Thread: Prescott Trails

mtbr member

Prescott Trails

Anyone know if the Metate trailhead is open? Are the granite basin trails all open?

Thanks
    Mark

mtbr member
    Metate is still closed along with Mint Wash and all trails leading to the lake. There is a good bit open though that is rideable.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I dont know my way around the trails in Prescott that well. Any other spot you reccomend?

Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob View Post
    Metate is still closed along with Mint Wash and all trails leading to the lake. There is a good bit open though that is rideable.

mtbr member
    Best bet is to stop by one of the local bike shops and pick up a map for a buck. Current favs for me (White Spar area) 396 and the trails around Thumb Butte (316, 317, 318, 393, 326).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks, I dont know my way around the trails in Prescott that well. Any other spot you reccomend?
    Prescott Arizona Area Trail Maps
    Lynx Lake, trail 305 and continue up smith ravine 297, then come back. Fun out and back. This is probably the simplest ride that has a lot of bang for the buck, a great "starter" Prescott ride that is hard to mess up.

Trails in Thumb Butte are kind of fun to tool around on, not too much mileage and medium ups and downs, not quite as epic as the ride above, but still fun. Hard to get entirely lost, but it helps to be familiar with the area or have a map. Not all trails/roads are on most maps (the one I posted is the most comprehensive though).

Starting at White Spar campground you have a few options, head up 396 for a mellow ride similar to 305 or head in the opposite direction across the road up Wolverton Mountain trail and head into Granite Basin, making for a much more epic ride. This would be a lot of bang for the buck in terms of getting to see a lot of Prescott forest riding.

I can suggest more advanced Prescott rides that start to easily get up to 4000-5000' vert with bigger downhills/uphills, it helps to have some area familiarity first before attempting these, so you know where your "outs" are.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.