Pivotal figure

Good job! Pivot Cycles Demo This Sat at SoMo!

Yes! We're finally gonna hold a demo right at the Pima Canyon entrance. Sat, Dec 14 from 9 to 3. We'll have the East Coast demo fleet (sprinter & trailer) so come on out and ride the bikes on the same trails we do all our testing on! Bring your helmet & riding gear along with photo ID (drivers license) and credit card. See you there
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I tried the 429C at McDowell a few weeks back and it's a terriffic bike, but a little beyond my means right now with 2 kids in college. Will you have any aluminum versions at SoMo? Thanks...
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Pivotal figure
    We'll have a couple of those bikes out there.

Pivot Cycles
    Nov 2013
    There will be a medium black 429 alloy at the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at View Post
    I tried the 429C at McDowell a few weeks back and it's a terriffic bike, but a little beyond my means right now with 2 kids in college. Will you have any aluminum versions at SoMo? Thanks...
    Disclaimer: I work for Pivot Cycles.

mtbr member
    any les x9 carbon framed hardtails ? any les carbon hartails at all ?

No Clue Crew
    DIBS on a Firebird 27.5 large!

Pivotal figure
    All of our demo bikes are built up with Shimano kits. We'll have Les's available in 29er and 27.5 versions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mach 6 ?
    The parking lot is going to be packed!

No Clue Crew
    Seriously, can I hold a Firebird 27.5 Large for 9a? I'd like to show up at 7a and ride for up National on MY bike so I have as direct of a comparison between it and the Bird that I can have. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll have to show up at 8a and wait in line and have no real comparison between the two.

Pivotal figure
    Demos are 1st come, first serve affairs. We've tried the reservation thing before and it always blows up in our face. I have NO idea how busy this demo will be but expect it to be hopping...

No Clue Crew
    It'll be hopping certainly. I guess I'll just plan on riding my bike...

mtbr member
    I would gladly pay you next Tuesday (2025) for a Pivot Mach 6 today.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I don't need to demo a Pivot. Every single model I have ever ridden has blown my mind. If I go, I'll just feel sad that I don't own one. Maybe I will change that one day. Firebird 27.5 is what I need. If they ever offer that thing in carbon, I'll have no choice.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    I don't need to demo a Pivot. Every single model I have ever ridden has blown my mind. If I go, I'll just feel sad that I don't own one. Maybe I will change that one day. Firebird 27.5 is what I need. If they ever offer that thing in carbon, I'll have no choice.
    They do. It's called a Mach 6!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    It'll be hopping certainly. I guess I'll just plan on riding my bike...
    hey Big O just do your comparison in reverse. Ride the Firebird first, and then ride your bike. that is still back to back!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

No Clue Crew
    That's a thought as well but I still don't have the desire to wait in a line for the chance to MAYBE demo a bike...

Sent from my Thunderbolt via TapATalk 4

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You never know. I happened to ge riding at PMP several weeks ago. When I got back to the lot, Pivot was set up. I walked up and was riding a Mach 6 in 10 minutes.

No Clue Crew
    I've got no such luck. Still undecided if I wanna bother...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ^^^^ They bring like 50 bikes. You'll be fine. The Mach 6 is my dream bike. I say that as an owner of a Firebird.

Pivotal figure
    Headed out to setup, see you there!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Mach 6 was good!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Me too. Rode XL Mach 6 on Mormon National loop. I felt the climbs were easier compared to my Stumpy 26 Evo. Overall smooth bike. Good job out there guys and thanks for the socks!!

Pivotal figure
    It was a good day, lots of people out to ride the bikes. Thanks for stopping by!

No Clue Crew
    I liked looking and shot the breeze with a couple people but after thinking it over I decided:

1. No bike is gonna make me any better. My weakness is my brain and my legs. No bike's gonna help them.
    2. Even if I liked it I couldn't afford it.
    3. Chances would've been pretty good that I would have broken something on it and then had to pay to fix a bike that I don't get to ride again.

So, I took a leisurely stroll up National and had my ass soundly handed to me. I should stop being optimistic when climbing National. It'll save me a lot of frustration.

Nice seeing that 27.5 DH rig, though!

Si vales, valeo.
    Looked like a pretty good turn out when I was there a bit later on, (I showed up at about 2:15pm). I didn't demo anything, but I asked just about everyone I came across their thoughts, and it was largely positive.

Side note: @big0mike, I took my brother and bro-in-law for their second time on National, and the trip up all but completely wasted my bro-in-law, (though to be fair to him, he did end up sick today, so I'm guessing he had a bug then too...)
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

Pivotal figure
    Dang Mike, you gotta look at it the exact opposite way and make it into a fun challenge. I like to approach the National uphill like a video game. More points for getting further without stopping, bonus points for cleaning something tough in one shot. Just modify your goals and don't get wrapped in how hard it is. That trail is my fave because it IS hard! Easily one of the most difficult trails you'll ever ride.
    I liked looking and shot the breeze with a couple people but after thinking it over I decided:

1. No bike is gonna make me any better. My weakness is my brain and my legs. No bike's gonna help them.
    2. Even if I liked it I couldn't afford it.
    3. Chances would've been pretty good that I would have broken something on it and then had to pay to fix a bike that I don't get to ride again.

So, I took a leisurely stroll up National and had my ass soundly handed to me. I should stop being optimistic when climbing National. It'll save me a lot of frustration.

Nice seeing that 27.5 DH rig, though!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Dang Mike, you gotta look at it the exact opposite way and make it into a fun challenge. I like to approach the National uphill like a video game. More points for getting further without stopping, bonus points for cleaning something tough in one shot. Just modify your goals and don't get wrapped in how hard it is. That trail is my fave because it IS hard! Easily one of the most difficult trails you'll ever ride.
    I DO enjoy it but it's frustrating as hell. And your "game" won't work because I've never made it past that first obstacle after the Mormon/National split. I literally spent and hour or an hour and a half Saturday just going at that pig. Kept thinking I'd get it like I got the high line on the triangle if I just kept at it. No such luck...

Pivotal figure
    You talking about that ledge thing after the deep rut, where the rock fell out of the hillside? That one's a total timing move, I approach it in middle ring (my big, 36t) and either 1st or 2nd cog. Gotta time it so you get the front wheel up on the top just as you come down into your power stroke (fave foot forward as you get on top so I make my approach with my weak foot forward). Def a trials type move where power alone won't really get it done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We should start a new thread with nothing but useful tips like this. ^^^

No Clue Crew
    You talking about that ledge thing after the deep rut, where the rock fell out of the hillside? That one's a total timing move, I approach it in middle ring (my big, 36t) and either 1st or 2nd cog. Gotta time it so you get the front wheel up on the top just as you come down into your power stroke (fave foot forward as you get on top so I make my approach with my weak foot forward). Def a trials type move where power alone won't really get it done.
    Nah, that one I'm 50/50 on now. I'm talking about the very first challenge on National...

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

I tried the same gearing for 4 or 5 attempts and got completely different results every time. Tried different gears with completely different results. Can't find any commonality about any of it so I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong. If I'm not in a pretty tall gear I can't get on the ledge but once I'm on it I don't have the stones to get over that secondary wheel catcher. And making the turn around that rock certainly isn't an option. For me.

One day... Maybe...

Pivotal figure
    Ahh! Yeah, that one's a PITA for sure. I actually prefer the line straight up the rock just to the left of where you went but it still manages to stop me pretty regularly. That feature can totally wreck your mindset for the entire ride too so I try not to let it get to me. That secondary rock is the linchpin no matter which line you take though. I approach that in Middle ring and 1st cog but have to be super smooth on the entry rock so I have every bit of momentum to get past that next ledge. That rock was where I gave up on clipless pedals completely BTW. Got stalled out, tried to just rotate the bike with my left foot still clipped in. Rear wheel hit a rock which knocked me off balance to the downhill side and I fell right back down that rock still clipped in. Slammed my right leg so bad I managed to separate muscle tissue in my thigh. That one hurt for months...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I guess that's my next challenge... Going up National instead of going up Mormon.

Si vales, valeo.

Re: Pivot Cycles Demo This Sat at SoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by nomoclips View Post
    I guess that's my next challenge... Going up National instead of going up Mormon.
    I've never tried Mormon, I always just shoot up National (even though I still can't clear everything).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Pivotal figure
    Natty is a great tech challenge, Mormon is more of a cardio exercise. There are some tech spots but they're not as bad as National. The toughest move is at the very top of the second climb (of course!)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Natty is a great tech challenge, Mormon is more of a cardio exercise. There are some tech spots but they're not as bad as National. The toughest move is at the very top of the second climb (of course!)
    Which move are you referring to? Is it the tight left turn/step on the widowmaker climb?

mtbr member
    Which move are you referring to? Is it the tight left turn/step on the widowmaker climb?
    I'm sure that's what he's referring to. For me that move is all about having gas in the tank and keeping traction on the rear wheel right after making the hard left turn.

the most impressive thing about the 429 i demoed was how easy with was to keep traction on goofy climb moves like that.

Si vales, valeo.

Are you referring to the climb just behind where this picture is facing?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm kind of turned around in this pic. What about here:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.36...8&z=19&iwloc=A

Pivotal figure
    Yep! That thing would be a fairly mid-range challenge on it's own but coming at the top of a nice steep climb just makes it that much harder.

No Clue Crew
    Ahh! Yeah, that one's a PITA for sure. I actually prefer the line straight up the rock just to the left of where you went but it still manages to stop me pretty regularly. That feature can totally wreck your mindset for the entire ride too so I try not to let it get to me. That secondary rock is the linchpin no matter which line you take though. I approach that in Middle ring and 1st cog but have to be super smooth on the entry rock so I have every bit of momentum to get past that next ledge.
    Yeah, I was just bummed that day. Expected to make a little progress. Went up it today and just said F it. Then made the next little climb and lost momentum and balance at the chute. Then failed then next two, made the turn and failed everything after that until the switchback before the first rest stop which I made for the first time in months. Used to have no problem but lately I can't do much of anything right. Like I said, I need to stop being optimistic and just ride. With as infrequently as I actually get to ride I'll never be able to clean 50% of it so stop worrying about trying...

Don't let Kenny fool you. He makes even the hardest moves look simple. Mormon is a less technical but there's plenty of spots to get hung up.

I can't think of the spot they are referring to but that climb just before the first "rest stop" is a b|tch. Only made it the entire way once or twice. Certainly a fluke.

I'm kind of turned around in this pic. What about here:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.36...8&z=19&iwloc=A
    Hey! 32nd Street is called DEVASTATOR trail. I like it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nah, that one I'm 50/50 on now. I'm talking about the very first challenge on National...

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

I tried the same gearing for 4 or 5 attempts and got completely different results every time. Tried different gears with completely different results. Can't find any commonality about any of it so I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong. If I'm not in a pretty tall gear I can't get on the ledge but once I'm on it I don't have the stones to get over that secondary wheel catcher. And making the turn around that rock certainly isn't an option. For me.

One day... Maybe...
    I never made this section in my one year of riding national. I never sessioned it though. I did manage to get good enough to make it up most everything else on national, except the water fall of course. I think national might be my all time favorite trail when considering how it rides up and down.

Wish I was still living in Phoenix for the demo day. Sounds like it was fun!

Vitamin Bike Added
    You missed it westeast! I got to ride a buttery mach 6 27.5- super plush but I didn't really test it, ended up just hitting west loop then bombed down the steps to the parking lot.

Ended up riding with a guy named Rob on a blue Niner, who probably has some of the best lines I've ever seen ridden on natty. Made doubles out of features I would usually just roll...including lower waterfall... Gotta love different ways to skin the old natty cat.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    You were in the presence of greatness. Rob is without a doubt the fastest guy on pretty much that entire mountain. And one hell of a nice guy!!

Si vales, valeo.

Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331 View Post
    You were in the presence of greatness. Rob is without a doubt the fastest guy on pretty much that entire mountain. And one hell of a nice guy!!
    Anyone know if he has any video footage uploaded somewhere?

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331 View Post
    Yeah definitely next level as far as skill goes and a great guy. It was unfortunate because we spent some time sitting at the lookout at the saddle talking about how bulletproof his Stan's ztr flows were and that he had been riding them problem free for months, then when we got down and he sessioned the waterfall a couple times, second time down his rear just exploded...and he's a smooth rider! Murphy's law is such a biatch.

Oh and war shade I think he has KoM on the waterfall if that helps you find any of his stats etc...
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wish I could have been there... to ride the mach 6 and with you and rob.