr that the ONLY reason he posted jobs is that is was a legal requirement and he had NO intention of hiring any U.S. programmers for the two jobs he had open. He also told me that he would deny ANY word of this conversation if I bought it up to anyone outside of his company. Nice huh ?

On a more positive note I can't tell you how many times over that 29 year span that my mountain bike had literally been my sanity savior ! :thumbsup:

For you guys out there still programming hang in there. Hopefully one of these days the flood of cheap indian labor will be shut off and salaries will actually go up.
I used to work at John Deere so I'm all too familiar with the H-1B's. My team was brought in to clean up their mess.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

#36 ·
john deere,, the company that is now trying to claim that you don't actually buy their mowers, but are merely buying a license to use it because of the proprietary software running them.
Sounds like they are trying out the Microsoft business model in an effort to halt the collapse in earnings! (2014: 3.1 billion, 2015 expected: 1.9 billion)

I'd say their bubble has burst. When I worked there all anyone talked about was how ethanol was saving the company and the world. It was basically indoctrinated in to the new union blood on the shop floors. So much for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.