Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    I need to ride more.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150

    Pics from my MTB trip to the Grand Tetons in Wyoming

    Quite a bit different than the trails I ride on South Mountain!

    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,041
    Nice. I heard a rumor that they are planing to close all the roads in the Grand tetons NP to motorized traffic. the thinking is that people just blast through on their way to yellow stone.

    that would make ffor some very nice biking opportunities.
    b

  3. #3
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by FastrThnU
    Quite a bit different than the trails I ride on South Mountain!

    Richard
    Nice pics Richard. When exactly did this trip take place? I'm thinking there must be white stuff on the ground right now, instead of flowers.

  4. #4
    I need to ride more.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    Yeah, it was from summer 2004...I was just going through my old pics and saw them. Realized I hadn't shared them with anyone. I was up there in Dec of 2006 and there was about 3-4 feet of snow in that area.

    Richard

  5. #5
    I need to ride more.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Nice. I heard a rumor that they are planing to close all the roads in the Grand tetons NP to motorized traffic. the thinking is that people just blast through on their way to yellow stone.

    that would make ffor some very nice biking opportunities.
    Hmm..that would make it pretty hard to use the 500+ improved camping spots in the tetons though. I wonder if they would make exceptions to people that are camping in the park.

    Richard

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by FastrThnU
    Hmm..that would make it pretty hard to use the 500+ improved camping spots in the tetons though. I wonder if they would make exceptions to people that are camping in the park.

    Richard
    maybe they just close one end so people can't drive through.
    b

  7. #7
    It rains here. :(
    Reputation: Umbrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,313
    I've been to Jackson Hole in February, it didn't look like that...

  8. #8
    Dirty Monkey
    Reputation: dirtluvraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Nice. I heard a rumor that they are planing to close all the roads in the Grand tetons NP to motorized traffic. the thinking is that people just blast through on their way to yellow stone.

    that would make ffor some very nice biking opportunities.
    Nope. Pure rumor. I'm from Wyoming, got friends that work for both the N.P.S. and also Teton County Sheriff. The road south is a direct link to the town of Jackson, from the major part of the state coming over Togwotee Pass, and it passes through the Park. Also, the road north to Yellowstone is the second busiest entrance to Y.N.P. Grand Teton N.P. can only be accessed from the east, north, or south, no west entrance for obvious reasons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]

  9. #9
    I need to ride more.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    Nope. Pure rumor. I'm from Wyoming, got friends that work for both the N.P.S. and also Teton County Sheriff. The road south is a direct link to the town of Jackson, from the major part of the state coming over Togwotee Pass, and it passes through the Park. Also, the road north to Yellowstone is the second busiest entrance to Y.N.P. Grand Teton N.P. can only be accessed from the east, north, or south, no west entrance for obvious reasons.
    mmm..skillet glacier on mount Moran, one of my favorite views. Thanks for the reassurance...would hate to think they might close it down.

    fastrhtnu

  10. #10
    Lets have some Kool-aid!
    Reputation: kcreative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    115
    I'm heading up to the Tetons in July. Going to be flying into Jackson Hole and camping for 3 days and then heading up to Yellowstone and camping there about 3 days. Going to rent a mtn bike, but the trails are limited. I'm still doing some research, but I'm sure the riding will be good no matter what.

    Kurt

  11. #11
    Dirty Monkey
    Reputation: dirtluvraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by kcreative
    I'm heading up to the Tetons in July. Going to be flying into Jackson Hole and camping for 3 days and then heading up to Yellowstone and camping there about 3 days. Going to rent a mtn bike, but the trails are limited. I'm still doing some research, but I'm sure the riding will be good no matter what.

    Kurt
    Inside Yellowstone you won't find really anything to ride besides road, and very scary 2-lane road at that. 1 dirt road up by Mammoth that is 18 miles long, the Blacktail Plateau drive, all one way. G.T.N.P. doesn't have much more, but while in the town of Jackson, go into a local bike shop carrying a six-pack (real beer, like Moose Drool or Snake River Pale Ale, not usual yellow horse-pee), and ask about a shuttle and the trail from the top of Teton Pass. 22 miles downhill of pure fun.
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]

  12. #12
    Large wheels & one gear
    Reputation: Konapdlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    711
    [quote=dirtluvraz] go into a local bike shop carrying a six-pack (real beer, like Moose Drool or Snake River Pale Ale, not usual yellow horse-pee)quote]

    Mmmm....Moose Drool.......Ahhhhgggg......(Homer Simpson style)

    Those pics are nice. I would love to get back to some green-side trails. Reminds me when I first started Mt biking back in 1993. Young lad I was. Full of piss and vinager. Old styrafoam Bell helmet with white and black mesh netting over it. Those were the days. Clipins? We didn't have clipins (or I didn't). We rode those trails up in Utah uphill both ways! Still have 5 puncture mark scars on my right leg from slipping off my pedal and meeting my big ring for the first time.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

    [SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

  13. #13
    I need to ride more.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    Inside Yellowstone you won't find really anything to ride besides road, and very scary 2-lane road at that. 1 dirt road up by Mammoth that is 18 miles long, the Blacktail Plateau drive, all one way. G.T.N.P. doesn't have much more, but while in the town of Jackson, go into a local bike shop carrying a six-pack (real beer, like Moose Drool or Snake River Pale Ale, not usual yellow horse-pee), and ask about a shuttle and the trail from the top of Teton Pass. 22 miles downhill of pure fun.
    That trail I was on was actually not in the park, it was just outside the border on National Forest land. It's a fast downhill trail, kind of short, but not rocky like here. It would be a fun shuttle ride. I can't recall the name of the trail, but I did get a map at a LBS in Jackson, and it had a ton of trails listed in the area.

    Richard

  14. #14
    Lets have some Kool-aid!
    Reputation: kcreative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    115
    Did you know that you can finally buy Moose Drool now at AJ's (Arizona) I think they also carry it at Sunflower

  15. #15
    Dirty Monkey
    Reputation: dirtluvraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by kcreative
    Did you know that you can finally buy Moose Drool now at AJ's (Arizona) I think they also carry it at Sunflower
    Yup, and it is $7.99/6 at Sundevil, and if you buy a case, 10% discount!!!
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]

  16. #16
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,916
    Man, I need to check out parts of Wyoming other than the eastern flats. This looks much better....

    http://www.webcambiglook.com/grandtetons.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •