mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Planning a trip out to Chandler area

Hi there AZ peeps,

I am planning a business trip next week that'll take me to Chandler and I am thinking of maybe trying out some of the local trails in the area. I'm an intermediate rider, so not looking for anything crazy. Any suggestions? Any place where I can rent a bike or should I bring my own?

mtbr member
    What dates? Iíd suggest night riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Chandler will have you close to South Mountain park, fantastic. Check the Trailforks app for more info there and other spots like Gold Canyon. It's mostly all in that app.

HOWEVER - if you're from out of town it's too f***ing hot in PHX after about 8am this time of year to ride. If you do ride in PHX any time during the summer bring at least 1 liter of water per hour. Hydrate before too. The heat can easily kill a young fit person if unprepared.

As the reply above suggests, the locals go night riding this time of year. It's a blast. Go to a local bike shop to after work (maybe Global bikes on Ray near the 101) to ask about lights and group rides.

mtbr member
    San Tan Regional park in San Tan valley has good flowy intermediate trails. You can rent bikes at Global on Ray or Landis Cycles on Southern in Tempe. Go riding early, like 5 am, and take plenty water. Temps at that time can range from 80 to 90 degrees but it should be low humidity which will help until Monsoon season kicks in
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I agree with maverickc_c on the time of day. If you're an early riser and your work schedule allows for it, riding in the morning is much much nicer.

• temps are lower
    • if you're new to the riding here, there's less risk of injury ('cause you can see)
    • your light won't be illuminating all the dust you're inhaling (it's still there in the morning, but out of sight, out of mind right? )

What cross streets will you be near? The city of Chandler covers a large area. You may be near South Mountain, or San Tan. That will also help us direct you to a shop for a rental.

Personally, I'm a fan of renting from a local shop. They appreciate the business and will further help you on where to ride. I despise paying airlines extra fees for carrying bikes, when they take no extra responsibility for handling it. Or you could ship your bike beforehand to the local shop and have them get it ready for you, then have them pack and ship it back.

I've not ridden San Tan, but I've heard it's more beginner friendly (others can chime in). South Mountain can be quite technical, unless you stay on the Desert Classic trail.

Heed the others on their advice about riding in the heat and hydration. If you're not used to it, it can be brutal. You don't want to end up on the 6:00PM news. Also consider taking some electrolytes before, during and after the ride.

Humidity right now is around 10%. That means that moisture is being wicked from you even as you breathe. You'll notice people carrying around large water bottles, even if they're just running errands.

Not trying to scare you! The riding here can be amazing, we just want you to be safe, enjoy your stay and want to come back to visit again.

Cheers!
    -Scott

Meatbomb
    Where are you coming from? If Vegas you'll be fine. If Indy, you need to start hydrating now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for all the replies.. I'll be heading out there early next week, 6/11, and will be in town all week until Saturday, 6/16. I live and ride in Orange County, CA (SoCal) where the temps have been a constant 70-85 degrees lately, so yeah the heat is def. going to be a factor and honestly one I did not even think about (D'oh). After looking at a map I'll be closer to South Mountain Park. I've never tried night riding and the thought of it is kinda scary tbh. I may need to settle for a 5 to 6am quickie ride maybe. That or visit you guys in the fall or something

Meatbomb
    quickies are recommended....or november.

mtbr member
    Name:  DryHeat_zpse4trl3la.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  17.1 KB

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by ocdjg View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.. I'll be heading out there early next week, 6/11, and will be in town all week until Saturday, 6/16. I live and ride in Orange County, CA (SoCal) where the temps have been a constant 70-85 degrees lately, so yeah the heat is def. going to be a factor and honestly one I did not even think about (D'oh). After looking at a map I'll be closer to South Mountain Park. I've never tried night riding and the thought of it is kinda scary tbh. I may need to settle for a 5 to 6am quickie ride maybe. That or visit you guys in the fall or something
    LOL...Iím from the Phoenix area, but in Orange County (Aliso Viejo) right now on business, and often bring or rent a bike to ride here - Aliso Woods, Whiting/Luge, Santiago Oaks, etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE the temps here!

Very simply, based on your location and other factors youíve mentioned, ride Desert Classic as an out and back, starting at 5-5:30 am. Itíll be about 17-18 miles and a 1.5-2 hour ride, and itís mostly easy riding, with some brief, more moderate parts. This keep you close to civilization, avoids the technical parts of SoMo, and allows you to flip it at any time if youíve had enough.

And hydrate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    South Mountain is brutal for intermediate bikers, stick to San Tan loop or McDowell for Pemberton. San Tan loop is 7.64 miles with a good amount of climbs and Pemberton is 15.5 miles with a really fast & fun last 5.5 miles. I live in Chandler very close to San Tan trails and moved here 6 months ago from the Midwest. I am off work the 10th & 11th so if you want an experienced guide PM me.
    2014 Norco Sight 27.5 7.2 carbon FSR
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er HT Comp
    being built, 2018 Evil Bikes The Wreckoning.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by MNMBrosMTB View Post
    South Mountain is brutal for intermediate bikers, stick to San Tan loop or McDowell for Pemberton. San Tan loop is 7.64 miles with a good amount of climbs and Pemberton is 15.5 miles with a really fast & fun last 5.5 miles. I live in Chandler very close to San Tan trails and moved here 6 months ago from the Midwest. I am off work the 10th & 11th so if you want an experienced guide PM me.
    Desert Classic at South Mountain is brutal for intermediate bikers? Now I have heard everything. To the OP, the route Walt described would be perfect, there is difficult stuff at South Mountain for sure, but Desert Classic is VERY, VERY tame. A LOT of new mountain bikers learn how to ride on that trail.
    "You either want to or you don't."

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's a South Mountain route for you: https://www.trailforks.com/routepopular/525253/

It uses a bunch of Desert Classic and a few of the offshoot loops. Start as close to 5a as you can and you'll be back at your vehicle by 7a at a leisure pace.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Brown's Ranch isn't that far from Chandler... more scenic, easy and probably 5 degrees cooler than any other place in the valley

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    LOL...Iím from the Phoenix area, but in Orange County (Aliso Viejo) right now on business, and often bring or rent a bike to ride here - Aliso Woods, Whiting/Luge, Santiago Oaks, etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE the temps here!

Very simply, based on your location and other factors youíve mentioned, ride Desert Classic as an out and back, starting at 5-5:30 am. Itíll be about 17-18 miles and a 1.5-2 hour ride, and itís mostly easy riding, with some brief, more moderate parts. This keep you close to civilization, avoids the technical parts of SoMo, and allows you to flip it at any time if youíve had enough.

And hydrate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the OC! Yeah Santiago and Whiting are my stomping grounds, love those trails. Chutes is particularly nice right now if you decide to ride in Santiago. Thanks for the trail suggestion, I looked it up and started seeing some videos, looks pretty chill but perfect for a little AZ trail action. I'll most likely be heading out to that trail next weekend, bright and early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Brown's Ranch isn't that far from Chandler... more scenic, easy and probably 5 degrees cooler than any other place in the valley
    I live on the E side of Chandler and it is 45 miles to the trailhead.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

Meatbomb
    If in Chandler, Hawes would be a better choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    If in Chandler, Hawes would be a better choice.
    My second recommendation if a 45 minute drive is way too far..

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    So I called Global and they told me that they are closed for the season as far as rentals are concerned, that sucks. I guess I may have to bring my rig if I want to ride.

mtbr member
    So I called Global and they told me that they are closed for the season as far as rentals are concerned, that sucks. I guess I may have to bring my rig if I want to ride.
    https://www.cactusadventures.com/bike-rentals

There are others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

EDR
    -Bike Masters in Gilbert rents Speshy, at least.
    -Bike Masters in Ahwatukee near SoMo rents Yeti and Pivot..at least. I just demo'd a SB5 there last week. Kinda pricey for a 24hr rental at $100 but I think the Gilbert shop is more like $60/day, at least I thought I saw that pricing on their website.

Sent you a PM last week.

mtbr member
    If you are close to South Mtn the go ride desert classic. Well worth it. Fun trail with no big climbs, but many smaller ones. Good bit of rocks, but nothing crazy. It was one of places I learned to ride years ago an still love it today. The only downside is that is quite popular so you will see trail runners, hikers, and other riders even at 5am. All the locals go there and many go right from the houses.

if you want more than one day the "east loops" are fun without being too crazy. Trails are harder to follow as it is a spiderweb, but not too much chance of getting really lost.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi fellas... I just got back from my business trip. I ended up just riding a little road bike to and from work. It was not the trails that I wanted to hit up, but it was something at least. The day I was planning on hitting up South Mountain would've been today, but it was freaking raining! So in a way I'm kinda glad I ended up not riding the local trails this go around. However I will be back and I do intend to ride out there. So til next time

mtbr member
    ^^^ Yesterday was the nicest day we've had in a long time for riding. I didn't see any rain while I was riding but was hoping it would...

mtbr member
    Hi fellas... I just got back from my business trip. I ended up just riding a little road bike to and from work. It was not the trails that I wanted to hit up, but it was something at least. The day I was planning on hitting up South Mountain would've been today, but it was freaking raining! So in a way I'm kinda glad I ended up not riding the local trails this go around. However I will be back and I do intend to ride out there. So til next time
    You bailed on what were arguably the best riding conditions in months

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    You bailed on what were arguably the best riding conditions in months
    Well that freakin sucks then! LoL. Oh well, live and learn.