mtbr member

Prescott Riding Advice (and field trip on Sunday)

I'm yearning to go ride in the trees on some real dirt and I was thinking of heading up to Prescott tomorrow (Sunday). The thing is, I've never been up there before and I'm looking for some advice on where to ride. I'm looking for a 15-20 mile ride with some flowy singletrack that isn't Gnar Gnar Gnar the whole way (some here and there would be fun but I'm not looking to ride National if you get my drift). Something along the lines of Hawes or Desert Classic (west of the water tower) would suit me just fine. I guess what I'm saying is advanced blue or easy black diamond.

Also if anyone wants to join me I have room for 1 in my car and everyone is welcome to come along. The pace will be fun and enjoyable with stops for people to catch up, I'm not looking to hammer the whole time (but I might hammer a little bit depending on how I feel).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Is that one more after me?

mtbr member
    Nope... my car's all full (including you). Looks like we are going to try and ride the Granite Basin Loops.

mtbr member
    If you have time 396 up from White Spar campground is an awesome ride. For extra mileage Ive gone up 396 and then come down Feldspar? which is a shorter down and then done another out and back on 396 cause I love the trail so much. Very cool SS ride!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    Nope... my car's all full (including you). Looks like we are going to try and ride the Granite Basin Loops.
    I've seen that in my Fat Tire book and it's not far from the Mrs' cabin. I didn't even know it until about two weeks ago so I've never been. Let us know how it is. Video/Photos would be nice

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Agreed, if the heat is high, White Spar from the campground up to Senator highway, past Goldwater Lakes is good.

If the temps are a bit lower, or you want to ride late in the afternoon again.... I'd do a Lynx Lake run at early evening to dusk as an out and back after an early dinner, with bike lights. Great, fast, flowy, fun, fun, fun ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    up 396 and down Feldmire is definitely a good option as BritMtnBiker suggested. Today, though, I did it in the opposite direction for the first time and had a blast. White Spar trailhead - 396 - 372 - 373 - up Feldmire - across Goldwater Lake Rd. - down 396. Going down 396 is a hoot.

Going up Feldmire has some challenging sections but was actually pretty fun, I thought. Navigating between Feldmire and 396 (or vice versa) might be difficult without a local, though. Also this loop is only 9 miles, but there are options to prolong it -- just use the map on the Sharlot Hall Museum website.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dlloyd
    Also this loop is only 9 miles, but there are options to prolong it -- just use the map on the Sharlot Hall Museum website.
    I looked through sharlot.org and found no map... maybe it was so conspicuous I couldn't see it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps...aps/index.html

Click on the green squares for details.

No Clue Crew
    Archives? Of course, why didn't I think of that?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link and suggestions. I will do some research tonight. Hopefully Dave and I can remember to stop and take some photos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here is a link to some pictures from the ride.

One shot from it.

My head hurts, back to sleep for me. (headache, not crash)