Thread: Prescott fire

AZ
    banned

Prescott fire

Doce fire, 8 miles north and west of Prescott. Mandatory evacs. in Granite Basin., voluntary evacs. in Iron Springs area. Y'all stay safe up there.

shred my gnar
    itll be pretty amazing/lucky if granite mtn doesnt get at least partially get nuked. thats some socal style brush over theres. the fire is pretty much lined-up perfectly to make a big run it.

good luck to the folks off the west side of williamson valley rd... yikes.

Prescott fire-984727537.jpg

Name:  984727531.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  20.2 KB

mtbr member
    Dang, I hope they get a handle on it. It's supposed to be even windier tomorrow. The smoke is quite visible in Flagstaff.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is gonna be a heckuva looooong fire season in the West.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

shred my gnar
    2000+ acres. impressive, considering it was almost noon before it got moving.

edit -> not sure if i buy it but it's being reported at 5000+ acres by the feds... if so that is really, really big for the first burning period, which isnt over yet. damn that sucks.

type 1 mgmt team ordered as well.

Give it a crank
    That went up quick, it shows how dry the forests are. The smoke plume is even visible by weather satellites.

mtbr member
    That sucks. I've heard the wilderness area up top Granite Mtn has one of the highest concentrations of mtn lions in the US. Wonder which way they are all going to run?!?

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Dang, I hope they get a handle on it. It's supposed to be even windier tomorrow. The smoke is quite visible in Flagstaff.
    I can see the smoke from my home in N. Phoenix. Hope they get a hang of it soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Did Trail 347 get it???

mtbr member

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Doesn't look like the fire is anywhere near 347. Looks like part of 37 and maybe the top of 40 got hit. Plus the ATV route from 37 down to Dosie Pit. Plus the Wilderness trails - the fire rolled right over Blair Pass and up/over Granite Mountain

http://www.regionalinfo-alert.org/wp..._Map_11X17.pdf

Edited to add better map link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz View Post
    Doesn't look like the fire is anywhere near 347. Looks like part of 37 and maybe the top of 40 got hit. Plus the ATV route from 37 down to Dosie Pit. Plus the Wilderness trails - the fire rolled right over Blair Pass and up/over Granite Mountain

http://www.regionalinfo-alert.org/wp..._Map_11X17.pdf

Edited to add better map link

Is the regional info alert site only for Yavapai County or does it automatically upload whatever is the primary southwest fire at the time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is this in the Dells area of riding goodness?

mtbr member
    Much better sight of granite mtn this am, but winds have not picked up yet. Granite Basin is likely toast since it rolled up and around both sides. There were several visible flames all over the peaks las night. Area west and north rages on....amazing no homes are lost so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prescott fire-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Let's hope they get it contained soon. I dealt with this last year in CK and it's not fun. Then , after the fire it rained 12 inches in a day and caused major havoc. A year later and the mountain is coming back to life quite well.

mtbr member
    May 2013

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Bummer, one of my favorite places to Mt. Bike in the Prescott area...the view and scenery of granite basin is a wonderful sight...
    Here's a video from years past, sound track is a bit ironic...https://vimeo.com/14266891 Hope they get it under control! Ram On!

N/A
    Feb 2004
    What's up with all the "Granite Basin is toast" talk? I'm hopeful the trail damage is minimal. It's definitely still a volatile situation but so far the wind is blowing away from most of the trails. The map that dang- posted has the trails marked in light green. It looks like almost all of the popular MTB trails have not been hit (although granted, that map is from last night's images). A small part of the 37/40 junction looks to have been hit but the fire mostly ran through Little Granite beyond Clark Springs and into the Wilderness area trails.

Edited to add: looks like they just re-opened Iron Springs road. Amazing that no homes have been lost given that the wind is blowing straight into the neighborhoods.

mtbr member
    Winds are forecasted to be mostly out of the southwest for the next few days. I'm not that familiar with the area but perhaps the fire will run out of fuel in the northeast direction? At least until the Black Hills?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Winds are forecasted to be mostly out of the southwest for the next few days. I'm not that familiar with the area but perhaps the fire will run out of fuel in the northeast direction? At least until the Black Hills?
    From what I've heard it will either burn out or hit their containment lines soon. Due to the terrain the lines weren't super close to the fire and it's just now started to reach them. The 10% containment number is expected to rise pretty quickly.

Pay no mind to us...
    I have riden out in this area quite a bit and the only thing that looks to be effected is a 37 (Iron Springs up to Clark Springs 40) and a small piece at the top of 40 plus 37 over to Blair Pass (if you keep on 37 and don't go down Clark Springs trail 40).

Everything else in GB look fine and the only change to that would be if the winds came out of the west.

Assuming today is the last red flag day for awhile things should improve quickly, must less smoke this morning compared to Tue and yesterday.

Big hunk of the wilderness area will be burned up which is a bummer but not as big as a bummer as if the fire was on the east side of Granite Mtn where you have a bunch of homes.

mtbr member
    The USFS has been pretty active with prescribed fires and thinning around those GB trails in recent years. IF a fire made it's way over there the burn severity shouldn't be too bad and the area would recover quickly.
    Cheers,
    M