I am Doctor Remulak

Picketpost Mountain/Whitford Canyon

I had the chance last Sunday to do a pretty cool new ride out by Superior. For a good article about the trail/ride check out this article in Sweat Magazine. I don't have the actual ride stats (nobody had a bike computer or GPS), but it was a long day on the bike and very scenic. The forest road climb to the top of the mountain was pretty wretched, and if not for a kind stranger with water, we woud have been dry long before returning to the trailhead. I had 2 bladders in my pack and emptied both of them pretty easily. Here's some pics from the ride.

Going into Whitford Canyon on the new singletrack

A large saguaro along the way

About 1/3rd of the way up the fireroad

A view from the top before heading down the switchbacks on the Reavis Canyon trial

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AZ Mikey; 03-25-2004 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    I see somebody did it on a SS. It is SS-able, and how did you (he) feel afterwards? I heard this a pretty long climb.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I see somebody did it on a SS. It is SS-able, and how did you (he) feel afterwards? I heard this a pretty long climb.
    I felt like hell during the climb up the road (FR650) and I was running 34x20. The rest of the ride is pretty SS friendly and full of scenery. Another guy on the ride rode his fixie SS. I'd go back and ride from the Picketpost trailhead over to Whitford Canyon and through lower Reavis Canyon, I lost count of the number of stream crossings that we made through that area.

caninus xerophilous

There is good riding south of US 60 as well.

Nice shots, I haven't ridden Reavis yet but I have been thinking about it for a while. I never made it north of US 60 because the riding on the southside is so fun, wild and promising. I guess good riding on both sides makes Superior a good riding location.

The backside of Picket Post Butte, Arnette Creek and Alamo, Telegraph, Wood, and Walnut Canyons offer an eclectic mix of singletrack, jeep road, and free riding for the "adventure minded" cyclist.

Louis

I am Doctor Remulak
    Hey Louis

Good to see that you made it back home safely. I think you'd like Reavis Canyon, I lost count of the switchbacks on the way down that trail. There's also some fun stream crossings and semi-techy bits to be had.

I've heard that the riding south of 60 is pretty good also, I might have to check it out before the blowtorch temps hit. It sounds like you've been out there before, any recommeded routes?

caninus xerophilous

Still in the Wild Wild West of MTB'ing there.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Good to see that you made it back home safely.
    Thanks Mike. Its still a bit wierd being home and its been a just over two months.

QUOTE=AZ Mikey] It sounds like you've been out there before, any recommeded routes?[/QUOTE]

Yes Pisgah John and I ply the area in search of trails.

A good starter would be Telegraph Canyon (not too steep and kind techie jeep road) to where it joins the AZ Trail and take it down Alamo Canyon (roughish rocky) out to the AZ Trail head near the road below Pickett Post. This will be a circumnavigation of Pickett Post, on the east side of Pickett Post check out the freeridish terrain on the shelves. You can also loop the Butte by exploring Arnette Creek.

For a good variety I would also recommend doing an out and back exploration of Wood Canyon. There are two sections of what I believe are preliminary sections of the AZ Trail that are nice singletrack along two seperate creeks, each very different. There are some nice freeride sections there as well.

All the area needs is a kick butt Mexican Resteraunt in Superior and it will be a grand destination.

I posted some of Pisgah John's pics of Wood Canyon in the AZ Trails! thread.

Louis

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Riding in Arizona

Hey, I'm from Wisconsin and I haven't gotten to ride in AZ yet but I was out there in February for a rock climbing trip. I was wondering, anyone rode that old road up to Queen Creek from Superior? Looks like it might be a fun way to get up into the canyon. Plus, is the old tunnel still open? We camped up in Queen Creek canyon, on the ridge above the Oak Flats campground and I was really wishing I had a bike with. It seems like it would be a biking playground up there...anyone ever ride up there?

I lean like a cholo!

Great ride!

I thought that scenery looked familiar, then I looked at the article and saw this picture. Then I said hey thats me in the back! Anyways, I haven't ridden the trail since the picture was taken, but I think I may have to soon. The ride had me wishing for two things my cross country bike and slime. I had more flats on that trail then I have ever had in my life !
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Con-fecal
    I thought that scenery looked familiar, then I looked at the article and saw this picture. Then I said hey thats me in the back! Anyways, I haven't ridden the trail since the picture was taken, but I think I may have to soon. The ride had me wishing for two things my cross country bike and slime. I had more flats on that trail then I have ever had in my life !
    That's cool Evil. You should go back before it gets too damn hot to enjoy the ride. Believe it or not, we only had 3 flats between 6 people on the entire ride. We also saw a couple rattlesnakes during the ride.

pedaller

Rode out there yesterday!

What a great ride. Kevin ran over a rattler that was sunning and it let him know it didn't appreciate it. Thankfully it wasn't awake enough to bite him but that distinctive rattle got me to stop in my tracks. The temps were absolutely perfect. We rode to the Reavis Canyon Trailhead & back (a little over 21 miles). Here's a few fotos...

(1) Kevin rides thru the Ocotillo Forest
    (2) Michael climbs one of the many switchbacks
    (3) A view of a blooming Ocotillo and the landscape
    (4) Kevin & Michael enjoy a snack at one of the many water crossings
    Last edited by Noelg; 03-28-2004 at 01:40 PM.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    I didn't realize this was being ridden this long ago. cool

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We rode Sec 18 last Wed; didn't see anyone else on the trail, but lots of jeeps/quads on the roads; we used 172 to access the top; there's no easy way.
    All in all, the last 5 miles North of 60 are the most scenic and most fun; in the creekbeds/canyons/bush trails. Az Trail is so super. Next going to do Sec 17 from S to N.
    TS