mtbr member

Prescott trail names and numbers--WT?

Am I the only one? Prescott has great riding and is getting better every year, but whyyyyy do almost all the trails here NOT have names? Numbers are booooring and hard to remember and explain a route, especially for visitors and newbies to town. Even most established locals have a hard time explaining trail routes and connections.
    Named trails....Smith Ravine, Wolverton, Spruce Mtn, Peavine, Circle trail, Mint Wash.....Hermosa Creek, Sunrise, Pemberton, Gateway, Hangover, Highline, Brookbank, Schultz Cr, etc. have way more character and are easy to explain/remember.
    I can't think of any other area in the county that has so many numbered trails. Is there any interest or solution to naming our trails going forward?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    Am I the only one? Prescott has great riding and is getting better every year, but whyyyyy do almost all the trails here NOT have names? Numbers are booooring and hard to remember and explain a route, especially for visitors and newbies to town. Even most established locals have a hard time explaining trail routes and connections.
    Named trails....Smith Ravine, Wolverton, Spruce Mtn, Peavine, Circle trail, Mint Wash.....Hermosa Creek, Sunrise, Pemberton, Gateway, Hangover, Highline, Brookbank, Schultz Cr, etc. have way more character and are easy to explain/remember.
    I can't think of any other area in the county that has so many numbered trails. Is there any interest or solution to naming our trails going forward?
    How many Widowmakers can one town have?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Best list that I know of. Hasn't been updated in awhile though.

Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance: Prescott National Forest Trail Names

mtbr member
    I couldn't stand it in CT when I lived there, the trails were colors. You had to look for the colored square on the trees. Very annoying. So riding Prescott was like a dream come true. Names are easier, I agree.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most of the trails that have numbers also have names. Call them by either. It's not complicated.
    Name:  att.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  55.9 KB
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-15-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Carnivore
    I love the numbers. I don't know or care about names.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido39 View Post
    Best list that I know of. Hasn't been updated in awhile though.

Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance: Prescott National Forest Trail Names
    Thanks Guido, I didn't know this list existed on the PMBA site. I'm trying to hit most Thur rides plus my other days. See you out there. Name is Rob btw, on white GF 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree that PNF, at least in the Prescott-city vicinity, should adopt trail names. I think the numbers are ridiculous. It is an outdated system from that began by separating the area of PNF (300 means Prescott area).

I think it would be amazing to see the trails signed with actual names. I mean, c'mon, it'd be easier for everyone -- both locals and (especially) non-locals.

I especially like (sarcasm) the Wolverton Mountain Trail, which is just "#9415". I mean, seriously?

Obviously, I believe this is an outdated system using numbers. I believe it would be a positive move for our mountain-biking community to have names instead of numbers.

The key here, though, is $$$ just like everything else. I recently looked up the budget, that I found online, for how much the Little Granite Mountain Trail (perfect example here -- I DEFINITELY DO NOT KNOW THE EFF'ING # FOR THIS TRAIL) re-route cost. You know how much this .75-ish trail cost to build? $45,000! I'm a Connecticut democrat at heart, and I don't want to fuel the crazy right-wingers out here, but c'mon, $45,000 for that small portion of trail! Wow!

Imagine how much changing all the signs would cost...

mtbr member
    I guess the mtb community could come up with the names and start using them on maps, etc.. Doesn't look like the FS has any plans for naming them. The brown plastic signs could have trail name stickers attached, or painted easy enough. Cheap and easy.

mtbr member
    Nothing is cheap and easy when talking about bureaucracy.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Old and Slow
    Almost all of them have name......or 2 or 3.
    Getting out there one day at a time.