Give it a crank

Pima & Dynamite new trails map

Forget the old P&D moto-made trails, those are history. The new preserve trail system map is out there along with names on the trail markers. I haven't seen it myself but here's what I got from somebody's ride today.

Large version (2418k)

mtbr member
    Cool, looking forward to exploring it this fall. At least they didn't mess with the old trails in the south - West Express 14 !

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    And best of all there is water at browns ranch trailhead now for those looking to connect the mcdowells with browns ranch for a nice mega loop.

mtbr member
    That looks interesting. Any suggested routes for somebody that hasn't been out there before?

Give it a crank
    Everybody wants to know how much of the old trails are left. So did I, and I made an overlay of the photo above with the trails enhanced, onto Dale's trail map of the area.

Large version (2622k)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AzFlapjack View Post
    That looks interesting. Any suggested routes for somebody that hasn't been out there before?
    Park at 136th and lone mtn at the Granite Mtn Trailhead and do the granite mtn trail loop. You won't be dissapointed and if you have the legs include Cholla mtn loop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    And best of all there is water at browns ranch trailhead now for those looking to connect the mcdowells with browns ranch for a nice mega loop.
    How do you connect P&D and McD, with minimum street riding?

Just another half mile...
    Most of the trails to the north and west are still there and there are few connectors along the new northern trails that will get you back to the older moto trails. New project this summer will be to integrate the new trails with my older map. Lots of Crack of Dawn rides this summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    From the Toms Thumb TH take 128th to jomax to 132 and then cut thru the entrance on dynamite. Then take the old jeep trail to the right and follow it up until you see the entrance for Whiskey Bottle Trail to the left, which runs along the northern side of Fraesfield mountain.

mtbr member
    How are the newly cut trails breaking in? Are they getting closer to awesome?
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    How are the newly cut trails breaking in? Are they getting closer to awesome?
    Still needs a good soaking to make it all super tacky and fast. Some of the trails i rode this morning must have been cut within the last 2 weeks and were still very choppy.

livin' the dream......
    Have not been out there since February, looking forward to checking the new stuff out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Granite Mountain / Cholla Mountain Loops seemed firm. If someone hadn't told me they were new, I'd probably have no idea. Don't know about anything outside of those specific trails.

They also now have a large parking area at the Granite Mountain TH. However, the last time I was there, they were doing some road work on 136th St. and had to take 160th (?) St. as a detour. The detour was signed well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mo Better Trails

Mo better trails... it's all good ... Use to ride out there in the 90's (Cactus Cup days) then things seem to get to sandy on many of my favs so I kinda spent time PMP and McDowells etc but now I'll have an excuse to go explore.... like the idea of an epic loop.... wish they would develop more trails on east side of McDowells ..... anybody have any info on that??? I know that the previous managers or planners were into preserving as is but I heard there was someone new in town with a more progressive land use plan??? As I ride the Lost Dog, Quartz, Paradise, etc out and back I always imagine a trail up on the side of the McDowells...runnin' kinda north and south... choice .... that's what makes PMP so good .... feelin' good do that extra climb and tech section ... tired ..... bale out.... just a thought

parenting for gnarness
    there are ways to connect the McDs with P&D, via the Desert Park trail and some unnamed stuff, with some cutthrough around the Pinnacle Peak neighborhoods. I have a gpx from Raybum but havent looked at it lately.

Happy Trails

Pima & Dynamite new trails map

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Follow your nose, and you'll be fine but hint: 128th Street.

This is good stuff. Flow and roll primo single track.

We are lucky to live here.

Give it a crank
    Hey, look at what's available online... the above trails map pdf file:

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/N...eserve+Map.pdf