slower than you

Pictures of Little Bear Flood Damage

on Coconino Nat. Forest's Flickr Flickr: Coconino National Forest's Photostream

Along with this message via FB.org:

From an email from Sean Murphy with the Flagstaff District of the Coconino National Forest:

"Some bad trail news…Little Bear and Little Elden will be closed at least for this season. Three rain events in 8 days dropping an enormous amount of rain each time was just too much.
    Pictures are available at Flickr: Coconino National Forest's Photostream .

The debris is unstable and there are numerous drop-offs. One of our trail crew, checking the upper reaches of Little Bear, reported a 100lb rock rolling across the trail about 40’ in front of him.

All but one of the lower drainage structures appear to be intact though it’s hard to tell with certainty since several are buried. I think Little Bear can be fixed again but it’s going to take much longer than a couple of days with my crew! I’m recommending that Little Elden be re-routed.

For the Equestrian Bypass I suggest the ATA put a temporary re-route on the website of: From the highway 89 side take Sandy Seep Trail to Christmas Tree Trail, south on Christmas Tree until you meet Fatman’s Loop, continue south on Fatman’s Loop to Elden Lookout Trail, up (right) Elden Lookout to Pipeline Trail junction, south (left) on Pipeline and then follow pipeline west around the southern base of Mount Elden to Lower Oldham/AZNST.

Testament to great work done by ACE and CREC! After the first event, my crew spent two days cleaning up the trail and all structures were in place and functioning. After being hammered 3 times, the structures are still there though many tons of rock and debris flowed through them. Thanks guys!"

We at FBO will do everything that we can to help get these iconic local trails reopened as soon as possible. Stay tuned, we will need your help!
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Little Elden was so much fun going down.
    I am glad I got as much Flagg riding as I could this season.

mtbr member
    Sucks but very impressive from a geomorphic perspective. Nothing can stop a debris flow.
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.

Ahhh the pain....
    Yeah, little elden was an absolute hoot.
    Bummed about little bear...I was only 10 seconds away from the KOM on the climb! doh!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Bummed about little bear...I was only 10 seconds away from the KOM on the climb! doh!
    you need to sell your services as a ReverseShuttle driver.

Pivotal figure
    Damn! I can't ever remember trails getting closed from rain damage. Of course the fire was the main culprit but still....Water is no joke.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    You do know you were going the wrong way right?
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Meh, and easy climb. At least it's technical now Send in traildoc and overnight there'd be all sorts of rocks fitted together like a puzzle creating a trail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    aren't you always seconds away from the KOM

My other ride is your mom
    I'm impressed by the scale of inverse grading in these things on eldon....last time I saw something like this was when the mega floods hit Sabino Canyon a few years back....also, sadly, a secondary result of a forest fire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is there a way to keep close to this issue and possibly get an organized crew up from the desert and connect up with local Flag trail builders to help rebuild the trails? Is this something that GroAZ would participate in? I'd be willing to help out any way I can...
    2012 Yeti 575
    Soma 26" SS
    Custom Felt Cruzer
    And 6 "others"

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by _azmtbr_ View Post
    Is there a way to keep close to this issue and possibly get an organized crew up from the desert and connect up with local Flag trail builders to help rebuild the trails? Is this something that GroAZ would participate in? I'd be willing to help out any way I can...
    i think flagstaffbiking.org will have a plan in place to contribute a few days to little bear resto work on its trail-workday calendar next year

Give it a crank
    That's an awful sight compared to a few weeks ago, thanks for sharing the links.

From today's weather images, it unfortunately looks like more of the same up there.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    That's an awful sight compared to a few weeks ago, thanks for sharing the links.

From today's weather images, it unfortunately looks like more of the same up there.
    i will respectfully disagree.

we should never ever begrudge the rain for raining, nor should we forget how dry and scary june and its moondust (a few weeks ago) always is.

what is unfortunate is that, for want of an unnecessary campfire, someone lit 15 THOUSAND ACRES of the forest on fire and that we locals will, for a generation, have to deal with the fall-out of their monumental lameness.

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    i will respectfully disagree.

we should never ever begrudge the rain for raining, nor should we forget how dry and scary june and its moondust (a few weeks ago) always is.

what is unfortunate is that, for want of an unnecessary campfire, someone lit 15 THOUSAND ACRES of the forest on fire and that we locals will, for a generation, have to deal with the fall-out of their monumental lameness.

Amen, brother.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    no ****. going down lil elden to climb lil bear just does not compute. different strokes or something I suppose. world class uphills and all that.

anyhow... sucks. def my fav xc trail near flag. gotta love the city's backhoe in the background of a couple of those flickr pics on the waterline rs, buried in a rock slide. oops!