Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plus size jersey model

Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition

So the boys and girls over at Epic Rides put on a little race in Grand Junction, CO. It was RAD and everyone should check out their races. Good thing too that I brought my camera or I would have remembered nothing.
    Some biking pictures below and some scenery pics here PedalPics: A few scenery pics from Grand Junction.

Also the descent into darkness drinking night soon to be up on drunkcyclist.com

Not a bad place for a race.

Yes the race goes up that goat path. So good.

Some of that happened

A Mountain Bike Crit.

Then the pros put on a show.

My other ride is your mom
    Very nice kickstart to the friday photo thread....the best thread ever. I'll throw in a pic of the new bike in the house....dipping a toe into this new fangled wheel thingy...albeit, through my girlfriends bike. I would NEVER, buy an orange bike....
    Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition-1000357_10152475316104057_1132926812_n.jpg

Kathleen in AZ

Hello from Bend !!

I've never taken a long solo vacation before, but after a week+ roaming about central Oregon I have to say it's rather fun! I started off with visits to the Painted Hills, a hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, and a stop at Tumalo Falls. Will have to update with photos from these places later. Then I took the all-night/all-day star photography workshop... again, I'll get some more pics later but here are some quickies from that night.

After a good night's sleep, I climbed 2000' up Broken Top. This gem of a lake was an amazing surprise.

On Tuesday morning, I hooked up with COG Wild in Bend for a 3-day biking/camping tour. My rental Intense Tracer 275 was perfect for the fast non-techie trails.

COG had me paired with two chick couples from Virginia. We were a perfect match in temperament and bike tour goals... what a fun bunch! Combine that with a fully catered gig and a big bathtub called Little Cultus Lake and you have my perfect trip!!

Our day 3 ride was from Mt Bachelor to Bend... Unfortunately, we got to ride the famous Whoops trail with about an inch of hail on the ground. The B&B in Bend was a welcome change after that cold ride...

Today the rain has cleared and I'm off for some sightseeing and hiking at Newberry Crater and star photos at Crater Lake... cross your fingers for me for clear skies tonight!

mtbr member
    wow kathy sweet photos....
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Here are a couple from my ride at Hawes from Labor day.

And the view

Give it a crank
    Awesome shots from GJ & OR, wow!

Here's a few local ones from this week.

"Little planet" photo from my morning ride, you can barely see my white bike on the grass.

Sunrise trail in the McDowells with a couple of hikers, McDowells climbing season is almost here!

A play of light and shadow in the desert.

Tucson, AZ
    Great pics thus far!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post

I've never taken a long solo vacation before, but after a week+ roaming about central Oregon I have to say it's rather fun!

Great pictures, DG! Some of those places are very familiar from our trip two weeks ago -- #6 is the falls on the Deschutes River Trail. Great ride.

-db-

mtbr member
    Rode BCT earlier this week.

Saw a cool sunrise on the way to work one day. Not bike related, deal with it!
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Always in the wrong gear

Watch out for that tree!!

Decided to explore some more of Mt. Elden after class this week. Storms downed a tree at the top of Little Gnarly. Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition-img_1110.jpg

dirt visionary
    Breaking in the new frame proper . Keep an eye out for a new angel fire video soon This is one of the bigger drops on the new chutes and ladders

Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition-chris-jedi-drop.jpg
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Another high quality PF thread, I really enjoy seeing the out of state pics from the local crew.

While this picture is garbage aesthetically, the beauty of cleaning this troublesome spot for the first time EVAH was downright euphoric. I was riding Mormon Loop last week with Markphx and stood in amazement as he relatively easily cleaned this. It was the first time I'd ever personally seen anyone do it. No more excuses, it CAN be done. So, today I decided to do some sessioning on Mormon. Things weren't going too good, 0 for 4 on the tech moves up to the ridgeline, then a dust storm started swirling about. I decided to cut my Natty loop short & retreat down Mormon, but I wanted one more crack at the upper tech section. 40 minutes later, at least 25 attempts, in blowing dust, I nailed it. Nothing like that adrenaline high from slaying a tech feature that had the better of me for almost 20 years!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Holy Crap! You went up this thing ?

white mountains

hmmm....

Booom....

I think I need a new hub.

Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition-dsc08850.jpg

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    While this picture is garbage aesthetically, the beauty of cleaning this troublesome spot for the first time EVAH was downright euphoric.
    I know the spot. I've made it exactly ONE time in all my attempts so I know the feeling And I've failed a few times after that success so it was likely just blind luck for me.

What line did you take? My only success was way out wide right but I've heard the middler line is "easier" but no luck.

And, I guess should clarify, by "making it" I mean up the stairs, left and up to the next "platform" turning right. Not all the way up the whole trail you can see

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Very nice kickstart to the friday photo thread....the best thread ever. I'll throw in a pic of the new bike in the house....dipping a toe into this new fangled wheel thingy...albeit, through my girlfriends bike. I would NEVER, buy an orange bike....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000357_10152475316104057_1132926812_n.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	829973
    I see some blue on it, so it's still pretty cool. Everything looks good with a little blue.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I see some blue on it, so it's still pretty cool. Everything looks good with a little blue.
    It's like the General Lee....

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I know the spot. I've made it exactly ONE time in all my attempts so I know the feeling And I've failed a few times after that success so it was likely just blind luck for me.

What line did you take? My only success was way out wide right but I've heard the middler line is "easier" but no luck.

And, I guess should clarify, by "making it" I mean up the stairs, left and up to the next "platform" turning right. Not all the way up the whole trail you can see
    Mike, I took the far right line into the hard left turn. Granny gear & balance were the key for me. I made this turn about 4 times, but two of the attempts I got hung up by over correcting on the second step-up. When I finally 'cleaned' it, I made it to the top of this picture. Now I just have to get that lower section, I'm getting closer.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mike, I took the far right line into the hard left turn. Granny gear & balance were the key for me. I made this turn about 4 times, but two of the attempts I got hung up by over correcting on the second step-up. When I finally 'cleaned' it, I made it to the top of this picture. Now I just have to get that lower section, I'm getting closer.
    Cool, I've only seen one other person take the far right line, balance..., then continue on up to the top.

I take the line on the left between the two big rocks, as fast as I can.

No Clue Crew
    I can't do anything in granny gear but fall over. I'll take it in second or third and muscle my way up it. Maybe that's what I only make it to the next platform: Not enough leg strength? If you made it all the way to the top of that photo then you are indeed a rock star.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The number of crawling critters last night in Spur Cross was incredible. Tarantulas all over the place!! Had to dodge a couple of them on the trail!
    Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition-tarantula.jpgWhip Scorpion
    Photo Friday 9/6/13 Grand Junction Epic Ride Edition-whip-scorpion.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    The number of crawling critters last night in Spur Cross was incredible. Tarantulas all over the place!! Had to dodge a couple of them on the trail!

Name:	Tarantula.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	830460Whip Scorpion

Name:	Whip Scorpion.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	830461
    yep, september is certainly tarantula month, and I have seen quite a few on spur cross. Do you ride the race loop at night ? I try to ride that at least once a month when its cool....
    Below Par on the Gnar

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I joined Markphx on Brown's Peak Challenge: Ride up Four Peaks rd from the staging area, ditch the bikes, summit Brown's Peak (highest point in Maricopa County).

Our first view of Roosevelt Lake

Our destination for the day.

It gets a little climby in spots.

The ladybugs sure like the peak.

Time to crack open a Four Peaks brew.

We felt a few raindrops, so it was time to head down.

Woodstock rock.

Death of a Rampage!! Mark spotted my front tire bulging about 2 miles from the top, it held for the next 20 miles. This tire has seen a lot, 1600+ miles of rugged AZ trails.

Getting close to the bottom.

Back at the car, hard to believe we were just up there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Plus size jersey model
    A few more pics over at DC Grand Junction Off-Road - Drunkcyclist.com

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=freeskier46;10663780]I joined Markphx on Brown's Peak Challenge: Ride up Four Peaks rd from the staging area, ditch the bikes, summit Brown's Peak (highest point in Maricopa County).

Our destination for the day.

QUOTE]

It looks like one of those spots people base jump from....a sport which I don't think I will ever try....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast