Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr dismember

Picketpost-Kelvin, Dec. 28 - new date

Moved to the 28th. Who is coming? You must be able to haul at least twice the number of people and bikes you bring. If someone has a truck or other vehicle that can haul more than two bikes and people please let us know. We will meet near the Kelvin trailhead at 7:30 am. Click on the blue dot and click on "directions". Due to the short day-length you must be on time. I have a maroon colored Honda Element and I usually arrive pretty early.

Any questions about the ride? The trail is pretty straightforward, but I got a bit confused on some of the dirt road/sand washes. You can download the GPS track below. As the date approaches I'd like to exchange phone numbers with someone who is 100% sure they are coming. Unless there is a torrential storm I will ride.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 12-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    I think I'm 95% in for this one!

mtbr dismember

I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I think I'm 95% in for this one!
    I hope so.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    WW, sorry, but I can't make it on Sat. The SO is feeling a bit neglected after these past couple of weekends so I need to keep it closer to home. Hopefully Turo can still make it, he's a cool dude!

Keep posting up your rides, hopefully I can make one of them.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember
    Also need rides the 24th and 27th. Is it worth doing an out and back south on AZT from Kelvin?

mtbr member
    that would be a Double Ripsey and Boulders day? I'd say it's worth it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    That climb up Ripsey from the Kelvin side is no joke, bring your HAB shoes. Personally, I like the loop for Ripsey. Still some quality HAB but it's not as sustained IMO.

WW: Did I send you a GPX for Ripsey?? If not, PM your email to me & I'll shoot it over tonight.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember

This one?

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    WW: Did I send you a GPX for Ripsey?? If not, PM your email to me & I'll shoot it over tonight.
    This one? Looks like a lot of fire road riding?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    This one? Looks like a lot of fire road riding?
    No, don't do that one!! You may be cussing me out on some of those sections.

This is the more 'standard' Ripsey loop, but I have a slight modification on this one to skip a 1/2 mile thorny bushwack that I can send you.

If you want more, do the same loop, but when you come to the AZT after Ripsey Ranch go right (south) on the AZT down to Freeman Rd & back. That's the Boulders segment which is fast, flowy & fun. Here's that track, but starting & ending @Freeman Rd. Don't worry about our time on this one, we were testing out our bikepacking setups for the first time, then my buddy forgot his lights for the last 4 miles, so it was very slow going.

Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    that would be a Double Ripsey and Boulders day? I'd say it's worth it.
    I've done ^ one... it's a TOUGH day of riding. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Kelvin to Freeman and Back...all AZT = Ripsey x2 near Kearny | Times and Records | Strava
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Ahhh the pain....
    WW, if you're one of those "singletrack snobs" (lol), an out and back south of Kelvin on the AZT would be very worthwhile. You'll see on my strava link that you climb then do a descent. The bottom of that descent is ripsey wash. You could turn around at that point or climb out of the wash via the trail up to the green gate then turn around.
    However, most of us endurance nuts appreciate a little fire road here and there since it's still great time on the bike and provides great views.
    You could also take the AZT north from Picket Post or do the first part of 8 Picketpost Punisher | Arizona Endurance Series which is a loop that has a fire road climb to the top of Montana Mtn then a nice singletrack descent.
    Hard to go wrong out there.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

mtbr dismember

Come on folks

Come on folks, great ride and it has to be done as a shuttle. Plenty of time to do other rides.

Ahhh the pain....
    Steve W, you asked for "other ride" suggestions. That's what was being offered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This is a great ride, I wish I could join you but I'm leaving town that day. I'm currently editing the video from the last time I rode there this past spring.

mtbr dismember
    Sent you a PM.

mtbr dismember

Not this trip

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    ...WW, if you're one of those "singletrack snobs" (lol)...
    I don't mind an occasional fire road if it takes me somewhere worthwhile. But I'm not driving for 24 hours and spending hundreds of dollars to ride a fire road down there

mtbr dismember

You schedule one?

WW, sorry, but I can't make it on Sat....Keep posting up your rides, hopefully I can make one of them.
    With the short daylight this time of year I hesitate to do a new unfamiliar ride into the wilds solo. My main bike is in the shop and a few days ago the free hub went out on my backup bike while I was 5 miles out. That is a reminder that breakdowns do occur.

Given the promising great weather predicted for Sedona I may ride there the 24th. I've never ridden there when it was not really hot. I've never tried three rides on a road trip. But if the knees aren't too bad I'll do what I am familiar with, BCT, on the 27th. An out and back is best when I don't know how much I can ride.

I'm off work for 8 months so I can ride down there as long as I get a bit of notice. How about you schedule one for a Saturday in the next few weeks? But don't be fooled by my mileages. I'm still pretty slow.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I post up rides all the time, so I'm sure we'll find one to do over the next few months!! There are a few upcoming 'events' you may want to look into. AZT Jamboree on Jan. 11th is a great ride down on the AZT SE of Tucson. If you like the Picketpost to Kelvin route, I'd find it hard to believe that you wouldn't enjoy the AES routes, sure, technically they are races, but that never stopped me from snapping a ton of pics & finishing DFL. Antelope Peak Challenge hits some remote, beautiful AZT. The Tor de 50 covers the Tortolita Mtns & 50yr Trail area. Then there's the Sedona BFL, Prescott MX & Flagstaff Asyphx rides that are all awesome.

Are you only interested in long single day rides? If you also dabble in bikepacking, I have a 3-4 day loop near the east valley/Picketpost area that I'm looking to do probably sometime in March.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember
    ...technically they are races, but that never stopped me from snapping a ton of pics & finishing DFL.... I have a 3-4 day loop near the east valley/Picketpost area that I'm looking to do probably sometime in March.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable in a race. But perhaps I could use the same route later on. I have terrible knee pain and require a couple days off between rides, with taking it easy, and lots of ice. So multiday trips are out. I am mostly restricted to two rides per week. I've never done consecutive rides and I have rarely ever done three rides in one week.

mtbr member
    Pretty good chance of rain on the 21st.

Hey John,

Can you send me those gpx files for Ripsey etc. I may be spending some time there this winter.

mtbr dismember

Let's try for the 28th?

There does not appear to be any interest in this ride for the 21st. And it is the whole reason I'm coming down. Also, my main bike has had major work, including a new fork, and even if it is finished tomorrow as promised, I would not take it on this ride without a shakedown ride. So let's try the 28th?

mtbr member
    Hey WW, the 28th may work better for me actually. I'll have to confirm but pencil me in as tentative.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Hey guys, interested in taking a BC snowbird along? I'm down for the winter and would love to give this a go. I also have a truck with seating/bike hauling ability for 5 (six is also doable, but tight).

Just a question on the pace, are we talking XC hammerfest, or just a steady grind? The time in the first post appears reasonable to me. That pace or perhaps a bit faster would likely suit me fine.

mtbr member
    Wow I'm completely absent minded today. I can't make it on the 28th as I'm having my son's birthday party on that day. If you could do the 29th that would be awesome but if not, I understand.

mtbr dismember

Too late

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    Hey guys, interested in taking a BC snowbird along?
    Too late for the 21st. I face 24 hours of driving and I have to spend several hundred dollars on such a trip. Since nobody would commit I'm moving it to the 28th. And I won't do that unless somebody makes a firm commitment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast