Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511

    Pick a fork for CactusJoe's Nomad

    Okay, so after trimming the weight on the Nomad for the last 3 years, I got it down to 33lbs. Fantastic. It's a great ride, but I think it's time for the Happy Italian (get it? Nomad?) to get a makeover.

    It will spend most of it's time on upper/north SoMo, GC, Pass Mtn, Flag, etc. The 29er is getting more and more time on the Javelina/Hawes/DC/T100 stuff, so my thinking is to dump the air shock and fork and replace with coils, and generally beef it up.

    It's gonna get a DHX 5 coil soon (hopefully) but I have no idea what to put up front. It currently has a Fox 36 RC2 (2005 version, 150mm. Rebuilt more than once.)

    Marz 66? 55?

    Lyric? Totem?

    Fox 36 Vanilla?

    What are all the cool kids running these days? I'm so 2005.

    -JB
    Last edited by CactusJoe; 11-30-2008 at 10:08 PM.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    202
    Totem, hands down.

    I replaced the e150 on my pitch with a totem 2-step air. Its plush like a coil, stiff like a double crown.

    Plus, the 40mm stanchions will make you look like a true man.

  3. #3
    Just Joshin' ya!
    Reputation: PrincipalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,914
    66 ATA, not a coil, but sure feels like one and still has low weight. It also seems more reliable than that 55 crap.



    My friend has one on his pea green (what an ugly color) Nomad and loves it.

    I like the totem as well. Anytime you can wind down the travel will help for the climbs.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kortface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    328
    .


    The Totem is one bltch'in fork, Thats what I'd get.


    .

  5. #5
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,365
    Van handsdown IMO. I love my talasrc2 and I ride DH/FR

  6. #6
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,137
    Basically all of them are good with the exception of the 55's. Marz. seems to have missed the boat with those...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theFuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    444
    I have an 09 55 ATA and love it after the first few months. For 09 they make a dumbed down version with TST2 and not the TST Micro and it has been great.

  8. #8
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,752
    I'd say Lyric or Van. . .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    i'd go for the lyrik if you like the bike's current geo. if you want to slacken it a bit, the totem.
    with the lyrik you shouldn't have to worry about lowering the fork for climbing, plus rockshox are stupid easy to service and the maxle rules.

    bonus: i know you like some PUSH and the lyrik is supposedly on the list of forks they will be tuning in the future. not sure about the 36 series or the 'zocchi's.

  10. #10
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    Rigid.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    514
    I sent my '05 36 talas (hated it) to Fox with a check for 223.80. It came back a shiny 36 vanilla (love it) with lots if new parts including lowers and most of the innards.

  12. #12
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,365
    05 talas is crap IMO

  13. #13
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Rigid.
    If only...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  14. #14
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    I've thought about a 180mm fork...mixed thoughts though. I like the idea of being a superhero, but it would have to be adjustable for the climbs. 150 is tall enough to deal with.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  15. #15
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Rigid.
    Jeez, you trying to kill the poor guy?

    At least give him a flex-stem.

    p.

  16. #16
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Jeez, you trying to kill the poor guy?

    At least give him a flex-stem.

    p.
    I do what I can.

  17. #17
    i like cheese.
    Reputation: bike=good's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    547
    I am seeing these guys riding up the hill on their Highlines, quit being a pansy and go balls out. Totem.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    659
    Boxxer Ride, 133 to 178 mm of adjustable travel via U-Turn. Not light, not high-tech, mission-control is "just ok" but you get the stiffness of dual-crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Fly High!
    Reputation: RidingRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,104
    I can obviously tell you what not to get!! any 2008 marzocchi!!! = crap!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by General Havoc
    Boxxer Ride, 133 to 178 mm of adjustable travel via U-Turn. Not light, not high-tech, mission-control is "just ok" but you get the stiffness of dual-crown.
    I had one of these for a short time.
    U-Turn is great, but it didn't feel very good.

    Honestly, there isn't a whole lot out there in terms of a reliable adjustable travel fork. I used to have a 36 TALAS, I liked that fork a lot. Seemed to handle everything well.

    The Marzocchi ATA stuff is not worth it until they fix the bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  21. #21
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Santa Cruz has a steal on Domains right now, both 160mm and 180mm for less than $190 each.

    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...hp?cPath=25_78

  22. #22
    Lolligagger
    Reputation: Wadsworth McStackton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    113
    Fox 36 Van. I'm running a 36 TALAS on mine and I love it. I can do anything on that bike. Good luck
    --------------
    "I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice." ~ Dalton

  23. #23
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,308
    Slap this *****in-ass bad boy on your rig and experience the finer things in life:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NOS-ROCK-SHO...QQcmdZViewItem


    Sexy yellow paint job w/dreamy boot covers -- check
    63mm travel -- check
    Whippy 25mm stanchions -- check
    Rim brake only -- check

    Ride this fork and you can ride anything.

    You might be oh-so 2005, but this is oh-so 1997, which is where the cool kids live these days.


    Thx...Doug

  24. #24
    lurker extraordinaire
    Reputation: AZDesertRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    270
    I recently replaced my Van R 36 with a Lyrik U-Turn and I've been real happy. 115-160mm adjustable travel, and you can adjust it in something like 7.5mm increments.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adamrobinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    62

    Marzocchi for plushness

    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    66 ATA, not a coil, but sure feels like one and still has low weight. It also seems more reliable than that 55 crap.
    I'm totally loving my 66ata. It is super adjustable (though not easily done) and it climbs as well as my 06 talas 36 ever did at 140. Then in Flag or on steeps, toss it out to 180 and throw down. It is truly a nice fork. (Knock on wood but hey, three year warranty.)
    I ride mostly AM stuff and keep it @140 until the top of something that deserves my attention. Then I can rake it out and giver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  26. #26
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Slap this *****in-ass bad boy on your rig and experience the finer things in life:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NOS-ROCK-SHO...QQcmdZViewItem


    Sexy yellow paint job w/dreamy boot covers -- check
    63mm travel -- check
    Whippy 25mm stanchions -- check
    Rim brake only -- check

    Ride this fork and you can ride anything.

    You might be oh-so 2005, but this is oh-so 1997, which is where the cool kids live these days.


    Thx...Doug
    That is so cool I just wet myself.

    You forgot to mention...that fork will get you laid. It's right up there with Magnum's Ferrari 308...which is so 1982...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  27. #27
    i like cheese.
    Reputation: bike=good's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    That is so cool I just wet myself.

    You forgot to mention...that fork will get you laid. It's right up there with Magnum's Ferrari 308...which is so 1982...

    I bet that fork would go awesome with a Magnum mustache.

  28. #28
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    879
    Unfortunately there is no perfect answer or perfect fork. With that said, here's my nickle.

    One good option would be to look for an 07 Marzocchi 66SL. I know there are people who had issues with theirs, but mine was great for the 2 years I abused it. It did have the notorious wind-down problem, but I was able to fix it by retrofitting two little springs that activated the detents. I should still have the bag of springs and would happy to give you a couple if you go this route.

    Another option would be the 08/09 Marzocchi 66 ATA (basically the update on the 66SL). I've heard from people that love 'em and people with problems. One typical problem seems to be an air leak between the positive and negative chambers. They do have the RC3 damper, which is pretty damn nice though. There is a dude I see all the time on Somo (and I should know his name) who sports a polished Nomad with a 66 ATA. He has the leaking problem, but loves it otherwise.

    I don't think you would like a Totem on your Nomad as, at 180mm full time, it would make it a little challenging to pedal. I have a Totem coil on my Highline and I really like it and I pedal it, but I'm not sure you would. Maybe you would be OK with it, hard sayin' not knowin'.

  29. #29
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    Unfortunately there is no perfect answer or perfect fork. With that said, here's my nickle.

    One good option would be to look for an 07 Marzocchi 66SL. I know there are people who had issues with theirs, but mine was great for the 2 years I abused it. It did have the notorious wind-down problem, but I was able to fix it by retrofitting two little springs that activated the detents. I should still have the bag of springs and would happy to give you a couple if you go this route.

    Another option would be the 08/09 Marzocchi 66 ATA (basically the update on the 66SL). I've heard from people that love 'em and people with problems. One typical problem seems to be an air leak between the positive and negative chambers. They do have the RC3 damper, which is pretty damn nice though. There is a dude I see all the time on Somo (and I should know his name) who sports a polished Nomad with a 66 ATA. He has the leaking problem, but loves it otherwise.

    I don't think you would like a Totem on your Nomad as, at 180mm full time, it would make it a little challenging to pedal. I have a Totem coil on my Highline and I really like it and I pedal it, but I'm not sure you would. Maybe you would be OK with it, hard sayin' not knowin'.
    Thanks for that, DB. I've been on a fw of the older 66s and they felt more "right", but I've never spent much time on them. I'm a believer that the right fork, tire, tire presure can make you a better climber and decender without having to ever adjust much. Still looking for that magic mix, but it's an expensive pursuit.

    Another thing, I have a tab-mount mono M4. So an older tab-mount fork might save me some mo without having to upgrade by front brake.

    So, anyone got an 07 Marzocchi 66SL laying around?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,813
    I have a 05 66rc laying around that you can try out. Currently using a 07 66SL that keeps blowing the ATA cart and i keep rebuilding it and yes it keeps blowing. So picked up a 06 66ETA light which is almost the same fork except its coil instead of that ATA cart. Its on my nomad and its work great for climbing and going down. FYI the 05 sits taller then the 06 & 07's, let me know.
    ****BIRD

  31. #31
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    I have a 05 66rc laying around that you can try out. Currently using a 07 66SL that keeps blowing the ATA cart and i keep rebuilding it and yes it keeps blowing. So picked up a 06 66ETA light which is almost the same fork except its coil instead of that ATA cart. Its on my nomad and its work great for climbing and going down. FYI the 05 sits taller then the 06 & 07's, let me know.
    Wow, that would be rad. It's worth at least a dip into the good scotch, and maybe even a coupon for Danny's Family car wash. Okay, you can have a beer too.

    East Valley?

    -JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,813
    No east valley for me. Will be in snottsdale on friday at my hanger. I'll leave it there and you can swing by and pick it up. The left leg leaks (haven't bothered to change the seal) but installed an oil catcher rag on the lowers. Works great but was heavy and a little tall for climbing. I'll PM ya my cell and address.
    ****BIRD

  33. #33
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,036
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Another thing, I have a tab-mount mono M4. So an older tab-mount fork might save me some mo without having to upgrade by front brake.

    It's hard to make out, but in this picture I have a:

    Post mount 66

    IS mount Hope mono M4

    Manitou post mount adaptor (made by hope)

    200mm rotor (originally made for manitou forks)

    Peice of sh*t kenda tire

    Bolts up great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  34. #34
    I am the Tin Man!
    Reputation: grizzlyplumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    390
    Why not send off to Push? Still works great on the old Blur.
    Flyin the TallBoy...Clyde style.


    SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

    I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •