Fragile - must be Italian

Cool-blue Rhythm Pianos and anvils falling all around me...

Ever have one of those days where everything seems to go wrong? That was me today.

I took Rita (SS) out this mornng for what was supposed to be a 3hr easy ride in PMP.

Right out of the gate I knew things were going to be weird. It's been >1 month since I've been on the hardtail and it was like I had to relearn how to ride the bike again. I was heavy on the bike...charging into everything...and getting knocked around like a pinball. OK...lighten up, get your weight off the saddle, and pick your lines...better now...things are starting to look up...

...until I notice a rattle in the back of the bike. I stop to check out where the noise is coming from. Both axle bolts are totally loose and the wheel is being held in place by the tugnuts. Weird. So I tighten everything down and keep going.

Things went OK for the next hour or so until I found myself climbing Irregular Link. I stall out on one of the small technical maneuvers, put my right (downhill) foot down and...it finds nothing. Apparently I forgot to take into conideration that I was on a catwalk with a 4' drop to my right...so down the hill I tumble with bike in hand yelling "Oh F*ck" over and over again. I finally get my footing, scramble up the hill (with my heart racing now) and continue on. That was a close one -- it could have been a lot worse.

Eventually I found my way over VOAZ and going down Cheesegrater. For those of you who don't know this trail, it's a tricky little section...and even trickier on a HT. Somewhere about 2/3 of the way down I got knocked off my line, bucked to the right, and body-checked a tall barrell (or short saguaro) cactus with my right shoulder (of course I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt!). The hit knocked me back into play but shredded my shoulder. At first I didn't notice it too much as I was focused on the trail and getting down, but after about 30 seconds it really started to hurt. I looked to my right to check out the carnage...not watching where I am going...and then looked back only to see myself going off the left side of another drop. I was standing up so my weight is too far forward....and OTB I go....superman style. Somehow I land on my feet but the bars jerked sideways and the bar end jammed into my goin. Jeesus...now my shoulder and my groin are both killing me.

It's not over yet.

So then I'm bombing down Trail 220 to race home when I jump a gap and don't quite clear it. The back tire hits hard...and then "psssssssssss". Pinch flat. So I pull the tube and my patch kit expecting to do a quick repair and continue on home. 2 holes in the tube. Only 1 patch left in the kit. Priceless. Thankfully I have a 26" tube that fits over the rim so I can at least make it home.

Today would have been a total disaster but one small event made up for it -- some guy (probably not too much older than me) called me a "young man" as I pulled around him on a climb (for those of you who don't know, I just turned 40 and I'm not taking it too well). That made me feel a little better about my day.

Thx...Doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Dang Doug! That was one heck of a ride. Nurse your wounds, float in the pool while drinking a beer, and be glad you ended the ride with nothing too serious like a broken bone or bike.

mtbr member
    Jeez Doug that sux.
    I'd have even more sympathy for you if you had'nt just destroyed me up the hill on the road bike yesterday. no more old man crap out of you, you're way too strong for that. Old man-Shmold sam.

Pivotal figure
    Dude, the cloud isn't just over your head. My fork broke yesterday while making a run down Nat'l (rebound damper sheared off internally). Luckily I didn't eat any granite on that one but the rest of the ride was very slow and painful. Tried to ride today and managed to explode my rear tire so badly that my rim's sidewall actually folded over. I made it all the way to the bench on DC for that glorious ride (the one at Pima Cyn, not by the tank) so my mood didn't really improve any from yesterday. I do know exactly where you're talking about on Irregular Link cuz I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Amazing how a simple little bobble can turn into a "holy #$@" moment huh?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've been meaning to ask Walt and Deanna how yesterday went. They may have been out there when the "severe thunderstorm" was doing this;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

wrecking crew
    Okay Doug, so your superman bar trick still lives on! Nice!

You sounded a bit PO'ed when I called you (just after your flat). Sorry to hear you had a lousy day! At least you weren't badly damaged (well, ego maybe). I've always shuddered to think what would happen if I bobbled on Irregular Link where the isn't much room for mistakes on some parts. Glad you were'nt hurt! I bet it brought of bit of fear into your eyes. Maybe Rita was a bit pissed you haven't ridden her lately. You know how redheads are!

Ken, what is up with you (and others I know) breaking your bikes all the damn time! Is that how it happens? Good riders = bad bike carnage?
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good read! I'm glad nothing too serious happened.

Oh and you are a young 40. Does that help!

Tiff

Pivotal figure
    su.ling; apparently when it rains, it pours. No problems for months then everything at once

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Dude, the cloud isn't just over your head. My fork broke yesterday while making a run down Nat'l (rebound damper sheared off internally). Luckily I didn't eat any granite on that one but the rest of the ride was very slow and painful. Tried to ride today and managed to explode my rear tire so badly that my rim's sidewall actually folded over. I made it all the way to the bench on DC for that glorious ride (the one at Pima Cyn, not by the tank) so my mood didn't really improve any from yesterday. I do know exactly where you're talking about on Irregular Link cuz I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Amazing how a simple little bobble can turn into a "holy #$@" moment huh?
    Bummer about your fork and rear wheel! Hopefully you can get it all fixed relativly quickly and cheaply. At least my crappy day didn't cost me anything but a few scratches on the bike and a blown tube. Had anything broken that cost $$ to fix, I would have been really pissed.

And yes, it's amazing how a simple bobble can damn near kill you. My heart was racing for a good 10 minutes afterwards. That free-fall feeling, even just for a second, is seriously scary sh!t.

Thx...Doug

Pivotal figure
    I just topped off this wonerful weekend by burning my steak to a nice medium rare crisp. Nothing quite like that burnt/raw taste to wrap things up. I'm going to bed, just hope I don't poke any eye out while brushing my teeth

Sup?

ouch!?

doug, your ride sounds like one of those bad slient movie slapsticks from the 20's where the guys lets go of the rope, the bricks fall on him.. then somehow he ends up doing it all over again!

dorking around on SoMo taking photos today, and forgot about the 5" of travel in the rear, as I promptly received a maxxis 2.35 enema, ramming my crotch into the seat tube.. uuugh! then as I hit the next drop, my lower right ribcage slams into the seat! No crash, but it's definitely bruised. (ribs, not the crotch! )

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I just turned 40 and I'm not taking it too well). That made me feel a little better about my day.
    I turned 45 Saturday and know the feeling. I was honored with doing the month end close for my special day. Besides my personal health issues I really just look at it as another number! Only difference between 35 and 45 for me is I take a lot longer to mend after a crash. That and I guess my eye site is going as I did not even see the Rattler the other night as I passed by no further then 6 inches from my foot. If it had not moved away I would have never known it was there and rode over it.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Doug, I'm sorry, but I had to laugh 'cause this was like a Buster Keaton movie or something.

Total slapstick humor.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Doug, I'm sorry, but I had to laugh 'cause this was like a Buster Keaton movie or something.

Total slapstick humor.
    Ya...hence the title "Pianos and anvils". My day totally reminded me of those funny old cartoons (like Tom and Jerry) where the writer signified bad luck by having a piano or anvil drop on the character's head.

Thx...Doug

Members who have read this thread: 0