Fragile - must be Italian

PMP "Kitchen Sink" Group Ride - Sat Mar 6

Over the past 2 months I've come up with various themes on a long, technical, and fun route in the PMP that I've named "Everything Including The Kitchen Sink". This route goes up and down just about everything in the Phoenix Mtn Preserve worth climbing or descending -- Shaw Butte, Hairball, Cheesegrater, Rocky Ridge, etc. Now I would like to offer this up as a group ride for anybody who wants to give it a shot.

The Ride: Everything Inclduing The Kitchen Sink route. Lots of climbing, lots of descending, and lots of gnar/exposure. There are some very technical sections, so this ride is not for the feint of heart.

When Is It: Saturday Mar 6. Gather around 8:30AM and start riding at 9AM. The full route took Bob (Chongoman) and I around 4.5hrs at a decent pace, so I figure a group ride will take somewhere between 5-6hrs.

Where Is It: Start and end at my house. There is plenty of parking in the driveway and the street (and it's much safer than the DD parking lots). Address is 2401 E Turquoise Dr, Phoenix 85028.

What Bike to Bring: Just about any bike will suffice. An XC bike will be great on the climbs but scary on the descents. A 6" AM rig will be fun on the descents but tiring on the climbs. There really isn't a bike that will work for the entire route...and that's part of what makes it fun, as it is a challenge on any bike. I will be rolling on my Kona Hei-Hei 29'er.

What Else to Bring: Lots of water/food. There are a few stops along the way to refill your Camelbak if need be. Body armor is optional (I won't have any on, but I also have a lot of scars to show for it!...but you can walk down anything beyond your comfort level). Also bring a swimsuit if you want to dip in the hot tub afterwards.

Who Should Come: anybody, but understand that this is a long, hard ride that ventures onto some advanced (black-diamond) trails. If somebody wants to offer to lead a shorter, less advanced route, that would be awesome (Su Ling??).

What's Happening Afterwards: well, that is up to you. My wife and daughter are going out of town that weekend, so I have the house to myself. If anybody is interested in some post-ride libations, that can certainly be arranged. I have a pool table, hot tub, swimming pool (for anybody brave enough of the cold), and some leftover beer that I cannot drink.

Anyway, if you are interested in coming out, post up or send me a PM.

PS - attached is a map of the general route. I will have something a little more detailed next week (with one minor change to include the Mine Trail).

Thx...Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMP "Kitchen Sink" Group Ride - Sat Mar 6-t100_kitchensink_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I should be there pending mom can hang with Mason. This is a fun ride.

Meatbomb
    I have a feint heart.

mtbr member
    Ding Ding!
    b

livin' the dream......
    I'd like to do this, can not commit yet as I need to check the family schedule this day. We'll see!

My other ride is your mom
    The inlaws are in town....I'll try my hardest to join in on the fun considering I've been barred from going skiing that weekend

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I've been barred from going skiing that weekend
    then best not ride Cheesegrater.

i'm gonna try, but will won't know til closer to game day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I definitely want in on this as I am constantly amazed to find new trails in PMP whenever I ride with someone else.

MTBikeAZ.com
    I'm a definitely maybe. I'm embarrassed to admit but I have not ridden PMP since 2002, when I lived up there... I've been looking for an excuse to make the trip from the SE valley.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

Just another half mile...
    Hey Doug, Since the family is away for the weekend, this is the time to ride the "Super Grande Everything Including The Kitchen Sink" loop. 30 miles and 5000' of climbing should hopefully kick yours and Chongo's butt a little. If I was in better shape and didn't have a pile of stuff to do around the house this weekend, I would join you.

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Over the past 2 months I've come up with various themes on a long, technical, and fun route in the PMP that I've named "Everything Including The Kitchen Sink". This route goes up and down just about everything in the Phoenix Mtn Preserve worth climbing or descending -- Shaw Butte, Hairball, Cheesegrater, Rocky Ridge, etc. Now I would like to offer this up as a group ride for anybody who wants to give it a shot.

The Ride: Everything Inclduing The Kitchen Sink route. Lots of climbing, lots of descending, and lots of gnar/exposure. There are some very technical sections, so this ride is not for the feint of heart.

When Is It: Saturday Mar 6. Gather around 8:30AM and start riding at 9AM. The full route took Bob (Chongoman) and I around 4.5hrs at a decent pace, so I figure a group ride will take somewhere between 5-6hrs.

Where Is It: Start and end at my house. There is plenty of parking in the driveway and the street (and it's much safer than the DD parking lots). Address is 2401 E Turquoise Dr, Phoenix 85028.

What Bike to Bring: Just about any bike will suffice. An XC bike will be great on the climbs but scary on the descents. A 6" AM rig will be fun on the descents but tiring on the climbs. There really isn't a bike that will work for the entire route...and that's part of what makes it fun, as it is a challenge on any bike. I will be rolling on my Kona Hei-Hei 29'er.

What Else to Bring: Lots of water/food. There are a few stops along the way to refill your Camelbak if need be. Body armor is optional (I won't have any on, but I also have a lot of scars to show for it!...but you can walk down anything beyond your comfort level). Also bring a swimsuit if you want to dip in the hot tub afterwards.

Who Should Come: anybody, but understand that this is a long, hard ride that ventures onto some advanced (black-diamond) trails. If somebody wants to offer to lead a shorter, less advanced route, that would be awesome (Su Ling??).

What's Happening Afterwards: well, that is up to you. My wife and daughter are going out of town that weekend, so I have the house to myself. If anybody is interested in some post-ride libations, that can certainly be arranged. I have a pool table, hot tub, swimming pool (for anybody brave enough of the cold), and some leftover beer that I cannot drink.

Anyway, if you are interested in coming out, post up or send me a PM.

PS - attached is a map of the general route. I will have something a little more detailed next week (with one minor change to include the Mine Trail).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Criminy!
    That is a work day for me. Spring time is almost here and that is my busy time. If you can do it on Sunday I'll join you.

Got a suspension fork
    I'm going to try and clear the calendar to be able to make this ride, but am not sure I'll hang the full ride - still in recovery mode.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    If you can do it on Sunday I'll join you.
    Same for me. Saturday is opening day for the kids Litle League.

Would Sunday Mar 7 work better for more people? A few of you have already said Sat Mar 6 is out...but if we switch the date to Sun Mar 7 to accommodate those who cannot ride on Saturday, does that knock anybody else out?

I have no family obligations the entire weekend (short of the usual house chores), so I am fine with either day.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Would Sunday Mar 7 work better for more people? A few of you have already said Sat Mar 6 is out...but if we switch the date to Sun Mar 7 to accommodate those who cannot ride on Saturday, does that knock anybody else out?

I have no family obligations the entire weekend (short of the usual house chores), so I am fine with either day.

Thx...Doug
    Works for me. I am typically hungover on Saturday mornings, so Sunday is better!

Got a suspension fork
    I realized I'm booked already all day Saturday, hopefully I can get a Hall Pass for Sunday ride.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

Hey Doug were you on Shaw Butte today climbing with another rider?
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak
    Hey Doug were you on Shaw Butte today climbing with another rider?
    No...that wasn't me. I was on my SS *near* Shaw Butte, but I didn't climb it. I am saving that for next week.

Thx...Doug

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

Went up 100 this morning, Up and down Shaw Butte, over to T25 cross T-Bird up to T308 round Lookout Mountain back down T25 to T100 then home, Started at 15th ave. and Glendale ended at 17th ave Bethany Home. Had a few equiptment failures today, a broken spoke, slipping Chris King Freewheel, and punctured the rear tire, (Just a regular tube).
    Took the Bike to slippery Pig for Repairs.

Two guys on Hei He's were riding up the Butte as I desended.
    STeel Freak.
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wow. That route is the jammy jam. Throw in the Disney Land loop instead of descending that steep section just south east of Cave Creak. If i can convince my girlfriend that i can play hookie from work I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by mtboz
    Wow. That route is the jammy jam. Throw in the Disney Land loop instead of descending that steep section just south east of Cave Creak. If i can convince my girlfriend that i can play hookie from work I'm in.
    I will post up a better map tomorrow. The actual route *does* include the Disney Land loop.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Hopfully I can do Sunday, is that definatly the new date?

Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Hopfully I can do Sunday, is that definatly the new date?
    Not sure yet...I was shooting for the day that most people can make it. I need more feedback from others. We need to pick a date by tomorrow so everybody can plan accordingly. The weather is supposed to be stupendous all of next weekend.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Gotcha.
    Don't change it on account of me though, I'm only 60/40 for Sunday even...

Got a suspension fork
    OK - rightly so my wife didn't give me a hall pass for this ride... She takes the brunt of the duties with our kids whenever I galavant off on my rides. With AZSF coming up I don't get a free day for this ride.

Crispy or somebody else, please record this GPX and post it for me/others - I'd like to give it a try later.

Have fun Doug and gang!

Lurky Lou
    Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Put me down for Sunday.

--Dave

Crap - I was just about to change the date to Sunday...then I checked the weather. Forecast for Sunday is showers. Saturday looks good though.

I know many of you prefer Sunday, and I am OK with moving the ride to that day as long as the weather holds out. I'll make a decision on Thursday, when the forecast gets a little more precise (the storm was originally forecast for Monday).

Thx...Doug

Pivotal figure
    I'm OK with doing this ride in the rain but I really need to get me some air time @ NRA (kinda looking at that for Sat now...). Have to see how the forecast shapes up.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Dammit mother nature!! I really wanted to be accommodating to as many of you as possible and move the ride to Sunday...but now it looks like Sunday is going to be a bust. Every news channel is predicting 50+% chance of rain, and given the track record of the past few months, that tells me 100%.

So....I am going to keep the original date for the ride of Saturday Mar 6. Hopefully you Sunday folks can juggle your schedule and make the Saturday date. At least we will have decent weather. I can't imagine doing this ride in the rain, especially given some of the gnarly sections that are hard enough when it is dry!

Same game plan as originally advertised -- meet at 8:30AM, start riding on or before 9AM.

Hope to see you all there. My cell # is 480.221.5061 if you need any help finding the house.

Oh...I also am posting up the correct route that we will follow. This includes Disneyland, 220 Black Diamond, and the Mine Trail (my previous one left these out). As I mentioned before, there are plenty of bail-out options if you get tired or have to cut the ride short for any other reason.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMP "Kitchen Sink" Group Ride - Sat Mar 6-t100_kitchen_sink_ride.jpg  

Pivotal figure
    Coolio. It's looking like the jumping dream is gonna get postponed a bit longer. Even if the rain holds off until Sun, the wind is already here. Gonna throw in for this ride, at least that'll make 2 people right?

mtbr member
    CRAP!!!!
    I'm out for saturday. Have fun guys, see you at AZSF

mtbr member
    have fun out there. I'll be working until 12 or so.This is a great route Doug. Glad you're going to show some others the goods.

Bob - if you get off work early or want to join us for the latter half of the ride, swing by Dreamy Draw parking lot and we'll see you on the east part of the loop.

Maui Grown
    Cool, was hoping this ride was going to be on Saturday. I plan on being there.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the insanity.
    b

Ahhh the pain....
    I should be there...looking forward to the kitchen sink...

mtbr member
    I'M IN this will hurt

mtbr member
    so...... is this ride still on

Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o
    so...... is this ride still on
    Yes it is. Did I post anything that would make you think otherwise?

Oh, and the weather tomorrow will be *perfect* (with a capital P).

Thx...Doug

Pivotal figure
    See ya there Steve-O

My other ride is your mom
    I can't make it....I have to hang with the In-laws all day today. We have a wonderful day planned...first we are going to go get coffee, then head on over to the Desert Botanical Gardens...and from there....you never know...we may just go to Home Depot and look at drapes or some $hit.

Got a suspension fork
    Ride report?

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Ride report?
    We started out with 9 riders today -- nice sized group:

Me
    Brian C (brianc)
    Steve O (SmokenSpokesSteve)
    Kenny B (kenbentit)
    Ron Zort (zort)
    My friend Eric Shunk and 4 of his riding buddies (sorry I don't remember everybody's names)

Some of us were on XC-oriented bikes (myself included)...others (the smart ones) were on AM bikes.

We rolled from my house around 9:10AM. We jumped on T100 and headed West towards 7th St. About halfway between Cave Creek and 7th St we rode Dale's "Tapatillo Loop" going clockwise. The downhill was loose but fun -- giving everybody a chance to taste more of what was to come.

After that we rolled over to Shaw Butte, the longest climb of the day. Hikers were everywhere, but they were all giving us words of encouragement. All of us made it to the top, some more worn out than others....but all with big smiles on our faces. Dropping down the back side of Shaw Butte was a blast. Kenny and Steve took a new secret trail from the very top that I never knew existed -- will have to try that next time. That trail merged into the road that the rest of us took from the top, so we all met up again. We then hit the gnarly stuff, which was in great shape. I was in the lead on the DH and damn near killed mysef on the last switchback...and then got ejected on the next drop. Kenny was behind me and I'm sure he had a good laugh. Thankfully that was the worst of it -- everybody else made it down safely...including Eric who had shattered his knee cap 10+ yrs ago on that same trail and had some demons to overcome.

Next up was Rocky Ridge, which was actually pretty grippy (I use that term loosely). Some people had never ridden that trail before and now understand where it got its name. No matter what, that trail is still a slog! But getting to ride around the Mine Drop makes up for the hard work.

By the time we made our way over to Disneyland, Eric and his buddies started to look exhausted. They told us to continue on and that they were going to head back to the car. So now we were left with 5 people.

At that point we took T100 all the way over to the DD area to start climbing/descending the trails over there. First up was VOAZ.

The climb up VOAZ was very scenic -- lots of poppies and other flowers in bloom. The first few switchbacks were covered in fauna - very cool. At the top of VOAZ we took a lunch break to get some much needed nourishment in our bodies. Going down Cheesegrater was a bit sketchy -- once again I was in the lead and damn near killed myself by getting hung up on a rock...giving Kenny and Steve another chuckle. The rains have really messed up my lines on that trail!

After Cheesegrater we went up 8/8A to A&W house. Once we got to the top, that is when Zort ran out of water. Brian was able to give up some of his water, which probably saved the day for Zort (nothing like having to forage for water when you are already dehydrated).

We rode back down 8/8A and then over to trail 1A via a bypass. We continued West on 1A to the next climb - Irregular Link. At this point Zort said he had to head home...and Steve was getting low on water and decided to head back as well. So now that left 3 of us -- Brian C, Kenny B, and me.

Climbing up Irregular Link is smooooooth as butta. It's not a terribly steep or loose trail so riding it is enjoyable, even if it is still "work". At the top the three of us took a much needed break to refuel our bodies and prepare our minds for the toughest DH of the day: Hairball. Going down Hairball on an XC bike (my Hei Hei) is always a challenge...and that is where I really want to be on my 6point. Kenny led the way down with his Firebird and nailed everything...even Yuri's Folly (which now has a messy transition at the bottom). I tried to keep up with Kenny but there was no way that was going to happen...so I kept a pace that didn't threaten my life. I managed to make most of the moves except for Yuri's Folly, one tricky rock move, and that weird short transition (that goes up and to the right -- it's slippery and not making it has nasty ramifications).

All 3 of us made it down Hairball safely and we were getting tired. We had 2 more hills to climb before we made it over to the 51 freeway on the 1A...and by that time we were all running low on water and didn't have the effort left in us to make the last section of the route -- 1A/"Mine Trail" and the 220 "Black Diamond" drop. Instead, we stuck on T100 and cut off those 2 sections to get back home...

...which meant we had 1 more hill to get over: "Birthday Hill". I have no idea how I managed to clean it, but I did...but my lungs were on fire after that and I was cooked.

We returned to base camp around 3:30, just over 6 hours after we started. None of us had a GPS so I don't know the mileage. We cut the ride short anyway, so I guess it really doesn't matter. (Steve - didn't you have a GPS with you??)

After that Jeff and SuLing came over and all of us chatted, drank, dipped in the hot tub, cooked up some steaks, and shot some pool. Brian makes a mean grilled asparagus -- delish!

In the end I hope everybody enjoyed the route. I have some ideas for other improvements, and am always looking for suggestions as well. Maybe we can make this a regular thing.

So to sum up the day: a great time was had riding some fun trails, meeting some cool new people, and basking in our fabulous March weather. And to top if off, and all of my beer was consumed. I'd say mission accomplished.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Pics or it didnt happen

Quote Originally Posted by mtboz
    Pics or it didnt happen
    I wish I had some pics.

Eric had a helmet cam on - I will ask him to put up the URL of the video he took.

The batteries on my camera crapped out after the first 2 shots, and nobody else had a camera on them.

Which gives us yet another excuse to do the ride again sometime soon!

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    great ride! kicked my butt. I really should have drank more water. I did not expect the sun to get to me, but it was a goo reminder that the season is changing.

Your route really captures the diversity of PMP. While I hate "classifications" when it comes to styles of MTBing....this ride had everything one would want in a great day with your bike and friends. it was definatly not for the faint of heart nor unfit.

yes make this a yearly thing! especially the post ride Green machine/hot tub/beer/cookout!

thanks
    Last edited by brianc; 03-07-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    b

mtbr member
    I wish I had some pics.

Eric had a helmet cam on - I will ask him to put up the URL of the video he took.

The batteries on my camera crapped out after the first 2 shots, and nobody else had a camera on them.

Which gives us yet another excuse to do the ride again sometime soon!

Thx...Doug
    I'm in!

Pivotal figure
    Good ride for sure, even if I'm feeling a bit wasted today. Just needed to pack a wee bit more food/electrolytes and things would be OK. Definitely do it again

mtbr member
    Had a blast, got to ride some trail that I've looked at but really never rode, now I know.

I agree with Brian C.on what a great perspective this ride gave to the PMP trail system

Looks like I missed you guys by a few min. at your house, I was laying on the ground with my legs up in the air (lill corner by pool and hot tub) and i hear voices, still a lill delusional from the ride and heat not really paying attention with a hat over my face I hear "hey look someones here", that's when I felt a lill weird, I was spotted...meet your MOM and family with the who are you and wheres my family 20 questions and all I could say was "mom and kids outta town, did a BIG ride, should be back in 20" all while laying on the ground not moving a muscle......kinda funny

So I felt a lill awkward and hit the road after a lill dunk in the pool...So next time I will stay and take part in the post ride good times.

I'll be there for the next one with a lill better gearing

Had a blast, got to ride some trail that I've looked at but really never rode, now I know.

I agree with Brian C.on what a great perspective this ride gave to the PMP trail system

Looks like I missed you guys by a few min. at your house, I was laying on the ground with my legs up in the air (lill corner by pool and hot tub) and i hear voices, still a lill delusional from the ride and heat not really paying attention with a hat over my face I hear "hey look someones here", that's when I felt a lill weird, I was spotted...meet your MOM and family with the who are you and wheres my family 20 questions and all I could say was "mom and kids outta town, did a BIG ride, should be back in 20" all while laying on the ground not moving a muscle......kinda funny

So I felt a lill awkward and hit the road after a lill dunk in the pool...So next time I will stay and take part in the post ride good times.

I'll be there for the next one with a lill better gearing
    Damn...that is tooooo funny. I was hoping you would still be there when we got back, 'cause I figured you would want some beer and food. My mom had some guests in from out of town and apparently tried to call the house and got no answer. I had no idea she would stop by to see where I was! She's weird that like that sometimes -- but she's a harmless, nice lady.

Oh well...glad you had a good time. It was great riding with you -- hope you enjoy riding all of those new trails you now know about.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Nice Doug, looks like I missed a good one. Had to work, maybe next time. Had a little taste of some of this on wednesday. NICE.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Damn...that is tooooo funny. I was hoping you would still be there when we got back, 'cause I figured you would want some beer and food. My mom had some guests in from out of town and apparently tried to call the house and got no answer. I had no idea she would stop by to see where I was! She's weird that like that sometimes -- but she's a harmless, nice lady.

Oh well...glad you had a good time. It was great riding with you -- hope you enjoy riding all of those new trails you now know about.

Thx...Doug

No worries, again good times. This is what my cycle comp. data shows 24.8 miles w/3:04:23 of wheel spin time and avrg. of 6.6 and max 28. Sorry no cool GPS er smart phone w/ ap's

No worries, again good times. This is what my cycle comp. data shows 24.8 miles w/3:04:23 of wheel spin time and avrg. of 6.6 and max 28. Sorry no cool GPS er smart phone w/ ap's
    Based on your stats and where you cut back to the start, I am guessing we rode appx 30-32 miles w/4:15 of spin time. Next time I need to get my GPS working and bring it on the ride.

Thx...Doug

Members who have read this thread: 0