Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Prescott Locals... what's the scoop on your town?

Had a great day riding there the other day. Just wondering what the skinny is on your town? Housing, schools, economy etc.

we're really thinking of relocation, what with another baby on the way. So Cal is my home but just too crowded.

I know I know.... stay out.

any general scoop would be great tho.

thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz

any general scoop would be great tho.

thx!

http://www.city-data.com/
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    I moved from So Cal to Prescott about 4 months ago.

My own observations:

Housing market: depressed as it is everywhere. Good values available. Wide range of neighborhoods/house styles to choose from.

Economy: No major industries/employers.

Schools: Don't really know. There are 3 colleges in town.

Other: Demographics an eclectic mix of retirees, college students, new-age hippies, and a couple of cowboys. Has a small-town, off-the-beaten-path feel. Very friendly. Lots of nice restaurants. A great area for mountain biking/dirt biking and other outdoor stuff. Always something going on downtown (host of the only free major bluegrass festival in the country). Mild weather. Seems as if just about every male resident owns two or three motorcycles.

Hope this info is helpful.

mtbr member
    A great place for kids to grow up! I also have one on the way and a 6 year old, wouldn't want them to grow up anyplace else. Lots of mnt biking with all the realms of it from XC to Dhill (short drive).
    Small town feel, for now.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I moved to Prescott in '96. I moved away to Alaska from 2000 to 2003, but ultimately ended up here again after exploring every state in the west for a new home. Prescott is pretty awesome in my opinion.

There is no better weather. I won't blather on about that. We have seasons. None of them are extreme. Let's just say you can ride year round no problem.

Jobs? Not too easy to find. Our jobs start pretty low on the salary scale. I'm a banker. I can't tell you how many people I come across who earn $30-35,000. Seems like the magic number.

Housing? Great time to rent. Rentals are everywhere and CHEAP! Personally, I'd not buy anything here for a little while to come.

Schools? Dunno. Education in Arizona sucks anyway doesn't it? Sounds like it's getting better. If you care about your kid, you can find good schools. If you don't care about your kid, our educational system will happily accommodate that as well.

Other bonuses: Proximity. Within a day's drive you can be in Moab, Vegas, Durango, Silverton, Telluride, Baja, Santa Fe, etc. Sedona is an hour away and Flag is a short hop futher. Pick your weather and drive to it.

The town is pretty chill. A tad bit of an older resident vibe. Doesn't feel as young and hip as Flag, but not nearly as touristy as Sedona. Cost of living is very reasonable. It's one of those towns that is what you make of it, which I think is the charm.

Trails? Growing by about 50 feet every Thursday. What town can boast of that? Some people (Jayem) like to knock our trails, but they're a massive improvement over what they were 10 years ago and improving weekly.

More: www.ravensingletrack.com

It's a nice place to live without question. I'd make a point to settle on the west side of town, makes riding to ride much more pleasant. Real Estate is waaaay more reasonable than it was when we moved there back in 2006.

The public schools are not so good, which is generally the case throughout AZ. I know Heli sends his kid to private elementary school which is excellent.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Schools-wise, check out Skyview Charter School. It's a very progressive (and highly ranked) charter school based on multiple intelligences theory, and it also has a high emphasis on experiential education (i.e. learning by doing, rather than sitting at a desk being talked at). I believe it has kids from K-8.

Powered by ice cream.
    We moved here in 2001 and will probably never seriously consider leaving.

Ride to work most days, ride on the weekends, great places for the kids to explore without leaving town.

I have been very impressed with the professionalism/dedication of the public school teachers and administrators I have been in contact with.

The only thing Prescott lacks that my wife would like is a great lakes, or ocean type of beach. I like that there are no sharks in Prescott.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Moved up from the stinky city down the road (Phx) about 2 years ago. Never regret it, great place to raise kids. We have our 4 year old son at Taylor Hicks pre-school a couple times a week and he loves it. We will put him in a charter school next year. Plus there are a couple of Charter school teachers that are top-notch MTBers! (Zach and Sara).

As some of the locals have mentioned above the trails are awesome and plentiful and if you get tired of these it's a short hop to Sedona, Flag, BCT or all the desert riding around Phx.

Decent restaurants, great atmosphere downtown always something going on at the square.

Not sure what kind of employment your looking for, I'm self employed so I'm not privey to all the local job market info, but with large amount of retirees the hospital/health field is always brisk, as mentioned above there are the 3 colleges (you will have grow dreads and not bathe for 3 weeks like Velokid before you can get a job there ). I think Printpak out here in PV is the big employer on this side of town.

Rover is right, real estate is tough right now. There a great deals to be had if you cash or you have financing set up, here in Prescott Valley some friends just bought a house that my wife and I looked at when we first moved here, they paid about $125K less than the asking price then!

Anyway good luck with search, if you do decide to move here - just don't tell anyone else!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Since we have the feel good turned up to high.....

The riding community here is really friendly. If you see someone on the trail, you probably know them by first name. If you don't, you will soon enough. We have a couple snooty snoots, but in most cases, they're new to town and eventually we soften them up in short order and convert them to friendly locals. Prescott definately has the small town bike vibe. We have 4 bike shops, and a growing number of bike events on the calendar. All in all a great town for a bike nut.

Master Gardener
    Wonderful place to live! And I'd echo every sentiment above, except:

- Our 6 year old is in public school (Lincoln Elementary) and I've been extremely impressed. Very progressive teaching methods and the amount that he's learned this semester alone is incredible. We almost sent him to Skyview, which is an excellent school, but I'm happy we changed our minds.

In general, Prescott schools don't conform to the general educational standards of Arizona statewide, which is abysmal.

We have a 6-year old and a 5-month old and I consider them very, very lucky to grow up in this town and in these mountains and forests!

- I would LOVE to have more and more cyclists move to Prescott! The more the merrier. The more mountain bikers we can rope into banging away on new trails and improving the existing (incredible!) trail system, the better. And we need to get more of us commuting by bicycle to get the locals used to it and help them move into the 21st Century, and maybe even park their 8-cylinder vehicles.

In general I'd say (hypothetically)... remember that really hip, progressive, cultured town you used to live in that had the music scene and the forward-thinkers and the excellent restaurants and thoughtful city planners? Think of that town during the 5-10 years before it became so great... That's Prescott.

So come help us make it even better!

Greg

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I second all the great info given above.
    We moved here almost 7 years ago and have not missed Phx. at all. We have 8 yo twins at Skyview. There are other good school choices including public schools. The Principal at Mile High Middle School is a mountain biker.
    I encourage any active family folks to come here.

If you come here, remember why you came here. Slow pace, nice people, laid back attitude. We are trying to keep it that way.

Shu

PM with any other questions

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    . And we need to get more of us commuting by bicycle to get the locals used to it and help them move into the 21st Century, and maybe even park their 8-cylinder vehicles.

Greg
    What if I pull the spark plugs on a couple cylinders??

Master Gardener
    Haha! You dork! I didn't realize you had a big 8. Naughty.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I love it when people bag one AZ public schools... the fact of the matter is, the schools(most!) are wonderful.. I'm sure there are some tough areas.. but for normal folks who care about their kids, the public options are wonderful. Anyone can go to any Ivy league school from an AZ public school if you care about that stuff and apply yourself.

There is only one reason why the "ratings" are poor for the state....