mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Prescott 6er ...

Prescott 6er

Anybody racing this one? Feedback on the course from last year?

My other ride is your mom
    Do you even ride anymore....???? I hear you're into lycra now....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    Prescott 6er

Anybody racing this one? Feedback on the course from last year?
    Yes.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Do you even ride anymore....???? I hear you're into lycra now....
    Not really. I was just wondering because I wanted to go up and watch ... in my lycra.

Prime
    TG, how are you liking that SS Paradox?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I rode it last year. It was fun, better with lycra of course. I'd do it again this year, but I strained my MCL earlier in the year, and I'm just getting back on the bike regularly now. I do plan to do it again next year, once I'm back in shape. It's not the Whiskey, but there are some fun sections of the course. Being just one week after TOWM is the biggest con, but if you can't make it to TOWM, then this is a good fall race to do.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    TG, how are you liking that SS Paradox?
    I'm pretty stoked with it. I've never had a 29er or a SS so I don't have anything to compare it to though.

It's been whooping me into shape and teaching me a thing or two.

I just got a Pivot 5.7 carbon so it may be collecting dust for a little while.

How are you liking your Paradox?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I rode it last year. It was fun, better with lycra of course. I'd do it again this year, but I strained my MCL earlier in the year, and I'm just getting back on the bike regularly now. I do plan to do it again next year, once I'm back in shape. It's not the Whiskey, but there are some fun sections of the course. Being just one week after TOWM is the biggest con, but if you can't make it to TOWM, then this is a good fall race to do.
    I'm going to keep the lycra on the road bike, but thanks for the info. I'm not doing TOWM, but gonna sign up for this one. Hope your knee is feeling better!

Prime
    [QUOTE=TurtleGerl;9732054How are you liking your Paradox?[/QUOTE]

I like mine so well that it has become my go to bike. I like mine so well that I ordered Banshee's new FS 29er frame, the Prime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Course was fun. Seemed like it had more descending than climbing which is always a good thing in my book. Going back again this year to drink beer...I mean race.

A plethora of pinatas
    I just signed up for Solo SS and looking forward to it.

Anyone have SS gearing suggestions for this course? (29er)
    Marty

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Marty, I used a 32x19 and it flowed... this is a very flowy course and never gets old. I'll miss it this year, but I'll be there in spirit! See you Dec 1!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Stoked to have you guys riding it. Yes, bummer on 1 week out of TOWM. but no rules against doubling down. We'll look hard at dates in 2013, it's an uphill battle with the crazy number of events. Rode the course last wkend, it was in pretty good shape, but sand in some washes (monsoons) and some rutted out areas....typical for most AZ trails post monsoon season. @Marty....32x19 should be bueno. 32x17 if you are sadistic, like altitude and have some extra points to prove. 32 x 18 for those without a cape, usually ride a 17 in the low lands of AZ should be tolerable, albeit potentially heinous on the 1 climb...but maybe you are into that kinda thing. Eblast next week when registration closes with more details....spread the word - much appreciated!

A plethora of pinatas
    Thanks for the feedback on SS gearing.

32x19 it is!
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbAZ View Post
    Marty, I used a 32x19 and it flowed... this is a very flowy course and never gets old. I'll miss it this year, but I'll be there in spirit! See you Dec 1!
    DAVE! Tried calling you a few weeks ago-but it didn't go through-same number? Anyway- contact me if you need an announcer. I have retired my "pro" career and am back to AZ fulltime and have weekends off! Hope you are doing well. ~Back to your regularly scheduled post~

A plethora of pinatas
    Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend for this event! Today is the last day for online registration.

Hope to see you up there!

Prescott 6er
    Marty

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Reminder - online registration closes TONIGHT (October 10).
    We will have onsite registration:
    Friday 4p-8p
    Sat 6a-8:30a
    Just don't wait that long....makes it easier!
    Custom bibs for those that are signed up by this eve.

Ride safe, ride often -
    late

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I pre-rode the course about a week before the race and I have to say I found it to be pretty uninspiring, but for the race yesterday it was actually pretty good.

Everything was super organized and you guys did a nice job with the event! I had fun and will probably be back next year!

After looking at last years results the top 3 women's solo finishers did 5 laps, so my goal was to do 5 laps. I did 6 and got 5th! Dang! Exceeded my goal and was happy with super consistent lap times. I was surprised that the class was 10 riders deep. Pretty cool to see that many women out there racing!

pedaller
    Way to rip it up D!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

A plethora of pinatas
    It was a great event and that course was more challenging than I expected. My back went out on me during my 1st lap and I had to DNF. Getting old sucks!

The close battles going on in the Solo Gears and Solo SS divisions was fun to watch! Mr. Casual Observer put in an impressive ride on his SS. Hats off to all the winners and competitors and looking forward to next year.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Thanks

Thanks to all those who helped promote, raced, helped us set up/breakdown, told a friend etc etc.

Hope you had a good time if you raced it, and hope you let us know what we can do to improve and you'll come back and bring a friend in 2013.

Marty sorry about your back, that hill would have been brutal(er) with a bum back. Rest up, take care of it and get ready for 4x the fun at OP.

2013 notes -
    Possibly adding 45+ category for solo men / SS men
    Prime for fastest lap
    A few other ideas in the mix - breakfast option, slicker registration tool, re-think first lap.

see ya on the trail -
    mike

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Please don't make a 45+ SS class, Single speed should be one class only, there is normally little competition as it is. there is no fun in taking podim if there are only five or so in the class. I know there were about 14 in this race but would breaking it up still make for decent classes? I want to race against all the SS racers.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Way to rip it up D!
    Thanks Noel! Apparently my goal needs to be 7 laps for next year!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    @Taco Beer - I agree with you and will keep SS wide open, no additional splitting up of the SS category - you choose the gear ride and test your skills regardless of age, size of frame, material of frame, size of tire etc etc...it can get insane quick...I like keeping SS as it is...SS...simple! Thank you sir!

mtbr member
    Taco is right! As I am just getting back on a SS-and planning on racing next year after a 7 year hiatus, I want to race all the one-ringers! Thanks for keeping it real 99erz!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"