Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peletonnissen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    295

    Prescott vs. Sedona...

    So I'm headed out there from California the last week in December to ride in AZ, but not sure where to go as i have heard that both of these places have killer riding. I'm into XC and DH, but am going to bring an XC bike on this trip. If i can link some DH sort of trails in the mix that would be cool as well, and if there is any good shuttle stuff that someone could recommend that would be great as well. Any key trails i need to ride? I don't know much about the area and would love some sound advice.
    HANK & FRANK BICYCLES Lafayette
    Service Manager
    www.hankandfrankbicycles.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,760
    Give me a yell when your in prescott and I'll show ya a well mix of stuff.
    JRA

  3. #3
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,129
    The visitor's sticky at the top of the AZ page has a lot of info. Dec/Jan/Feb is a great time to be riding our southern desert trails that are too hot for most people other times of the year. Sedona and Prescott may be lovely in late Dec but you also might end up with snow on trails and very chilly weather. During your planned vacation week there will be lots of spontaneous rides in the Phx and Tucson area... see AZ Winter Fling!! If you want company and a guide, you are welcome to join these rides but you'll need to have internet access to gather the info. Bring a laptop!

  4. #4
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,197
    We'd be happy to take you out, too. I'm no DHer but all of the DH stuff here around Prescott is rideable on a rigid or hardtail. Not really true DH. If you want to do the true DH stuff, you'll have to go towards Sedona from here and helimech is your man to show you.

    I'd be happy to show you the rest of our trails, as would a 1/2 dozen other friendly riders from our area.

    Greg

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540

    Listen!

    Quote Originally Posted by peletonnissen
    So I'm headed out there from California the last week in December to ride in AZ, but not sure where to go as i have heard that both of these places have killer riding. I'm into XC and DH, but am going to bring an XC bike on this trip. If i can link some DH sort of trails in the mix that would be cool as well, and if there is any good shuttle stuff that someone could recommend that would be great as well. Any key trails i need to ride? I don't know much about the area and would love some sound advice.
    peleton:

    There are three things that Sedona has that Prescott doesn't:

    1. World Class Uphill Riding with some downhill;

    Taking Care of a little Hangover

    Sedona question

    2. World Class Scenery;

    3. All weather trail system due to rocky trail surface on many trails. We have over 100 trails to choose from.

    If you need a really nice place to stay for two people with a spa, workout room and potential guiding service, let me know. Cost is $86 a night normally $190.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,048
    Don't believe a word about the Sedona trails. They all suck. Go to Prescott.

    This trail isn't worth riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    something's missing..

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peletonnissen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    295
    which horrible looking trail in Prescott might that be??
    HANK & FRANK BICYCLES Lafayette
    Service Manager
    www.hankandfrankbicycles.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,740
    It's not, that trail is some 30 miles to the north and at least 2000 feet lower in elevation than anything in Prescott. And probably where you would want to be anyway the last week of December. Not that it snows that much there, but it will likely be at least 10 degrees warmer in Sedona that time of year.

  9. #9
    slower than you
    Reputation: rockychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    It's not, that trail is some 30 miles to the north and at least 2000 feet lower in elevation than anything in Prescott. And probably where you would want to be anyway the last week of December. Not that it snows that much there, but it will likely be at least 10 degrees warmer in Sedona that time of year.
    not to be too contentious, but i'm gonna bid that sedona will actually be closer to only1500 feet lower and no more than about 5 degrees warmer than prescott the last week in december (admitting, of course, that time-of-year will have a slightly greater effect on temperature than it will on elevation, typically, tho ymmv...).
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

  10. #10
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    not to be too contentious, but i'm gonna bid that sedona will actually be closer to only1500 feet lower and no more than about 5 degrees warmer than prescott the last week in december (admitting, of course, that time-of-year will have a slightly greater effect on temperature than it will on elevation, typically, tho ymmv...).
    The trail pictured is at about 5200', the Courthouse at Preskitt is just under 5400'. More important is the different nature of the trails and scenery. Don't pay attention to the world class stuff, that old guy needs his meds adjusted. I heard he took up hiking and joined the Sierra Club.
    something's missing..

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by peletonnissen
    which horrible looking trail in Prescott might that be??
    peleton:

    Those of us who live near Sedona or Prescott have an ongoing friendly WAR going on as to what area has better riding. I have attached a letter from someone that has a less biased opinion than I do, you might want to read it.

    Just curious how old the Lafayette bike shop is. I may have puchased my first ten speed bike there 45 years ago? I use to ride down Mt. Diablo Blvd on it every school day to attend Stanley Junior High.

    Doc
    Attached Files Attached Files

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    not to be too contentious, but i'm gonna bid that sedona will actually be closer to only1500 feet lower and no more than about 5 degrees warmer than prescott the last week in december (admitting, of course, that time-of-year will have a slightly greater effect on temperature than it will on elevation, typically, tho ymmv...).
    RockyC, how can you be teaching class if you're killing time at work on mtbr like the rest of us

    You're partially correct. The mean max for Prescott in December is 52; whereas Sedona is 57. However, the average low of 22 is 9 degrees lower than Sedona. Not only that, but most sedona riding is in the 4200' range +/- 200' and the good riding in Prescott is in the hills above town so I stand by my earlier assertion that the elevation difference is closer to 2000'. Take that you educator of our children.

    Hey, I ran into Eugene out on the trails. I'm gonna have to get one of his unicycles http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by rockman; 11-22-2008 at 07:36 AM.

  13. #13
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    We'd be happy to take you out, too. I'm no DHer but all of the DH stuff here around Prescott is rideable on a rigid or hardtail. Not really true DH. If you want to do the true DH stuff, you'll have to go towards Sedona from here and helimech is your man to show you.

    I'd be happy to show you the rest of our trails, as would a 1/2 dozen other friendly riders from our area.

    Greg
    Agree with what he says, except that if you want DH, go to Phoenix and ride South Mountain (flagstaff could always be ridable, and it has superb downhill-but is a gamble this time of year). This time of year, it's either there(phoenix) or Boulder City for real shuttle-runs on DH bikes. Sedona stuff has lots of climbs, becomes a bear on a real big bike, has limited amount of vertical, and so on. It's not that there's no fun riding, or no routes to take, but as an example, Damifino is NOT a DH trail, even though it has features, downhill sections, some technical things, etc. If you're ok with with this, then Sedona is fine. Take something you are comfortable on climbing or pushing up steep stuff, even though it may not be for an extended period of time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    306
    I think your best bet is to play it by ear and see what the weather has to offer. If Prescott gets a little snow, chances are Sedona might be dry. If both Sedona and Prescott are cold and wet, maybe head further south. Fact is, everything worth riding in this part of the state is within a 90 minute drive, so you could fold in all of the above.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Agree with what he says, except that if you want DH, go to Phoenix and ride South Mountain (flagstaff could always be ridable, and it has superb downhill-but is a gamble this time of year). This time of year, it's either there(phoenix) or Boulder City for real shuttle-runs on DH bikes. Sedona stuff has lots of climbs, becomes a bear on a real big bike, has limited amount of vertical, and so on. It's not that there's no fun riding, or no routes to take, but as an example, Damifino is NOT a DH trail, even though it has features, downhill sections, some technical things, etc. If you're ok with with this, then Sedona is fine. Take something you are comfortable on climbing or pushing up steep stuff, even though it may not be for an extended period of time.
    Jayem, Jayem, quit being so negative. Yes flag does have some great DH, but I really think you need to explore more of your own area. You might be surprised . Just DHilled a mountain today thats right up the street.
    Damifino is a dam fine trail that might get you a little hungover (thanks doc).
    JRA

  16. #16
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Those of us who live near Sedona or Prescott have an ongoing friendly WAR going on as to what area has better riding.

    What the hell are you talking about? We have an ongoing police action over you spamming, using poor grammar, and being annoying.

    I'm just going to remind everyone, most of the riding in Pskeet starts at 5.5 or so, and only goes up. Like above 7, up. If the riding on Spruce is not far better uphill riding (know as climbing to most) than anything in Sedona, then I am wrong.

    And that just does not happen.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    256
    Go to Sedona. Great views, the weather isn't that bad as I used to escape Flag in the winter to get in some hiking and biking down in Sedona. I personally like the Broken Arrow neighborhood/Submarine rock trail/Jeep Road/Chicken Point area to explore and ride.

  18. #18
    slower than you
    Reputation: rockychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    RockyC, how can you be teaching class if you're killing time at work on mtbr like the rest of us

    You're partially correct. The mean max for Prescott in December is 52; whereas Sedona is 57. However, the average low of 22 is 9 degrees lower than Sedona. Not only that, but most sedona riding is in the 4200' range +/- 200' and the good riding in Prescott is in the hill above so I stand by my earlier assertion that the elevation difference is closer to 2000'. Take that you educator of our children.

    Hey, I ran into Eugene out on the trails. I'm gonna have to get one of his unicycles http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/
    this is what happens when parents don't show for their parent-teacher conferences...
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az1jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    What the hell are you talking about? We have an ongoing police action over you spamming, using poor grammar, and being annoying.

    I'm just going to remind everyone, most of the riding in Pskeet starts at 5.5 or so, and only goes up. Like above 7, up. If the riding on Spruce is not far better uphill riding (know as climbing to most) than anything in Sedona, then I am wrong.

    And that just does not happen.

    Wise-man say: don’t make claims of never being wrong right after scolding someone for using poor grammar while using poor grammar yourself. That kind of wrecks the whole never being wrong thing.
    I agree, that ride up 307 is some serious climbing, especially ccw.

    Pele,
    The question is, do you prefer riding in the woods (Prescott), or would you prefer red dirt and slick-rock (Sedona). Since this is a one vs. the other thing, I vote for Prescott. But I live there so take it for what it’s worth. You won’t be disappointed with either.

  20. #20
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,197
    Better views? The views in Prescott are every bit as good as the views in Sedona. The difference is that you have to do some climbing in Prescott to get above the trees where the spectacular views are. Or you can put on yer girly pants and shuttle.

    In Sedona, you can see the moonscape from anywhere in the moonscape. And it's spectacular, but without having to work for it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Or you can put on yer girly pants and shuttle.
    DUDE, are ya smokin some of that prescott college stuff this morning. I do my fair share of climbing and decending, what some folks say "I earn my turns". You should realy come ride with me one day and wear your man pants . Why are people always picking sides. I do it all, just not on a spot brand 29er. Dam velo I thought you were above that.
    JRA

  22. #22
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,045


    The obvious answer here is to ride both. So close, so good, so different. 's why you're visiting, right?

  23. #23
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    DUDE, are ya smokin some of that prescott college stuff this morning. I do my fair share of climbing and decending, what some folks say "I earn my turns". You should realy come ride with me one day and wear your man pants . Why are people always picking sides. I do it all, just not on a spot brand 29er. Dam velo I thought you were above that.
    Are you serious? You really think I was calling you out? All the lycra-wearing jokes and "XC" labels and your going to turn around and be this sensitive? I'm surprised.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az1jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    604

    Easy . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    . Or you can put on yer girly pants and shuttle.
    .
    Sounds like a generalization and a shot at the ladies. What? "girly" is supposed to be weak? To shuttle is weak? To shuttle is "girly?" I hope that's not what you're saying. . because, it appears that's what you're saying. .

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    593
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the differences in rocks, plants that maim and scratch, what the water tastes like, and which place has the better brewery?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •