mtbr member

Pima and Dynamite Trails

I would like to ride the Pima and Dynamite trails area. I don't feel comfortable riding this area for the first time alone. Does anyone know of any group rides on Pima and Dynamite ? It would have to be a casual ride since I am not a racer and I am not very fast.

mtbr member
    I don't know of any group rides, but I'd be down to go out there with you. In the winter, I'd be going out there for three hours at a time or more. Nobody ever out there. It's great. Trails 15, 18, and 21 are all awesome.

If you're not familiar with the area, it is really easy to get lost. Lots of unmarked spider and spur trails. There's been a couple of times where I've spent an hour or two out there longer than I wanted to. Definitely want to have a GPS or a map, although the maps only show the main trails. Or, lacking a GPS, always keep the power lines in sight. If you can make it back to Trail 1 or 2(the power lines) you're good. Trail 1 is mostly passable, but Trail 2 is impossible. It's kitty litter sand that will swallow a rim up to the hub.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pima/Dynamite, that's the definition of Arizona cross country in my book, but the terrain can be sucky. There's a lot of kitty litter sand out there that can be a hassle. Especially Trail 11. If you ever get on that, your life sucks. Plus, most of the trails are seldom used, so there's a lot of vegetation by them. I'd be coming back from my rides out there looking like somebody beat me with a tomcat. Arms and legs just covered in scratches. That's kind of cool though. The red badge of courage.

Anyway, I haven't been out there in a few months, but if you want to go out there with somebody that at least remotely knows the area, I'm down.

Pics:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I would like to ride the Pima and Dynamite trails area. I don't feel comfortable riding this area for the first time alone. Does anyone know of any group rides on Pima and Dynamite ? It would have to be a casual ride since I am not a racer and I am not very fast.
    Let's ride tonight 8PM 2 to 3 hours.

livin' the dream......
    I explored this area when I first moved here in 2001 and love it. There were no trail markers then, but I managed to figure out some fun loops out there. It does have a 'backcountry' feel to it that I like and hard to replicate in the more popular riding areas in PHX.

Big kitty tracks, roaming cattle, coming face to face with a bull and having turkey vultures circling over me are just some of my fond memories of riding P&D. I rode out there a few weeks ago at first light, and was by myself in some beautiful desert. Great place to ride, lucky we have it!

mtbr member
    Easy E:
    How about next saturday or sunday. Start time sometime between 530-6am ?

Wow:
    Don't have a light. Maybe I should invest in one ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Friday! Someone come pick me up!

Vitamin Bike Added
    scottsdale mountain bikers ride here almost weekly. Check them out on meetup.com
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Friday! Someone come pick me up!
    DUI?

You're not invited anyway.

I'm down to ride it on Saturday. My bike should be out of the shop by then. If we're going to ride early, I want to be out there really early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    DUI?

I'm down to ride it on Saturday. My bike should be out of the shop by then. If we're going to ride early, I want to be out there really early.
    Sorry the wife is saying no to Saturday. How about Sunday 5:30AM ? If not we can always do it next weekend.

Sorry about that. I spoke too soon. She just made plans with me as soon as I posted this message.

mtbr member
    The weekend of the 25th, I'm more likely than not going to be in Flagstaff. A bunch of us on here are doing the Old Fashioned Race up there.

What time do you get out of work? Honestly, although it's the hottest part of the day, I'm more comfortable going out at 5:30-6 at night. It's hotter, but once the sun gets low and everything is shaded, it's fine. Even at 6, you've still got two quality hours of light left.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great place to ride!

mtbr member
    The weekend of the 25th, I'm more likely than not going to be in Flagstaff. A bunch of us on here are doing the Old Fashioned Race up there.

What time do you get out of work? Honestly, although it's the hottest part of the day, I'm more comfortable going out at 5:30-6 at night. It's hotter, but once the sun gets low and everything is shaded, it's fine. Even at 6, you've still got two quality hours of light left.
    Its just too hot for me even at 6PM... lets wait for another weekend or till it cools off and then I would be willing to do a dusk ride... no rush...

Registered Bike Offender
    Best place to ride in Phoenix area in my opinion IF you know where you are going. If you don't know where you are going, like Easy E said you will get stuck in never ending sand and could end up spending an hour or two more out there than you had planned. The trails are fast, smooth, and flowing...and there are some really cool obstacles to go over. the natural scenery is great too, and not a lot of other people out there. It is higher up in elevation so you get a little temperature break compared to the rest of Phoenix.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Go Speed Racer

AZ Mountain Biking

Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    scottsdale mountain bikers ride here almost weekly. Check them out on meetup.com
    Also, the Arizona Mountain bike group meets out there every Friday (and other times). I have ridden with them a few times, great people to ride with...

It's Back! Friday Night P&D! - AZ Mountain Biking (Phoenix, AZ) - Meetup

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    Best place to ride in Phoenix area in my opinion IF you know where you are going. If you don't know where you are going, like Easy E said you will get stuck in never ending sand and could end up spending an hour or two more out there than you had planned. The trails are fast, smooth, and flowing...and there are some really cool obstacles to go over. the natural scenery is great too, and not a lot of other people out there. It is higher up in elevation so you get a little temperature break compared to the rest of Phoenix.
    +1. While its certainly no National P&D has some awesome lines, great views and probably the coolest temp riding in the Valley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    DUI?

No lol, one car, its a small one. Cant get the bike in without dismantling most of it and having half of it still hang out the back. Bike rack stolen off the back after leaving it on overnight, bought a diff one and didnt like it (cheap walmart brand) and just havent needed to replace it since i ride mostly in my backyard (aka McDowells)

mtbr member
    I go there alone all the time. It's hard to get lost there as the powerlines converge on the trailhead. There is enough bikers/motobikers on the weekends where you don't feel do alone. You can always bail on the main jeep access road if you need to... I had to do that once with a sudden thunderstorm. Worst case scenario if you needed evac most of the place is easily accessible by the access roads by the emergency services. I also use a tracking app on my iphone so my wife can check my exact position on a map. So... no problemo doing it solo.