Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540

    Please Help Send an Email to the FS Regarding a Sedona Trail Study

    Some of you may have heard of the Trail Study
    (http://data.ecosystem-management.org...?project=22614) going on in Sedona regarding the adopting of eighteen plus non-system trails and giving them system status.

    I personally believe all the trails being studied are worthy of being brought into the current system, and it is my hope you will help making that process a reality someday by emailing Jennifer Burns at the Red Rock Ranger District.

    I have provided a sample letter, which will work in conveying a favorable response, and it is my hope that MTRB viewers who have had a positive riding or hiking experience in Sedona will either email the sample letter or a more detailed letter to FS in support of adopting the trails being scoped. Obviously, if you are against adopting those trails being studied you can do as you see fit.

    Please help by emailing Jennifer a favorable response. I am attaching my Microsoft Word response to the FS for your reference if you want to go into a huge amount of detail about each trail you may be familiar with.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    TD


    This is a copy of my short to the point SAMPLE LETTER:

    To: Jennifer Burns, Recreation Staff Officer, Red Rock Ranger District
    Email Address: jmburns@fs.fed.us

    From:

    Re: Sedona Trails Study Scoping Process

    Dear Ms. Burns:

    I am a user of several of the unsanctioned trails being studied for adoption by the Red Rock Ranger District, and it is my hope that many if not all the trails being scoped will someday be brought into a system status and be considered sanctioned trails.

    The inclusion of these trails in the Red Rock District will help with increasing Sedona’s reputation as a wonderful hiking and biking destination.

    Sincerely,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by traildoc; 08-06-2010 at 11:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,177
    My email was just sent. Thanks for posting this up along with the links. It is a thrill to see things moving along in a positive way in Sedona!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    Email sent. Thanks Traildoc!
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Apexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    115
    email in support of adopting the scoping trails just sent

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    My email was just sent. Thanks for posting this up along with the links. It is a thrill to see things moving along in a positive way in Sedona!!
    DG:

    I really appreciate your support regarding the Scoping process. I know you have a large group of like minded friends and if there is some way you could communicate to them to help out with this email campaign I would appreciate it.

    TD

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9
    TD, just sent an email to Jennifer. thanks for the links etc,. see ya on the trails.
    Marc

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Email sent. Thanks Traildoc!
    CP:

    Thanks for all your support.

    TD

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    TrailDoc,
    I sent your letter.
    Cuddos for seeking legitimization of these trails.
    Be back this winter

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Nuts
    TrailDoc,
    I sent your letter.
    Be back this winter
    Good to hear from you thanks for posting the email to the FS. We are looking forward to your return.

    TD

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    984
    done!

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by MKDIRT
    TD, just sent an email to Jennifer. thanks for the links etc,. see ya on the trails.
    Marc
    MKD:

    Thanks for providing an email to the FS.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    done!
    Thanks BG see if you can get your better half to send a response, hopefully it will be positive.

    TD

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    984
    don't worry, he will!

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    don't worry, he will!
    BG:

    Is there anyway you might be able to cross post the thread to NSMBA?

    I was thinking of offering a chance for a two night free stay in my motor casa and a tour of trails being scoped for those who emailed the scoping response to the FS. My idea is to keep a list and do a drawing of all those who did an email to the FS. People woud have to email me that they responded so I could put their name on the list.

  15. #15
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    Done.

  16. #16
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,752

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick
    Done.
    MC:

    Thanks so much for helping with this worthy cause.

  18. #18
    Shaman
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    636
    Email sent! Thanks for letting us know about this. Sedona is my favorite winter spot and possible new winter home so keep up the good work!
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Dean:

    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for your email and cross linking to socaltrailriders
    Last edited by traildoc; 08-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterRide
    Email sent! Thanks for letting us know about this. Sedona is my favorite winter spot and possible new winter home so keep up the good work!
    BR:

    Thanks for email to Ms. Burns. When you get here next check out the soon to be new FS trail called Aerie. It is a recently approved intermediate (+) FS trail, which should be completed by Sept. If you are in Sedona in the Winter let me know.

    TD

  21. #21
    Shaman
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    BR:

    Thanks for email to Ms. Burns. When you get here next check out the soon to be new FS trail called Aerie. It is a recently approved intermediate (+) FS trail, which should be completed by Sept. If you are in Sedona in the Winter let me know.

    TD
    I will be there this winter and I will definitely let you know before hand. Looking forward to riding some sick Sedona trails.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

  22. #22
    dead weight
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    731
    email sent. thanks for the info TD
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC
    email sent. thanks for the info TD
    Jack:

    Thanks for taking the time to email the FS.

    TD

  24. #24
    Ridin bikes is fun
    Reputation: surfndav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    783
    TD, just sent my letter. Thanks for all your doing up there. It's been a very busy summer for me, but I'm dying to get back up and ride with you again.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

  25. #25
    Bandolero
    Reputation: notaknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,432

    Snow in Sedona...

    Email sent. Probably be out to help bed-in some of those trails in October.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    TD, just sent my letter. Thanks for all your doing up there. It's been a very busy summer for me, but I'm dying to get back up and ride with you again.
    sd:

    Thanks for sendng the email. Let me know whe you head up this way again.

    TD

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Email sent. Probably be out to help bed-in some of those trails in October.
    knob:

    I really appreciate you supporting the Sedona trail system. I look forward to ridng with you in October.

    TD

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    56

    Done.

    Email sent, and if I can figure it out I will xpost over in the Nevada forum. I know there are a bunch of riders from Vegas that head over to Sedona.

  29. #29
    Brit on a trip
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    452
    Thanks for the heads up doc - pleased to help and e mail sent tonight.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit
    email in support of adopting the scoping trails just sent
    Ape:

    Thanks for sending a response to the FS, every little bit helps.

  31. #31
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Thanks for the heads up doc - pleased to help and e mail sent tonight.
    TyF:

    Thanks for supporting the scoping process. I went out today with the FS hydrologist and gave him a tour of Anaconda and Snake. After the hike I think he had a positive view of both trails, so it gives me some hope.

    TD

  32. #32
    406
    406 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 406's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    56
    done. thanks for posting. hope to make it out your way soon.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,804
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    TyF:

    Thanks for supporting the scoping process. I went out today with the FS hydrologist and gave him a tour of Anaconda and Snake. After the hike I think he had a positive view of both trails, so it gives me some hope.

    TD
    Doc, I sent a letter back in June. And also I expressed the desire that, of the trails incorporated into the system, that the FS should try to preserve the primitive nature, backcountry character and challenging aspects of the trails if at all possible. The trails arose, in part, to meet a demand not previously addressed by the the rest of the designated trail system. It would be a pity if they were lined by rock jails and dumbed down but I suppose it it's a choice between that or eradication I would choose the former. I sure did run into a lot of stoked hikers on HE this winter/spring.

    I'm curious what the hydrologist had to say about Anaconda and Snake. Snake is more than 10 years old and is not nearly as sustainable as Anaconda. In fact, it has eroded quite a bit. Especially the fall line section before it first crosses the drainage heading toward Dry Creek. My impression is that Anaconda is just fine as it is and Snake needs a reroute or two.

  34. #34
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Doc, I sent a letter back in June. And also I expressed the desire that, of the trails incorporated into the system, that the FS should try to preserve the primitive nature, backcountry character and challenging aspects of the trails if at all possible. The trails arose, in part, to meet a demand not previously addressed by the the rest of the designated trail system. It would be a pity if they were lined by rock jails and dumbed down but I suppose it it's a choice between that or eradication I would choose the former. I sure did run into a lot of stoked hikers on HE this winter/spring.

    I'm curious what the hydrologist had to say about Anaconda and Snake. Snake is more than 10 years old and is not nearly as sustainable as Anaconda. In fact, it has eroded quite a bit. Especially the fall line section before it first crosses the drainage heading toward Dry Creek. My impression is that Anaconda is just fine as it is and Snake needs a reroute or two.
    I think both trails might make the cut.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3
    Email sent. Thank you for keeping us all informed.

  36. #36
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by 406
    done. thanks for posting. hope to make it out your way soon.
    406:

    Thanks for sending the email to the FS. Let me know when you are in Sedona we will have a new trail for you to try out when you get here.

    TD

  37. #37
    We need more wax
    Reputation: justbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    301
    My wife says you don't have enough to do and to get a life. Good thing you retired guys do have lots of time to participate in the process.

    BTW, Renegade at the Whistler Bike Park is still there. Seems to be like it was last summer.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

  38. #38
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob
    My wife says you don't have enough to do and to get a life. Good thing you retired guys do have lots of time to participate in the process.

    BTW, Renegade at the Whistler Bike Park is still there. Seems to be like it was last summer.
    Where is your video of Renegade????? ( ). Did you send in the scoping response to the FS? You might mention that being from Cali that you enjoy the easier flowy trails best like Anaconda and Touron.

    TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 08-15-2010 at 01:48 PM.

  39. #39
    We need more wax
    Reputation: justbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    301
    I don't think we videoed Renegade. The first time down it was a day after rain. The off camber rock slab was INTERESTING. That means I walked it.

    Maybe you should create an App for the trails in Sedona like the Whistler one?

    I'll send an email to the FS later. Got to get ready for our sailing trip on Tahoe later today.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    I would love to learn that too.. Thanks for posting this information though.. Also, I would love to see more posts from you so that I could learn more and more. I will also post some pictures of the trails I went to last summer.

    Hotmail

  41. #41
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Sending an email now. Thanks TD
    JRA

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •