My other ride is your mom

Portland beta requested

Any beta on folks visiting Portland....must go to places to drink beer, eat cheese, drink wine, ride a bike. Throwing it out to the class....yes, I'm aware there is a regional forum...but I'm looking for beta from someone who has visited vs. local knowledge....I can get that elsewhere.

mtbr member
    did you post in the Oregon forum?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    McMenamin's is a pretty cool place to down some suds. I've been to two of them in the Portland area, Cornelius Pass Roadhouse out in Hillsboro & I believe the Concordia Brewery in the old high school.

Disclaimer: These rides were done back in 1996-ish?? Verify online.
    I did some lift assisted riding over at Mt. Hood Meadows that was fun and we checked out this area between Portland and Tillamook called Brown's Camp. There seems to be a network of trails/jeep roads in the area.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

EDR

Re: Portland beta requested

I've been to Portland once or twice for work related stuff. So I didn't have a lot of time to actually find a great place to hang out. But I will say I would recommend just walking around downtown Portland. It's a unique kind of feel and I am sure there are all kinds of great coffee houses and drinking places to be found. Not much help I guess, but at least make your way on foot around downtown and see what you can find.

You can just ignore the purposely homeless 20 something year olds on heroin. They seem to like it that way.

mtbr member

Portland beta requested

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    McMenamin's is a pretty place to down some suds.
    +1 on McMenamin's
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

mtbr member
    While there's good road riding, there's not much nearby mountain biking. You've got to drive a bit. If you've got the time for that I recommend the Hood area (i., Surveyor's Ridge and lots of other nearby rides) and the Lewis River Trail in WA isn't too far. If you do that, then you might as well hit Mt. St. Helens and ride Plains of Abraham.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    The Lumberyard LUMBERYARD MTB - Lumberyard MTB you can do most of what you wanted at one place , also Velo Cult is another a great place to check out .
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

wretch

Portland beta requested

Stumptown coffee, voodoo, rogue, deschuttes, Andina (amazing Peruvian tapas), west end bikes, river city bikes.

I'm sure there's lots of smaller beer drinking shantys - was very impressed with the food and drink at both Rogue and Deschuttes

mtbr member
    Here are the rides and beer places I've checked out the last couple years passing through Portland. As others said there is not much for riding right close to town, but the drives are worth checking out especially up the Gorge to Hood River. I-5 is boring. And the people drive slow, just accept it. Have fun!

Nearby biking-

Syncline in Hood River (its just N of Hood River in WA), ~1hr drive. Ranges from XC to AM to light DH, good on most bikes and very scenic. Beware of poison oak! The Syncline | Mountain Biking in Washington

Post Canyon in Hood River, ~1hr drive. Has good variety of all types of riding - XC, DH, massive free ride. Post Canyon Trail Map ? updated | Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS)

Sandy Ridge - near Mt Hood, <1hr drive. XC to AM flow style trails. Sandy Ridge Trail System Details Oregon/Washington BLM

Black Rock - 90min SW of Portland. Known for DH/free ride but most features have ride arounds so it should be fun on any bike, worth checking out. Blackrock Mountain Bike Association

There are a few more ride areas within an hour or so drive. Some of them are not legal. Some of them are allowed by the land owner (logging companies) but as part of being allowed to ride there the owners ask that people not publish maps. So you may be able to get a local to show you around. Northwest Trail Alliance | or try the Oregon forum.

Universal Cycles retail shop is worth checking out.

Places to drink beer that I liked:

Rogue
    Hair of the Dog - good food and great beer and they usually have a couple aged seasonals on tap.
    Full Sail (Hood River). Have some excellent seasonals I've never seen in stores, great restaurant.
    Everybody's Brewing (near Syncline on WA side from Hood River). Good pub food after Syncline.
    Alameda Brewhouse
    Upright Brewing - French and Belgian farmhouse styles

All of these except Upright have a brewpub. All are pretty good to excellent.
    Find more here: Oregon Brewers Guild Breweries

Also: Belmont Station Welcome To Belmont Station! - Belmont Station. Bottle shop with massive selection and Biercafe next door.

My other ride is your mom
    Thanks for the beta folks....

mtbr member
    Andina is fantastic and it's in the Pearl district (near downtown). The Waffle Window over in Hawthorne has some kick ass waffle breakfasts... holy **** my mouth waters just thinking about it right now!! As others mentioned, Rouge & Deschutes are good. Lucky Lab Brewery is fun. Hell, any brew pub in PDX is great! Check out Voodoo in Old Town. Oh, the food carts ARE A MUST! There are several pods and some of the bigger ones are at 9th & Alder and also 5th & Stark. If you like books, check out Powell's Books (the biggest damn book store you will EVER see in a city). Check out Forest Park, the Rose Garden, the Japenese Garden too. You may want to try Zoobombing too if you're up for it. The crazy bikers meet once a week to drink and take the MAX to the Zoo station (deep underground in the west hills) and take the elevator up with their bikes. Then they basically bomb down the streets in the West Hills back to the MAX station in downtown somewhere and do it all over again. Oh and part of the fun is people do this on mini-bikes (which you can borrow from the huge bike stack sculpture around Burnside somewhere I forget). You can also go to Timberline and ski down the Palmer glacier. The snow is sun-beaten but at least you can say you went skiing in June!

Want me to keep going?

mtbr member
    I know you said no locals but if you like beer, go to Apex. Their tap list is like a finely curated art exhibit.

Beer Menu
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein