Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Post Turkey Day Ride - BCT

Last edited by cycljunkie; 11-29-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    Can you hear me now?

I am Walt

BCT = Busted Chainring Tale

Great pics, Jim...I've got some good ones that I'll post in a bit...

Beautiful morning out there...cool, damp, scattered clouds...trail conditions were excellent - very tacky, but it did start to get muddy as we neared the Little Pan Loop. In fact, after snacking there, and thinking of more mud on Little Pan, two more river crossings, the jeep road and the remaining beers in our packs, we decided to flip it around there at the juncture. So we enjoyed the beers and the camraderie before heading back.

Good thing too, because I snapped the chainring on my SS on the way back, with about 7 miles to go. I know, I know...check the bolts, but I did (a few rides ago), and they were all intact at the turnaround point. Nothing to do but put my head down and walk it out, coasting downhill where possible, and scootering along with my right foot clipped in while pushing with my left. Thanks, CoyoteKis, for the company for most of the walk as the conversation sure helped pass the time...

Again, the trail is in great shape, with very minimal impact from the recent rains, and almost no catclaw impinging on the trail. A night ride out there is in the very near future...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

Pics

I increased the resolution and file size, and it made a big difference, composition notwithstanding...
    1. Eyeing the first river crossing...Jim's thinking that there MUST be another way...
    2. Jim and Rodney scouting for another way
    3. Deanna returning after hoping for another crossing
    4. Deanna vamping mid-stream
    5. "Walt, put the camera down and HELP me!"
    6. Jim eyeing his knee warmers getting wet...
    7. Walt takes pics, Deanna helps Jim
    8. Rodney tries a different line
    9. Mud
    10. Fresh cobbles
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

More pics...

1. Starting the big climb
    2. Green
    3. Looking back on the first river bottom
    4. The Agua Fria
    5. Umm...Deanna leading Jim...?
    6. Looking back from towards the top of the climb
    7. Well-earned...
    8. Pack
    9. Views everywhere...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

Still more pics...

1. CoyoteKis
    2. Crash_FLMB
    3. Mud at the Little Pan juncture
    4. We came from up there...
    5. Deanna climbing out of a wash
    6. Sucks to be me...
    7. What guage do I need for this...?
    8. That's not a smile, it's a grimace...
    9. Big azz spider that just about walked over Deanna's shoe...
    10. That's what I think about the walk out...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Just.... SO. MUCH FUN., guys! The memories will last a lifetime. So will the mud in my cleats. And the water in my shoes. And the heebies from that spider, although, we won't talk about the NBA-worthy vertical leap Walt did when he saw the tarantula. Awesome pics, Jim! Only thing gonna top this day, is to do it at night!

wrecking crew
    Great pics! Walt...such a stud mangling your chainring to show off for the girl! Geez, 7 miles hikes are definitely not so fun. At least you weren't cramping, right?

Trail was in great shape a few weeks back with few catclaw except for the new section heading north. I'm sure the rain packed the trail down quite nicely. Hopefully, the trail doen't get a plethora of cattle or horse traffic while it is still muddy.

Night rides out there are definitely fun but a bit spooky when your separated from the pack. Big kitties like to play with moving objects. A tad bit alarming when you're JRA and you start to hear big things crashing in the bushes beside you, definitely makes you pedal a faster! But it was a blast when we did it in July. I would think it would be a bit too cold at night up there right now. You could just pile on the clothes and bring some emergency supplies just in case (space blankie, mag fire striker, etc...) The desert temps plummet at night in the fall/winter.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Hey Walt, do you paint your nails for every ride?

Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    At least you weren't cramping, right?

It is no mean feat to kill a Blackspire like that, 'course I would expect nothing less from Walt. Don't let Jim fool ya, no steel ring would have done any better.

I recommend 5 bolt cranks.

Memories, memories... Bit of a difference between T-day last year and this.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Great pics fellas! Are we all trying to be Yuri now? As always I look hot on the trail....I mean De...I mean....nevermind I'm a dork as always.

It did suck to get seperated from the group and missing the turn and pushing myself very hard on that first climb to catch up to the beer drinking. Who was the whimp that suggested only two for the entire ride? Next time it'll be 4 or so. Throw in Little Pan and that's a 6! Who needs water when we have beer!

At the river crossing, I was telling myself how happy I was to be on a SS (with Surly ring/cog...not that crap you were riding Walter). I did not want to deal with shifting issues on that long of a ride. First time I've had to cross water and have wet feet on the trail since living in AZ. It felt nice....especially on the second crossing. Hot feet + cool water = Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Can't wait to ride this trail again...best climb in the valley!!!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Hey Walt, do you paint your nails for every ride?
    Not that there's anything wrong with it...
    Ride more; post less...

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse

It is no mean feat to kill a Blackspire like that, 'course I would expect nothing less from Walt. Don't let Jim fool ya, no steel ring would have done any better.

I recommend 5 bolt cranks.

Memories, memories... Bit of a difference between T-day last year and this.

Hi Dave, you are so right! My chainring bolts kept coming loose even with Loctite
    I almost had this happen on a group ride but I caught it just in time made it back with two bolts...changed to five arm crank no more trouble.

good luck Walt...you chainring killer!!!
    looks like a good day for that ride last time we did that it was around 95
    and lots of bonking going on.
    Darwin was an Optimist

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    As always I look hot on the trail....I mean De...I mean....nevermind I'm a dork as always.

It did suck to get seperated from the group and missing the turn and pushing myself very hard on that first climb to catch up to the beer drinking.
    Actually, in that blur shot of you barreling by, my 15 year old daughter looked at the picture and was like, "He's got nice legs!" She's not supposed to notice things like that yet!

And yeah, it did suck you got separated! I heard you call my name from waaaaaaaay down there, and at first I looked up at the sky thinking God was talking to me. Oh, and thanks again for letting me borrow your gloves. Can't believe I forgot mine. Sorry they were all snot and sweat covered when I gave 'em back. Heh.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Not that there's anything wrong with it...
    I heard he waxes too...
    Can you hear me now?

Too many Sedonuts...
    Wow looks like fun. Walt, ping me next time, I gotta get out there more...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Happy trails
    hey walt,
    where was the atv ride back to the road for you? i had to THINK about walking out,you DID the walking out.alway dred the backcountry breakdown that can't be repaired trailside.
    Aaron

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by FATTRAXX
    hey walt,
    where was the atv ride back to the road for you? i had to THINK about walking out,you DID the walking out.alway dred the backcountry breakdown that can't be repaired trailside.
    LOL...yeah, that would have been nice...
    Ride more; post less...