mtbr member

Prescott Circle Trail = Prescott loves MTBers

I got to give it to the Prescott, they really trying to cater to MTBers..

I went there today for a Whiskey Pre-ride and ended it doing something completely different, some yummy singletrack off the Goldwater Lake. I got one of those huge maps with all them trails on it. There are trails for miles everywhere...

and they are building more...

Trails - City of Prescott, Arizona

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post

I went there today for a Whiskey Pre-ride and ended it doing something completely different, some yummy singletrack off the Goldwater Lake. I got one of those huge maps with all them trails on it. There are trails for miles everywhere...

Even better, topo maps with trails:

Prescott Arizona Area Trail Maps
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    Cool stuff.

mtbr member
    I hear ya! Getting relocated up here in p'town and very impressed w/so much new MTB awesomeness recently completed and in the works! Sooo stoked!!!

Trails - City of Prescott, Arizona

mtbr member
    epic gnar up in P-town bros
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Give it a crank
    The PCT is going to be an awesome loop when complete. Cool maps, thanks for sharing the links.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Absolutely awesome mtb town. Only threat right now is an equestrian group that gives us headaches. Hopefully, that never escalates, but it is a huge horse town as well, so who knows? I just had an unfortunate interaction on Wolverton Trail the other day, even though I did everything right (going about trail runner speed, stopped 30 yards away once I spotted the horse, let the horse pass) and still got scolded.

Other than that, I totally agree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modiolus View Post
    Absolutely awesome mtb town. Only threat right now is an equestrian group that gives us headaches. Hopefully, that never escalates, but it is a huge horse town as well, so who knows? I just had an unfortunate interaction on Wolverton Trail the other day, even though I did everything right (going about trail runner speed, stopped 30 yards away once I spotted the horse, let the horse pass) and still got scolded.

got scolded for what?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    got scolded for what?
    She thought I was going too fast, which was completely bogus. The problem is I think they just get scared b/c the noise of the bike (chain, brakes, etc) makes them think we're going faster than we really are. Their perception's usually not reality, but unfortunately they use that perception as ammunition. It was also apparent her horse was pretty skittish.

mtbr member
    She thought I was going too fast, which was completely bogus. The problem is I think they just get scared b/c the noise of the bike (chain, brakes, etc) makes them think we're going faster than we really are. Their perception's usually not reality, but unfortunately they use that perception as ammunition. It was also apparent her horse was pretty skittish.
    Even when you stopped 30 YARDS away ?!

I totally get that about the noise and perception - I see hikers jump 4 feet in the air when I hit my brakes 20 yards away - I do quick brake to let them know I am coming and that I am slowing down.

Elitest thrill junkie

I only had a few like that, I could count them on one hand. I'd ask them why am I responsible for the lack of control they have over their animal? I'd ask them why they have a dangerous unpredictable animal on the trails? I'd ask them if I stopped before their horse?

I had one see me from a few hundred yards off and go kinda crazy on 352, but I kept going until I got within about no closer than 50 feet, and then dismounted. They were yelping and waving and all sorts of stuff because they thought I'd hit them or something. It's really horses that I worried about more than bears and cougers in AZ.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I only had a few like that, I could count them on one hand. I'd ask them why am I responsible for the lack of control they have over their animal? I'd ask them why they have a dangerous unpredictable animal on the trails? I'd ask them if I stopped before their horse?

I had one see me from a few hundred yards off and go kinda crazy on 352, but I kept going until I got within about no closer than 50 feet, and then dismounted. They were yelping and waving and all sorts of stuff because they thought I'd hit them or something. It's really horses that I worried about more than bears and cougers in AZ.
    I rarely have bad encounters as well; most are courteous. In fact, despite what some equestrians claim about crowded trails, I hardly ever come across anyone else when I'm out. They just get scared b/c of the noise a bike makes and b/c they have no idea what to do when they encounter one. In this particular instance, the rider said, "You're going faster than what my horse is used to." I just responded by saying, "Well, it's good you brought him out here then to get used to us bikers."

Elitest thrill junkie
    I rarely have bad encounters as well; most are courteous. In fact, despite what some equestrians claim about crowded trails, I hardly ever come across anyone else when I'm out. They just get scared b/c of the noise a bike makes and b/c they have no idea what to do when they encounter one. In this particular instance, the rider said, "You're going faster than what my horse is used to." I just responded by saying, "Well, it's good you brought him out here then to get used to us bikers."