Closekids.com

In PHX, lost a bolt on my KS Lev. Any ideas?

Hey all. Lost a bolt on my LEV. Contacted KS and they said no worries, they would get one out to me in the mail for no charge. That was three weeks ago. I really want to ride this weekend!!!!

I called around to every shop I could think of in my area with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    You mean like to clamp the saddle on? If it's like my 950, it's just a standard Allen screw. Take the other one to Home Depot and go through the bins until you get one that fits.

Eroding into the trail
    Ace hardware or Copperstate Nut & Bolt (I-17/Bell) are the best bet.

Pivotal figure
    Actually, the LEV uses a bolt with a ball head that nests into the clamp so you won't be able to find that at any local hardware or bolt supply house. I'd contact local shops and see if they have some spare parts. Rage has sold several so they'd be a good place to start.
    FYI: Interbike was just last week so all the bike biz companies have been swamped. I'd follow up with KS as well since your order probably got buried in all the insanity

http://kssuspension.com/wp-content/u...EV-English.pdf
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Looking at the bolt itself- (thanks Kenbentit for the PDF), I know you can get countersunk bolts with an Allen key head. The trick is finding one with the right pitch, thread and one that is grade 5 if not 8 which is what I guess the originals are. IF-however,the actual real bolt is a little more rounded than any countersunk you could get, I would not be tempted to use it. Good luck!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Elitest thrill junkie
    My idea would be to get a cheap fixed seatpost from a bike shop to use while you wait for/call on the bolt. This idea is just crazy enough to work...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd be surprised if it's truly a weird bolt. I bet it's a metric machine screw with the usual thread pitch for its diameter. You can buy hemispherical washers at a fastener shop too.

Getting the right thing may be just outside the range of a local hardware store. But Phoenix has to be big enough to support a specialty fastener shop. If not, check out McMaster-Carr. mcmaster.com.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My idea would be to get a cheap fixed seatpost from a bike shop to use while you wait for/call on the bolt. This idea is just crazy enough to work...
    Impossible!!
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Pivotal figure
    AFAIK the thread pitch isn't anything special, just standard metric hardware. Getting something that matches the pocket in the clamp head is where it gets tricky. You could probably get by with a tapered head bolt until the replacement parts come in. If you go that route I'd recommend tightening that bolt first (use it to get the seat angle right) then use the other stock bolt to actually torque the head down. That would at least minimize any galling that could occur from a mismatched contact point. I'm betting the post will creak quite a bit though
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude