Give it a crank

PMP trails getting a touch-up?

I went down the northern half of 8A on Sat. and couldn't believe what I saw. The rubbley mess of chunky rocks had been moved off the trail and dumped off below the trail. What was a good challenge to ride on is now an easy ride through the park. It's the stretch just west of the A&W House between trails 8 and 8B.

As with all changes to a trail, some will welcome it, other won't. It wasn't completely finished but it seems work on it will continue. I've also noticed a similar improvement to the small trail that parallels the main trail going east to the Tatum trailhead in the last few weeks. I sure hope they don't dumb down too many trails and preserve at least some of the challenging trails that attract many of us mountain bikers.

Has anyone else noticed this or other recent trail changes?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Seems the way things are going out there. Fortunately unless they blast upper Cheesegrater or Hangover, I don't see those changing.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Wow. That blows. Last I was out at PMP was Thursday evening. There were no obvious signs of grooming detected where we rode, but we did not ride 8 or 8A.

Maybe the hikers were complaining or it was perceived people would be at risk of injury. Seems to me the reason one goes out there and gets off the beaten paths is for the challenge.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Seems the way things are going out there. Fortunately unless they blast upper Cheesegrater or Hangover, I don't see those changing.
    Which trail is Hangover?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Which trail is Hangover?

oops Hairball, I must have had Hangover trail on the mind.

mtbr member
    Loose rocks while pretty fun for us are really dangerous to hikers. They make twisted ankles a real possibility. I don't consider loose rocks a challenge- drops, off camber switchbacks and airtime are technical- loose rock is just part of the trail sometimes. Thats what happens on a multi use trail.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Pray for Rain!
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I went down the northern half of 8A on Sat. and couldn't believe what I saw. The rubbley mess of chunky rocks had been moved off the trail and dumped off below the trail. What was a good challenge to ride on is now an easy ride through the park. It's the stretch just west of the A&W House between trails 8 and 8B.

As with all changes to a trail, some will welcome it, other won't. It wasn't completely finished but it seems work on it will continue. I've also noticed a similar improvement to the small trail that parallels the main trail going east to the Tatum trailhead in the last few weeks. I sure hope they don't dumb down too many trails and preserve at least some of the challenging trails that attract many of us mountain bikers.

Is this the wide trail that runs E-W, or the descent that runs S to North? Not sure I know where you're talking about.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Is this the wide trail that runs E-W, or the descent that runs S to North? Not sure I know where you're talking about.
    It's the stretch on 8A directly west of the A&W House, green circle on Epicrider's map:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Considering they don't seem to touch those trails but once every 50 years, I'm sure it will be back to its old self in no time.

Is it just me or does "Phoenix Mountain Preserve" and "trail work" seem so odd in the same sentence.....

I still think that even with this sanitization, there are plenty of rubbley messes out there in the PMP...

No Clue Crew
    I'm a Bike Steward for the parks dept and get all the park's emails about trail improvements and stuff like that 'cause they are always looking for volunteers to help the rangers do whatever they are doing. If there's something being sanitized it's not by the Parks Dept.

Fortunately, there's nothing much they can do about Cheesegrater and Hairball

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Oh wow, that section of 8 is fast already. I can't imagine it with the baby heads gone. A lot of hikers that hike the 32nd st trail from Lincoln go down that section so maybe that's why.

mtbr member
    It's the stretch on 8A directly west of the A&W House, green circle on Epicrider's map:

Okay, that's the trail I was thinking of. I'll have to check it out.

mtbr member
    Yeah that isn't the section I was thinking of- but I am very familiar with it. Having rode it at different times over the last 11 years or so (and running it since 1986), I know that section will get gnarly loose, then it gets cleaned up, then returns to gnarly. It's trail evolution sped up by whoever is moving the rocks. It is a really popular section for trail runners and hikers- so I suspect they did it for safety.

The benefit- when it's cleaned up, it is like a different trail (two, two, two mints in one!) and if you ride it really fast you can get some good thrills. I prefer to think of it as variety!

"Uppercase with a space"

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Yeah that isn't the section I was thinking of- but I am very familiar with it. Having rode it at different times over the last 11 years or so (and running it since 1986), I know that section will get gnarly loose, then it gets cleaned up, then returns to gnarly. It's trail evolution sped up by whoever is moving the rocks. It is a really popular section for trail runners and hikers- so I suspect they did it for safety.

The benefit- when it's cleaned up, it is like a different trail (two, two, two mints in one!) and if you ride it really fast you can get some good thrills. I prefer to think of it as variety!
    Yeah, that is a fast setion of trail already, so I suppose it'll be even faster without the debris.

Maybe we'll have to do A&W House sometime soon and take that back down.

"No Clue Crew"
    Yeah, that is a fast setion of trail already, so I suppose it'll be even faster without the debris.

Maybe we'll have to do A&W House sometime soon and take that back down.
    I'll be out there on the SS today

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Wish I could join you. Can't lift bike into or out of truck without assistance. While that only slowed me down a wee bit last time, this time it precludes riding, I think, until I have at least one working arm! The rotator cuff thing is really starting to be a drag...I do not recall having this type of injury before, except maybe when I broke the clavical on that side.

"No Clue Crew"
    Wish I could join you. Can't lift bike into or out of truck without assistance. While that only slowed me down a wee bit last time, this time it precludes riding, I think, until I have at least one working arm! The rotator cuff thing is really starting to be a drag...I do not recall having this type of injury before, except maybe when I broke the clavical on that side.
    Ouch!!!! Duct tape??

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Ouch!!!! Duct tape??
    If it isn't ready for Thursday, yes, that will have to be the next step. Where's the Borg when you actually need their technology, anyway.

mtbr member
    Wanted to join you as well today- but my mother in law just fell on the walkway up to my front door and did some damage to her elbow- wife takes her to urgent care and me and the kid get to stay home- hall pass revoked!

DC- so you did some shoulder damage? That sucks!

"Uppercase with a space"

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Wanted to join you as well today- but my mother in law just fell on the walkway up to my front door and did some damage to her elbow- wife takes her to urgent care and me and the kid get to stay home- hall pass revoked!

Whoa. Hope she's okay.

Yeah, one of the muscles is badly bruised and limiting strength and mobility. If it is still this way in a few days I will get it looked at. Neck, lower back are sore and stiff, and the left kidney area is very tender.

Bought a new lid today, and glasses without a metal bridge.

Might start taking the FF on my backpack for SoMo and other higher risk runs until I get a little more competent at the rougher stuff. I bought a backpack on deep discount a while ago with that in mind, have just never implemented it.

mtbr member

That reminds me: Around this time last year, took my mom on a hike up that steep section that lead to Fat Man's Pass. Coming down, she slipped, went ass over teakettle, and broke her ankle. Needless to say, I've never taken her hiking in the preserve since .

No Clue Crew
    Might start taking the FF on my backpack for SoMo and other higher risk runs until I get a little more competent at the rougher stuff.
    I've contemplated it myself. But, I'm not too bright so I haven't yet...

"No Clue Crew"
    Might start taking the FF on my backpack for SoMo and other higher risk runs
    SMART!!!