mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Phoenix / sun city next month, ride, rental help

Ok so search only helped so much, I was hoping to get a little bit more info from you guys.
    I will have one day to do some mt biking next month. I would say I'm intermediate and like tabletops and tech. My brother in law has mt biked once. I would love to go somewhere that could accommodate both of us without killing my brother in law or worse turn him off from mt biking forever...

Maybe there is a bike park with loops or something? The videos I saw of McDowell looked like boring doubletrack, am I wrong?

We will be staying in sun city, so white tank is close to there. Would that be an ok place, and is there a place to rent bikes? We will need to rent close to wherever we ride...

Obviously south mountain looks the funnest to me... Thanks for any help, sitting here in seattle and looking forward to some sun!
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live in gilbert haven't rode white tanks yet. Mcdowell competitive track is good for beginners it is a "high speed track" so it is fun. Some interesting things out there. There is unlimited potential for climbs and such surrounding near by.

South mountain humbled be both up and down national trail. Im ready to give it another go. Some very technical sections if you ask me but what do I know I came from the east coast trails fun and challenging none the less. Desert classic trail is a fun fast trail to ride.

Fantasy Island looks awesome but haven't ventured that far yet.

Estrella Mtn competitive track is a good climb and can be technical lots of big loose rocks.

As far as renting bikes. I know global bikes has some nice rentals specialized Stumpies, status, camber I think its 60 bux to rent. They have a few locations not sure about sun city tho I only moved here a few months back still learning my way around.

Hope this helps a little good luck and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the reply. South mountain has trails other than the national trail right?

I'm thinking less uphill the better for the noob. He can walk techy downhills I suppose.

I've heard Estrella is nice too. Both a good drive, but probably the most likely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Depending on where you are. Most of the PHX area rides are less than an 1.5 hrs from Gilbert.

SoMo does have a few other trails. I don't think you'd have much fun waiting on someone to HAB tho. and unless you are planning a shuttle then you have to go up to come down. Desert Classic is a nice XC trail at SoMo not too much on climbing.

Honestly I would recomend Mcdowell its fun fast a few tech spots and you can literally ride that trail system all day

youtube F.I.N.S. or fantasy Island there are lots of vids from there and maybe closer to where you will be staying.

mtbr member
    I would recommend the white tanks. I have not ridden out there in years, but there is good stuff there and it not that far away from Sun City. Another option are the Sonoran Preserve in North Phx near I-17. These trails are not that techy so good for the more novice rider. They do have some good climbs.

South Mtn Desert Classic also a great ride. Lots of small ups and downs and no long big climbs, but many shorter ones. Terrain is rocky as is all of Az, but not too bad.

The McDowells (east side) are good, but a long drive from Sun City. McDowells Scottsdale (West side) have good stuff, but can be rough for a newer rider.

My personal favorite is Black Canyon Trail (BCT). You can pick this up off of New River Road just 4-5 miles north of the new Loop 303. Emery Henderson trailhead. I ride here alot and while the first parts are kind of rocky it is great ride. Good solid climbs, tight turns and really a nice run through what feels like very remote desert. I would not take first timer on it due to the rocks especially on the first drop right from trailhead, but is all easily rideable on hardtail.

As for bike parks Phx does not have many options as most of us just ride normal desert trails rather than feature created "park" for bikes. I think FINS is the only one. That is probably 30-35 min south of where you will be so might be a good option.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Rhino
    White Tank is where you want to be for your beginner brother and proximity to Suprise/SC. They have plenty of options, from 15 minute rides to all day epics.

Contact Rey at AZ Cyclery to rent bikes right near White Tank.
    (623) 935-2721
    6808 N. Dysart Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome, thanks guys. Very helpful stuff!

mtbr member
    for first time MTBer - I would recommend McDowell - Pemberton Trail

all of the others mentioned are great but I remember when I was getting my wife in to MTBing and I am glad we started at McDowell....

I never rode in White Tanks so can't help you there..

rentals? bunch of bikes shops do it here - EXHALE on I-17 is my LBS that rents...