Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

PMP Beerduro Super Official Thread-FULL INFO NOW INCLUDED!!!!!

Ok, here we go. sorry it took so long, the only date that will work for all those involved in timing & hosting will be Friday July 18th. Cory will update with time & meeting location but the main area we will be meeting near Mountain View park (AKA Duck Park for you old timers)
    (Taken from TacoBeer post in earlier thread)

Date: July 18th

Time: Coming

Parking and Socailize: Coming

Some Shiite to remember:We will be utilizing sections of Trail 100 and the spider trails (all legal) and riding at night. You can come ride along and just hang loose or you can opt to be timed on 4 or 5 sections. Timed sections will be run one rider at a time, so it is you racing the clock and your bravado. If the timed riders would like to decalre a "Lord of the Spinning Wheel" at the end of the night so be it. That said This is not a race. You must have one light minimum with a backup of some sort (flashlight okay). Everyone finishes, but this is not a ride geared toward beginners. If you are a newer rider and want to see if you have improved enough to ride with some quicker folk-PM me and we can discuss it-no worries! We will be meeting at a riders home AT LEAST HALF HOUR PRIOR TO TAKE OFF-BE READY. After our little ride together in the night, we will all go back to the start and hang out and have fun. Very important- this is riding bicycles, at night, on rocky and rough trails. You could get hurt or worse. No different than cruising on your own, so be aware and be careful.

Bring: CELL PHONE! Great coverage all brands. This is a requirement for this ride. Enough water for two hours in the desert. We realistically ride about 12 miles with lots of long breaks so don't be intimidated. Refreshing post (pre or during if you read Drunkcyclist.com) ride beverages of your choice. We call this BeerDuro because we have an optional timed bonus for consuming a fizzy beverage. Think of the title of the ride. If you don't imbibe bring a soda if you want a bonus.

About Trail 100: It is rocky. The sections have very few drops and none over one foot. This course rewards those with great turning skills at speed and those who know their traction limits. Pre-ride the area (course will not be released until ride) so you can figure out the proper tire setup (tubes/less, pressures). Course is Single Speed and Hard Tail friendly (Rigid riders don't need friends) and the faster you go, the trickier it gets. Be self sufficient- bring a tube or two, tools to fix and whatever else you think you need.

Climb Section: We decided to put in a climb section for this one. It is optional, but you can score some bonus points for trying. It works like this: There is a time to beat set by the ride leaders. If you attempt the climb and are slower than the time you still get 5 seconds. If you beat the time you get 10 seconds and if you decline to attempt it you get nothing. If you complain about climbs you will be left in the desert and banished to canal paths for the rest of your riding life.

Confirm you like to have fun and are cool: If you would like to do this awesome fun ride- PM me. In the PM include your real first name at a minimum, and your phone number and let us know if you are in for being timed or just want to hang out and ride along for good times like Weezy is. You will then be given the address of the rally point, and other awesome info.

Thanks to everyone for thier patience-we realize the date is not perfect for eveyone, but do not worry other clans in the valley are preparing thier meeting events too. There will be more, they are always fun.
    Last edited by cstem; 07-05-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: UPDATES!- See the bottom of the thread!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Who took my gears?
    The first rule of Beerduro is you don't talk about the Beerduro
    "You either want to or you don't."

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Awesome! You doing any mulligans?

Who took my gears?
    By the way, totally loving the uphill segment idea

mtbr member
    Ahhh Mulligans. Yeah but I need to think of some.

Give it a crank
    Yet another excuse to go ride the west side of T100, it's on my calendar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Ok, here we go. sorry it took so long, the only date that will work for all those involved in timing & hosting will be Friday July 18th. Cory will update with time & meeting location but the main area we will be meeting near Mountain View park (AKA Duck Park for you old timers)
    (Taken from TacoBeer post in earlier thread)

Date: July 18th

Time: Coming

Parking and Socailize: Coming

Some Shiite to remember:We will be utilizing sections of Trail 100 and the spider trails (all legal) and riding at night. You can come ride along and just hang loose or you can opt to be timed on 4 or 5 sections. Timed sections will be run one rider at a time, so it is you racing the clock and your bravado. If the timed riders would like to decalre a "Lord of the Spinning Wheel" at the end of the night so be it. That said This is not a race. You must have one light minimum with a backup of some sort (flashlight okay). Everyone finishes, but this is not a ride geared toward beginners. If you are a newer rider and want to see if you have improved enough to ride with some quicker folk-PM me and we can discuss it-no worries! We will be meeting at a riders home AT LEAST HALF HOUR PRIOR TO TAKE OFF-BE READY. After our little ride together in the night, we will all go back to the start and hang out and have fun. Very important- this is riding bicycles, at night, on rocky and rough trails. You could get hurt or worse. No different than cruising on your own, so be aware and be careful.

Bring: CELL PHONE! Great coverage all brands. This is a requirement for this ride. Enough water for two hours in the desert. We realistically ride about 12 miles with lots of long breaks so don't be intimidated. Refreshing post (pre or during if you read Drunkcyclist.com) ride beverages of your choice. We call this BeerDuro because we have an optional timed bonus for consuming a fizzy beverage. Think of the title of the ride. If you don't imbibe bring a soda if you want a bonus.

About Trail 100: It is rocky. The sections have very few drops and none over one foot. This course rewards those with great turning skills at speed and those who know their traction limits. Pre-ride the area (course will not be released until ride) so you can figure out the proper tire setup (tubes/less, pressures). Course is Single Speed and Hard Tail friendly (Rigid riders don't need friends) and the faster you go, the trickier it gets. Be self sufficient- bring a tube or two, tools to fix and whatever else you think you need.

Climb Section: We decided to put in a climb section for this one. It is optional, but you can score some bonus points for trying. It works like this: There is a time to beat set by the ride leaders. If you attempt the climb and are slower than the time you still get 5 seconds. If you beat the time you get 10 seconds and if you decline to attempt it you get nothing. If you complain about climbs you will be left in the desert and banished to canal paths for the rest of your riding life.

Confirm you like to have fun and are cool: If you would like to do this awesome fun ride- PM me. In the PM include your real first name at a minimum, and your phone number and let us know if you are in for being timed or just want to hang out and ride along for good times like Weezy is. You will then be given the address of the rally point, and other awesome info.

Thanks to everyone for thier patience-we realize the date is not perfect for eveyone, but do not worry other clans in the valley are preparing thier meeting events too. There will be more, they are always fun.
    As far as I know, I'm in. In fact, I think I'm a bachelor that weekend.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Count me in. Probably DFL, but in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm In.

PM Sent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm In, PM Sent.

ride.
    I will make one of these, someday. This is the same weekend as Singlespeed Worlds...

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Check it out-new names and info!!

Got 23 on the roster so far:

SugarHigh
    Casual Observer
    VansRyan
    Snwbrder
    KOHill
    HowardRoark
    GR1822
    Mtn-Rider
    CridgeMTBT
    CoonDog77
    Tysonnemb (not sure how I edited you off the list-sorry!)
    Fourtrax
    Eabos
    AZBob
    hazmatt480 and friend
    Casual Observer
    twowheelsarefun
    Marcmac
    Whoopwhoop
    Dagnabbit
    Kdimon
    RM
    DJYoung4

I know we we get more- surely there is someone on here that I made angry and would like to punch me in the face or something-sign up!

1-Going to use white duct tape on helmet with your Screen Name and Real Name so we can ID each other. Tape to be provided.
    2-This is BYOB, except for the fun-chug. If you feel you need your special bev for the chug, it must pass tech!
    3- Number plates will be provided for easier ID at night and to help keep a headcount. Please return it when the night is over for future rides.
    4-If you decide to pack it in early-remember to let one of us know.

-More updates to come!
    Last edited by cstem; 07-17-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Adding stoke...again

mtbr member

PMP Beerduro Super Official Thread-THis is the one you want....

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Got 9 on the roster so far:

SugarHigh
    Casual Observer
    VansRyan
    Snwbrder
    KOHill
    HowardRoark
    GR1822
    Mtn-Rider

I know we we get more- surely there is someone on here that I made angry and would like to punch me in the face or something-sign up!

1-Going to use white duct tape on helmet with your Screen Name and Real Name so we can ID each other. Tape to be provided.
    2-This is BYOB, except for the fun-chug. If you feel you need your special bev for the chug, it must pass tech!
    3- Number plates will be provided for easier ID at night and to help keep a headcount. Please return it when the night is over for future rides.
    4-If you decide to pack it in early-remember to let one of us know.

-More updates to come!
    In. (It's Josh - from Estrella)

Always in the wrong gear
    In!!!
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Roca Roja Breezy 29+ SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

mtbr member

I'm in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Addicted to 2 wheels

lets ride
    Count me in, Matt D. from Chandler

My other bike is a GasGas
    Sep 2011
    I'll try to make my first Beerduro since you're heading to my side of town.

Any problem if I just wait at Duck Park ?

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post

I didn't know you were on mtbr, hope to see you at there!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post

Yes, we need to assign number plates for timing. Also, we won't be exactly going through the park but very near it.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Sep 2011
    Yes, I came on here way back when to research MagicShine lights for the Yammie WR450, which I now use on my Chump Dumper FSR 9er. Mostly lurk at gadget posts now.

I guess I'll use this as an excuse to get my riding frequency up to two per week. My sweet-spot.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out the stops and use every advantage on this ride. I spray my warped rotors with WD40 to lessen the drag and I will be bringing the easy-to-chug Tecate' Light. It's "The Iced-Tea of Mexican Beers."

I'll be waiting for y'all at the top of the hill. Burping, and other bodily functions.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Small world. I would have never guessed RickD and Taco Beer knew each other. Taco Beer's stock just dropped. Will be cool to see you out there Rick.

Around 5:15 today, I will be riding from Dreamy Draw over to the West part of PMP. Might ride some of the course. Will ride for around 2.5 hours with minimal stops. Anyone want to ride?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I won't be able to make this one, however, I have all the number plates. Any southeast valley or S.Mtn locals available to meet me for an exchange? Both TacoBeer & cstem are west siders & our schedules don't mesh well.

I'm near 48th & Baseline M-F 6a-3p more or less. I have the plates in my car. Or if it's easier to meet in Queen Creek around 9p weekdays let me know (Power / Germann area). PM me so we can set something up.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

Sep 2011
    My group of 50-somethings will be staging out of Dreamy Draw park tomorrow (Thursday) night. RTR 7pm. This is what we call our "Ten Tunnels" urban dual sort MTB ride. Dreamy Draw, cross under SR51, cross tunnels to 7th Ave, up through Duck Park, between Shaw Butte and North Mountain, and back over.

We might have a sorta newbie with us so I am un sure of our pace. We wait for everyone, tho.

mtbr member
    BEERDURO- Phoenix Mtn. Park
    July 18th 2014

Start Time and Location: We will be spinning our pegs at 7pm sharp! If you are late call Cory, Guy or Dennis (keep reading). Show up with plenty of time (like 6:15 ish) to get your gear on and maybe shoot the breeze and meet some fellow riders. Address is 10826 N. 7th Ave Phoenix.

About this thang: Beerduro was started last year by a couple riders in the east valley. It is a ride with friends (new and old), where you can choose to be timed on for your own benefit. We ride to a segment as a group. When we get there, riders who would like to challenge themselves and see a resulting time will take off in 30 second intervals. We all meet at the bottom of the segment and then take off to the next one as a group..
    - You DO NOT have to request timing to come ride. Plenty of folks opt out of timing and just have fun ←--See that word? It is a keyword. Memorize it before attending. There will be a test!.
    -You must have at least on helmet or bike mounted light that will last two hours. A second light or flashlight is highly recommended in case the first goes kaput.
    -There are 5 segments total. One of those is a short hillclimb that is timed, but riders will get scored on how long it takes them and receive a mulligan in the form of time added to or subtracted from their times.
    -There is also a Chug-a-Lug midway through. Folks who opt to do it will be timed and can compare those times with others. For those who chose to play- an adult bev will be provided. Some folks prefer non-adult bevs. If that is you, bring your choice but make sure it is carbonated-all bevs will meet tech inspection or will not be allowed!
    -While riding your segment (timed or not) please render aid to riders in need. Common practice is for the riding rider to ask “Yo homie! You all good?” with the rider not riding to answer either “No, I have fallen and can not get up.” or “All good bro!” If you just got a mechanical-wait for the volunteer sweep rider and they will help you.
    -If you turtle on a segment, and the guy behind you catches you, let them by ASAP. That means ‘As Soon As Possible’ for those who just landed on planet Earth. Oh and welcome!
    -No one gets dropped. If you need to pull out of the ride, we won’t think you suck (unless you are crying) but you need to let a ride volunteer know so we don’t send out the St. Bernard looking for you. By the way, the dog carries a warm cask of Javelina musk oil, not Brandy- so be sure to tell us if you need to drop!
    -All are invited except: under 18 without guardian and Llamas. Skill wise-you choose your speed, walking a section is cooler than being carried off it and no one gets dropped. Bear in mind the name of the ride if you are easily offended. To be honest I have been slapped in the mouth by little old ladies more than once for things I say. My wife thinks I like being slapped by little old ladies but she is wrong. Or am I just “wrong”? Anyway hopefully everyone attending sees my point here and can understand what I am saying.
    -Costumes, tasteless bike bling, and general nuttiness is highly encouraged and the best will be rewarded!

SEGMENT DEETS AND ADVICE:

First the advice. Bring at least one spare tube. This course has lots of baby head sized rocks and some of them have razor tongues. There is also cactus lining some parts and some sections may sneak up on you-ride aware and within yourself. Bring enough H2O to last at least two hours. Bring anything else you want, we don’t judge especially if you share. Since most of the riders are from MTBR- we will be giving all a name tag and number plate. Bring friends if you can! The course map will not be sent out because there isn’t one. If you would like to try and figure out the segments, I will give you the link to my Strava and you can try to Sherlock it out. Pre-Riding of the AREA is encouraged so you can guage tire pressures and what you may encounter. Explore-the area is cool. BeerDuro Area or Mountain Bike Ride Profile | T100 Beer-Duro Segment check 20t near Glendale | Times and Records | Strava + Don’t worry-We who set the segments are not riding for time. On to the segment details.

Segment 1- .8 miles long about 3.5 minutes. From the Rally point, we will ride to a place called 7th Street Overlook. A bit of a grind to get up there so save some gas. Start down a rocky, loose singletrack that turns to kind of double track, but one side sucks! Watch for the little 10 inch drop-it looks huge at night for some reason! Hit the bottom (look for turn markers to be determined) and go right up a slight but rough grade. Down some smooth hiker trail and finish. First Mulligan is at the end! There is a small jump at the finish. It can launch you and bike 8 inches out or 8 feet-its up to you. Furthest jump gets 10 second bonus, best style gets 5!

Segment 2- .5 miles about 3 minutes. Regroup and ride a mile with a slight easy climb to the other side of 7th St. Just north of the Pointe Tapatio where it meets the Mtn Preserve. Start in a little open area, down some real stairs and its on! Hint-Google Earth is your bud if you want to try to find the seg’s and pre ride them like a cheater. Did I mention my Grand Pap used to say “If you ain’t cheatin’-you ain’t tryin’”. This section has some loose baby heads, a switch back or two, then levels out for some big ring to the end where you cross a little wash by the stables fence.

Segment 3- .7 miles in 6 minutes. The Cave Creek Slalom. If you have rode over here, you have probably hit this section. All down from the saddle start point to the Horse Tunnel under Cave Creek Rd. Starts our loose rock with solid craggy rock outcrops down singletrack then turns multi lined with same conditions. It transitions into a highly vegetated area that is smooth with quick blind turns. Hoop and Holler so do don’t head on a bum and go through the tunnel and out to finish.

Mulligan Chug-a-Lug- See above about Chug-a-Lug. Regroup as always and depending on time take a breather, because the only way out of here is up or on a city bus. Fun Fact: one of the fastest chugs we ever saw was from a 5 foot tall very petite lady. She also shredded a few men’s manhood on the trail!

Hill Climb Bonus- That awesome hill we just came down spent all our Gravity-Buck$ so time to earn some more! Climb this .7 mile beast faster than 3:56 and you get 20 second bonus and bragging rights! Do it faster than 4 minutes 30 secs and get 10 seconds. Try it at all (must let us know before you attempt) and get 5 seconds, unless you try it and go slower than 6 minutes where you will get docked 5 seconds. Want to save your lungs for the final section (trust me you do) and not time out on this one-thats cool-meet us at the top!

Segement 4- 1 mile long and about 8 minutes. This is the last segment. Time to leave your lungs on the trail! It starts at the saddle we just climbed to and instantly rolls into bad arse single track that is tight and fast. Pretty smooth but a couple baby heads stuck in the ground make things interesting! Be aware of the hard braking switchbacks and pedal hard. This segment will reward those who know how to turn and brake without loosing momentum since it is fairly flat with 1% up or down throughout. A real short climb up that seems like forever since you should be having a heart attack by now through the saddle towards the stables. Finish out on a rough, off camber, tricky, rocky, scary at speed little downhill and sell out!

We all regroup again and take a quick breather before rolling back to the rally point as a group. Who knows, maybe some Mulligans get talked about or a wheelie or stoppie competition breaks out on the way back. When we hit the rally point, break out your lawn chair (we will know who quit reading this before now when we look down at them sitting on the hard ground) and rehydrate while telling stories of near death experiences, hero status or any other lies you can come up with. Mulligans of 30 seconds will be given to all riders who pick up and bring back at least one piece of garbage found on the trail and not brought out by our group. They will also receive loads of trail chi. The volunteers will bring out the Geek who will take all the times and provide you will overall time which can then be compared to your fellow riders. I am not saying it will happen, but it has been known that someone brings a cool prize to bestow on the baddest assed rider of the evening.

Questions? Certainly.
    Contact for the volunteers via PM on MTBR
    -cstem, Tacobeer and MTBDennis
    or in real life Cory, Guy and Dennis
    or in email life- fmxannouncerman@live.com which is me-Cory.
    WE WILL PROVIDE A PHONE LIST WITH OUR NUMBERS ON IT TO ALL WHO RIDE THAT NIGHT. WE REQUIRE THAT YOU GIVE US YOURS IN CASE WE NEED TO REACH YOU ON THE TRAIL (don’t sweat it, we won’t give it out or sell it to telemarketers)

NUMBER PLATES WILL BE PROVIDED AND MUST BE RETURNED SO THE NEXT BEERDURO GROUP CAN USE THEM. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS WHOLE THING WE WILL KNOW IT AND MAY HECKLE YOU SO BAD THAT YOU DECIDE TO GO HOME AND NOT RIDE WITH US, AND WELL FRANKLY, THAT IS THE POINT.

mtbr member

Excited!
    Thanks for organizing Cory, Dennis, and Guy.

This post is within the range of one of Harv's emails. very informative!

After getting the feel of it, Ken, Derek, and myself will most likely organize one in Estrella soon.

No new blood
    I'm in the the beerduro, but I don't know the trails. If anyone that knows the segments described above wants to to a recon ride on next Saturday or Sunday, that would help me decide if I want to be timed or not. I'd call it a pre-ride, but that sounds so racy and this ain't a race, it's a Beerduro.
    "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." - P. Paulsen

mtbr member

Never ridden out there either so was planning an early morning ride on Sat. 5:30am or so. Can probably figure out most of the segments and then do some exploring. PM me if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    This sounds like it's all part of my normal ride. I'll be riding it Monday, Thursday, Sunday this week (7th, 10th, 13th) and Wednesday the 16th. The Visitor' Center trail-head opens at 5am, and I try to get pedaling about 5:15-5:30 at the latest.

I'm happy to show anyone who can make it that early in the morning.

I'll be riding tomorrow the 6th too. 6-6:30am start time
    Last edited by GR1822; 07-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Give it a crank
    Looks good, I'll be there. It reminds me that's where I did my very first PMP ride 20 years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    Excited!

After getting the feel of it, Ken, Derek, and myself will most likely organize one in Estrella soon.
    I've been in talks with Harv about arranging the one out that way too, but if you want to handle it, cool. My biggest concern was where to park the cars, which I just figured out. Probably not socially acceptable to have all these cars and beer in a school parking lot.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I've been in talks with Harv about arranging the one out that way too, but if you want to handle it, cool. My biggest concern was where to park the cars, which I just figured out. Probably not socially acceptable to have all these cars and beer in a school parking lot.
    We would host the ride at somebody's house, like a usual Thursday night.

mtbr member
    We would host the ride at somebody's house, like a usual Thursday night.
    Oh sweet. Cool. Makes sense. I live near the white tanks, so that was my one hang up.
-Grant Petersen

No new blood
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    The Visitor Center TH is the one off 7th Street? I can make the 6th at 6:00am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
    The Visitor Center TH is the one off 7th Street? I can make the 6th at 6:00am.
    Yes, 7th St South of Thunderbird. I'm in a 4door white Jeep wrangler.

Depending on how many show up and how fast we can complete all the segments I may add one more. if time doesn't permit for a segment maybe just roll around Ranger Mountain on the way back. See ya all there and good luck on the pre-rides.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Good idea Taco! Even if not enough time to run a segment, take whomever would like the extra miles around ranger while we run the rest of the group back and start compiling times for everyone.

If someone wants some more fun trail-Ranger Mountain is pretty fun- I just had a hard time fitting it in to this Beerduro and keeping us under time.

Who took my gears?
    I am so ready for this! Working on a killer mod to my rig just for this event

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    This sounds like it's all part of my normal ride. I'll be riding it Monday, Thursday, Sunday this week (7th, 10th, 13th) and Wednesday the 16th. The Visitor' Center trail-head opens at 5am, and I try to get pedaling about 5:15-5:30 at the latest.

I'm happy to show anyone who can make it that early in the morning.

I ride this side quite often and the only segment that sounds familiar is the CC DH to the horse tunnel...

Take that back... I think the hill climb bonus is that piece of sh|t climb up 100A towards the east side of Disneyland.

It's doubtful I'll ever be able to make a weeknight ride so have fun, chumps!

mtbr member
    I met AZBob this morning for some recon. Re-reading the segment description again tonight, we may have only ridden 2 of the segments, and definitely rode one the wrong direction. I knew we should have looked at the directions on the trail.
    Oh well, had a good time anyway.

mtbr member
    I would do a map, but in motorcycle Enduro, there is no pre-running the course. You can ride near or similar to get bike set up and mentally prepare though. I figure this keeps it fair for anyone who lives far away. It also is a great trick for promoters in case they have to make changes to the course prior to the event. It keeps the complaint ratio low!

One of the volunteers (probably all 3 so we can compare our times against yours-no times for us on Beerduro) will ride the course in the days prior to ensure there are nno new features that could be hazardous (more hazardous than usual-its bikes on dirt right?) or cause issues.

No new blood
    Even though we didn't ride the segments exactly as described, what we did ride was enough to get the gist of the actual segments. I think the biggest "gotcha" moment is the dip at the bottom of the chunk coming down from 7th St. The square rocks on the up side of the dip did a number on GR1822's front tire.

AKA shitbird
    I'm in. Sounds fun
    JRA

mtbr member
    Even though we didn't ride the segments exactly as described, what we did ride was enough to get the gist of the actual segments. I think the biggest "gotcha" moment is the dip at the bottom of the chunk coming down from 7th St. The square rocks on the up side of the dip did a number on GR1822's front tire.
    I'm racking my brain trying to figure out where this is.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    cstem makes cool point about how motorcycle enduros, there is no pre-running. I am a little torn on this though.

If Beerduro gets folks to ride areas they ussualy would not, then it seems to be a win. If it gets more folks to ride together, then it is a win. If a pre-ride gets folks more comfortable to make the event, then it is a win.

That said, it would be cool to show up with no clue what will be run. Can't really go wrong.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Excited!

Rode with Derek and Ken on Friday. You guys have done amazing work over there. Your crew and Dennis would put on a great Beerduro. Pick a date!

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    That said, it would be cool to show up with no clue what will be run. Can't really go wrong.
    That is exactly the situation I was in for the Hawes Beerduro. I had only ridden out there once before (during the day), and I had not ridden 90% of the segments we did in the beer duro. I agree, that bringing people together, and riding areas you would not normally ride are all good things! I am really looking forward to this one (and the next, and...)

mtbr member
    I think I'm prepped enough for this now. I have a good headlight and I drank 2 beers just last night.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMac View Post
    I think I'm prepped enough for this now. I have a good headlight and I drank 2 beers just last night.
    DaisyCutter? That you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    DaisyCutter? That you?
    No. A completely separate and unique Mark Mac in Arizona.... definitely not Daisy, Sugarpie.

You should be a detective.

:-p

No new blood
    I'd be all for no pre-rides or not posting the segments ahead of time for a daylight ride, but a timed event at night on unfamiliar trails and beer are more things than I want in play at the same time.

No new blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Somewhere between 8.4 and 8.6 miles on the track cstem posted a couple of days ago. It's not that big a deal until you get a sidewall tear and lose your front tire, then you have a good chance of taking a tumble and and going less tubeless.

Who took my gears?
    I'd be all for no pre-rides or not posting the segments ahead of time for a daylight ride, but a timed event at night on unfamiliar trails and beer are more things than I want in play at the same time.
    I have never ridden with you, but my first thought when reading this is "over thinking it". You do not have to drink at all to come out and play, and if you do drink how much and when is entirely up to you (drinking after the ride will have no impact on your riding ), similarly, how hard you push it is also entirely up to you. So just refrain from a pre-ride beer, when you get to the chug contest judge how things are going up to that point and just have fun! These things are timed, but not super competitive, the main objective is to have FUN! Something that gets lost in the mix when we get too wrapped up in racing / etc. I say come out, don't push too hard, and if 1 beer impacts your riding ability, refrain from the chug contest (you will still have fun watching everyone else), and have a few after the ride! Chances are, you will enjoy yourself, meet some cool new people, and start thinking about hosting one in your neck of the woods in the near future

mtbr member
    Me too, so I can shortcut a couple timed sections. I have mad skillz when nobody is looking.

mtbr member
    So it finally looks like I can finally make one! Does anyone know where I can rent a light? Mine doesn't hold a charge anymore. Or if someone has a spare, I can provide liquid payment, barter for services, or monetary if you so prefer. Thanks in advance.
-Grant Petersen

No new blood
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    "over thinking it"
    No, not really. I understand that this is not a race and you don't have to drink and all of that, but at the same time segments are going to be timed and there is a fizzy beverage chug involved. I will push myself within my limits and I will have at least one beer. I'll have another beer or two after the ride and I'll talk to people I've just met and others I already know. I won't have too many beers because the penalty for failure do drive straight on the way home is too high for me to pay.

On the other hand, I don't care to night ride on trails I haven't seen during the day. For me, that reduces the fun and takes away my desire to push myself. If I don't push myself on a Beerduro, what am I left with? That would be the McDowell Summer night ride series. Those are fun. And you get free beer out on the loop. Sometimes more if you stick around to help lighten the load so full beers don't have to be hauled back to the TH.

So, given that alcohol is not really my issue, pick two from timed event, night ride, and unfamiliar trails.

Who took my gears?
    So it finally looks like I can finally make one! Does anyone know where I can rent a light? Mine doesn't hold a charge anymore. Or if someone has a spare, I can provide liquid payment, barter for services, or monetary if you so prefer. Thanks in advance.
    I have a spare I can bring for you to use. It is not the best of lights, but it will get the job done. It is this one: 2500LM CREE XML T6 LED Bike Cycling Bicycle Front Head Light Headlamp Torch Lamp | eBay

I will bring it with in case you still need it. I rode with it a few times as my only light and quickly decided I needed a second light (one on bars, one on helmet).

mtbr member

Me too, so I can shortcut a couple timed sections. I have mad skillz when nobody is looking.
    If you remind me next Thurs or Friday I can bring my spare 1800 lum MagicShine handlebar light.

mtbr member
    I've got an extra MagicShine 1400 and battery I'll bring for anyone else who needs. I'ts the mickey mouse looking one. The center spot light doesn't work, but the ears throw a good wide flood. It works well on the handlebars in conjunction with a headlamp.

No Clue Crew
    I THINK it's on 100A north of North Mountain. The 7th St Overlook segment is taking that right (100A) at the bench on 100 from 7th Ave to 7th St.

I'm a little disappointed that the "Hell Climb" in reverse isn't a segment. But, since I won't be able to make these my opinion doesn't much matter

mtbr member

Order a Cree from amazon. Like $30 for 1000 lumen and battery, plus it will probably get to you before the event!

Who took my gears?
    Order a Cree from amazon. Like $30 for 1000 lumen and battery, plus it will probably get to you before the event!
    Yeah, these are great starter / backup lights... http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Bicycl..._bxgy_sg_img_y for less than $20 you can't go wrong. I do suggest having two lights (one on bars and one on helmet) for two reasons, 1) it is good to have a backup out on the trail if one goes down, and 2) it is awesome having one shining where you are looking (helmet) and the other where you are going (bars).

Looking forward to this thing!

mtbr member
    So far up to 15 riders and most being timed.

Another rider brought up a good idea- asking those who want a no stress way to see what this is all about, meet and hang with fellow riders, ride some awesome trail at night and maybe have fun, come on out and give us a hand on the trail routing riders and that. PM for info or to sign on!

I am so excited I am working 36 hours straight in Amarillo just to be home the day of this event!

mtbr member
    I zip-tie ninja'd up my own secondary helmet light tonight:

Awesomest Free Helmet Light

mtbr member
    I zip-tie ninja'd up my own secondary helmet light tonight:

Awesomest Free Helmet Light
    Sweet! Not sure if you already did, but from experience sometimes putting a peice of velcro on lid and rail along with the zips will steady the beam. I had always done this but at the first Beerduro, I got a new lid and did not have time to do the velcro thing. The light shook just enough it was like a strobe light all night!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the light offers, guys. I may take you up on one of them if you don't mind. In the mean time I'll see if I can swing one of the Cree lights mentioned above.
-Grant Petersen

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I rode PMP West yesterday. Mainly trail 100 from Dreamy Draw to Shaw Butte, with some diversions fun and bad trail choices. I fogot the map, but that mad it kind of fun. Found some cool stuff. Going CW on Shaw Butte is not a good idea.

I might have gone on a segment or few, but have no idea. Definetely found a lot of rock. Tube folks, run higher pressure!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the light offers, guys. I may take you up on one of them if you don't mind. In the mean time I'll see if I can swing one of the Cree lights mentioned above.
    If you're actually looking for a light, I'm selling my spare one for $75.

Amazon.com : MagicShine 2000-Lumen LED Bike Light with Improved Battery and Charger : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    I am looking for another light, and appreciate the offer to buy. I'm just in the process of coming up with the finances to do so.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm in if my bike lights get here in time. This sounds awesome

No Clue Crew
    Yeah, these are great starter / backup lights... Amazon.com : RioRand 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp : Sports & Outdoors for less than $20 you can't go wrong. I do suggest having two lights (one on bars and one on helmet) for two reasons, 1) it is good to have a backup out on the trail if one goes down, and 2) it is awesome having one shining where you are looking (helmet) and the other where you are going (bars).

Looking forward to this thing!
    Sweet Jesus, $20 for (basicly) a MagicShine? I was just thinking about getting something like the triple MS for my bars but two of these would work just as well at certainly less than half the cost. Wonder what the longevity is like? I see reviews complain about batteries not holding a charge.

mtbr member
    BEERDUO!!!!!!

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Sweet Jesus, $20 for (basicly) a MagicShine? I was just thinking about getting something like the triple MS for my bars but two of these would work just as well at certainly less than half the cost. Wonder what the longevity is like? I see reviews complain about batteries not holding a charge.
    I have had about 3 of them and the batteries have lasted me about two summers. The first one I got was this exact one, then I got the one with 4 bulbs, and next the one with 2...

CREE XM L 4X T6 LED 5200LM Bicycle Light Headlight Headlamp 5 LED Rear Light | eBay -- Really liked this one, it lasted one summer (light would not turn on after that - no big deal, just used the battery as my backup)

2X CREE XML U2 LED T6 Upgrade Ultra Bright Bicycle Bike Night Light Red Black | eBay -- This is the one I am using right now and it is on its second summer of use, battery is getting a bit weaker but will still last well into a 2 hour ride as long as I don't leave it on high the entire ride (usually just use high on the descents and put it on low or off for the climbs)

2014 CygoLite Expilion 800 USB Rechargeable Headlight Knot 700 Free Shipping | eBay I did sport for a better light for my helmet because I do not like dealing with wires and battery on my head... LOVE this one and it is on its 3rd summer of use (I did buy a backup battery for it for $30)...

mtbr member
    There is a local guy who makes great batteries for all of these lights.

ballistic batteries

I got a few from him years ago that are still going strong

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am calling out Douger. I bet a beer I got him covered on Friday.

mtbr member
    I'd like to take advantage of one of the light offers if they still stand. Unfortunately I was not able to get one for Friday. I will have plenty of time between work and the beginning of the ride to pick up beverages for payment if needed. Thanks again.
-Grant Petersen

How much further ???
    Not sure Ill be able to make this one.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Who took my gears?
    I'd like to take advantage of one of the light offers if they still stand. Unfortunately I was not able to get one for Friday. I will have plenty of time between work and the beginning of the ride to pick up beverages for payment if needed. Thanks again.
    Mine will be available, but I recommend using it in conjunction with another one as a backup It will be good enough to run on its own, but it would not be ideal. No payment needed to use it...

mtbr member
    Mine will be available, but I recommend using it in conjunction with another one as a backup It will be good enough to run on its own, but it would not be ideal. No payment needed to use it...
    Thanks so much. I've been dying to do one of these, so this is great. I will being the light I have for the bars, just won't turn it on for a while. It's a 150 lumen Light & Motion, just doesn't hold the charge it used to.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

I'll bring mine as well

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I too will bring extra Lights
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I'll bring mine as well
    Thanks. This should be a blast. Looking forward to some new trails and what not.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Blast...I'm going to be out of town for this one.

Give it a crank
    I'll bring my IPA lights: Illumination for Paying Attention

mtbr member
    I was out riding this morning for the first time since Thursday. However many monsoons hit PMP really washed out some of the trails. Way more babyheads and some new deep ruts on the run down to Carefree.
    The Disneyland descent took a good hit too.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Awesome! The locals will have a little less of a home field advantage.

Real serious informative video on enduro. What's Enduro Mountain biking? - YouTube

Days away, What is the latest roll call?

It's still on, we can change routes if needed but these routes do well even after heavy rains. The DH Cave Creek road did very good for the last 20 years until last year whoever swept the trails clean and made those useless runoffs. it'll still be a fun time, just be ready for humidity.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Yah. I'm in! Been looking forward to this since I missed the GC Beerduro.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    The DH Cave Creek road did very good for the last 20 years until last year whoever swept the trails clean and made those useless runoffs.
    I don't know a thing about trail building or maintenance, but I agree that who ever did the work to that section of trail did more harm than good.

mtbr member
    I was on the DH section to CaveCreek road when it rained. Started spitting and I decided to get to the tunnel before I decided what to do (most storms pass in 15 minutes). By the time I descended the trail (also the flow of water) was 1 inch deep and 6 inches wide. The tunnel was dry, but the east side with the strom drain from the street had a 3 foot round gusher flowing into it (i have pics, come to beerduro to see!) I decided to sit and wait out the rain, with a cold brew from my pack. After 15 minutes, my trail that was 1 inch deep was now 2 feet deep and 8 feet wide! Who gives a shiite? Its dirt in nature. We ride regardless. Friday looks a little drier by the weather report, so no rain plan is in effect. Beerduro-its for riders.

How much further ???
    Not sure I will make this one. For the past two I have entered the results into a spreadsheet on my laptop. Don't know if you have a different solution for this but Id be more than willing to forward the excel sheet to whomever wants it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Not sure I will make this one. For the past two I have entered the results into a spreadsheet on my laptop. Don't know if you have a different solution for this but Id be more than willing to forward the excel sheet to whomever wants it.
    Please send it to me. Will PM you my email address...

Who took my gears?
    Just a few reminder folks...

1) Charge your lights!
    2) Freeze your bladders (I find it helps keep the beers I cram in there cold)
    3) Buy beer
    4) Start training by throwing back a few cold ones tonight!

See you all tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Just a few reminder folks...

1) Charge your lights!
    2) Freeze your bladders (I find it helps keep the beers I cram in there cold)
    3) Buy beer
    4) Start training by throwing back a few cold ones tonight!

See you all tomorrow!
    Wait, you're not providing the beer? Why am I even going then?

FYI, I've seen some posts on FB that apparently the trails on the west side are very, VERY chewed up. I do think sending down a guinea pig at each section might be recommended.

mtbr member

FYI, I've seen some posts on FB that apparently the trails on the west side are very, VERY chewed up. I do think sending down a guinea pig at each section might be recommended.
    I planned on bringing extra beer, especially due to the borrowing of lights, probably a San Tan variety pack or something similar...
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    I planned on bringing extra beer, especially due to the borrowing of lights, probably a San Tan variety pack or something similar...
    I was joshing, I'll be bringing beer. But that said, I've never, EVER, in my life turned down free beer.

How much further ???
    Please send it to me. Will PM you my email address...
    Beerduro template sent !!!

Who took my gears?

I took half the day off tomorrow and I think Cory and I (not sure about Guy) are considering riding most of the segments in the afternoon before the shenanigans begin!

mtbr member
    I plan on riding tomorrow afternoon since I won't be competing. The only thing that would change a segment is say an impassable rut crossing the trail or something. This is the beauty of BeerDuro- since it's only as serious as you make it, you can roll as slow as you see fit or walk.
    BTW-list is updated, if you have not been notified by PM, don't sweat it, just show up and you will be included. Grass-roots riding with like minded folks!

And you just want to come along with no pressure, we could use people to ride along/ahead with one of us to help direct riders. You get to ride all the segments, hang out and see what this is all about. This is perfect for those who have honed some skills, but are still wary about their fitness and keeping up with others. You don't have to keep up, you get to guage your abilities and still meet awesome people like yourself who love to ride bikes.