Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Phoenix Sonoran Preserve South Ride This Saturday 5/4 730AM : Anyone ?

I am planning a group ride this Saturday 5/4 in PSP south. We plan on meeting at the Desert Vista
    Trailhead at about 715AM leaving at 730AM.

The ride I want to do is give in the linke below. We will leave out the short steep peak rides you see as lollipops in the map.

The total milage is about 11 miles and about 1600 feet in elevation.

This is a group ride at a casual pace.

Anyone intersted ?

When: 5/4/2013 730AM
    Where: Desert Vista Trailhead
    1901 W. Desert Vista Trail
    Directions: Sonoran Preserve - Official Site of the City of Phoenix
    Ride Profile: Bike Ride Profile | Sonoran Preserve near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    Last edited by MtbAZ44; 04-30-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

aka Diesel
    Count us (Waltaz) in! We've been wanting to explore the south side. See you there!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    I wonder if that new trail in the SPSP they are cutting is accessible yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I wonder if that new trail in the SPSP they are cutting is accessible yet.
    Are you talking about the stuff on the very south end...looks like a switchback climb up to the top?

I've been watching that stuff get built and almost went over to check it out last night, but decided against it because A: didn't want to find my way over there in the dark with fear of trenches and the like that I think are over there based on all the construction equipment and B: I was spooked the hell out by the two close call with rattlers. I think the snakes stayed out of the 100 degree heat yesterday and waited till it cooled off a bit to come out. They had the same idea as me apparently.

mtbr member
    If you can move the start time up to 6 am, Count me in! If not, count me out
    Plenty of light by then, and way lower temps

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Saturday should be OK starting at 7:30 am...temps dropping back to around 90. Gotta enjoy these remaining "late starts" while we still can!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I certainly don't mind starting at 6AM, but I wanted to present a time that would attract "most" folks... Not that many persons like to get up at the crack of dawn like you and me... besides a start time of 730AM is always good for days with highs below 100... This ride will take less than 2 hours... So we will be done by 930AM tops...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Count us (Waltaz) in! We've been wanting to explore the south side. See you there!
    Awesome !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Are you talking about the stuff on the very south end...looks like a switchback climb up to the top?

I've been watching that stuff get built and almost went over to check it out last night, but decided against it because A: didn't want to find my way over there in the dark with fear of trenches and the like that I think are over there based on all the construction equipment and B: I was spooked the hell out by the two close call with rattlers. I think the snakes stayed out of the 100 degree heat yesterday and waited till it cooled off a bit to come out. They had the same idea as me apparently.
    If you click on strava link at the first post, you will see that the south end has trails that make a big circle and one relatively steep climb cutting through the middle of this circle... All of those trails are open and very nice... not sure if this answers the question....

mtbr member
    I know, I know, 730 is a way better start time, and it won't be that hot, but I'm quite selfish and have to work, ergo my request that benefits me me ME!!
    have fun, maybe I'll catch you next time around.

mtbr member
    The new trail being cut is on the south west side of the lower loop.

Go Speed Racer
    I think I can make it! Would be cool to meet you all...

mtbr member
    If I see you guys post a ride for a Sunday morning, odds are good that I'll go. Saturdays are tough for me right now, but look forward to meeting new fellow riders.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK yeah we are talking about the same thing. The more trail, the better.

mtbr member
    I rode this loop tonight, and now I know what you are talking about. That trail is blocked with a row of rocks. So, I assume its not open yet. However, by looking at google maps, that trail appears to be a one way trail that connects the preserve trails with a residential area...

however, I know I will be trying it out once it opens..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I might be in for this if I don't go to Sedona.
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    I'd love to do this with you guys, but I think it's beyond my ability. Maybe by the next group ride like this I'll be ready.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jasonf150, I'd like to propose an option if the others are down... We all start out together moving towards the south end, instead of going up and over the first hill we break off from the group and stay to the right and go around it (lots of fun btw)... Then continue on towards the north lollipop, if your not feeling it there are two different bail outs to the west and back to the car... I would be willing to lead this section and it's relatively tame, you'll still hit the second hill but it's not overwhelming... This would be a great intro to a group ride and take out any initial intimidation... This is of course if the original planners are ok with it??? Thoughts? Any takers?

mtbr member
    I would totally be down with that. Unfortunately my wife had something planned I wasn't aware of and I need to be at home with the kids. I'll probably go riding sat night instead. Thanks for the offer. I'm dying to go on a group ride though. Will hold out for next time.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSNED View Post
    Jasonf150, I'd like to propose an option if the others are down... We all start out together moving towards the south end, instead of going up and over the first hill we break off from the group and stay to the right and go around it (lots of fun btw)... Then continue on towards the north lollipop, if your not feeling it there are two different bail outs to the west and back to the car... I would be willing to lead this section and it's relatively tame, you'll still hit the second hill but it's not overwhelming... This would be a great intro to a group ride and take out any initial intimidation... This is of course if the original planners are ok with it??? Thoughts? Any takers?
    The ride we are planning would take this first right as you say, and do the the south circle... That is a good easy ride if you leave out the north loop ...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    The ride we are planning would take this first right as you say, and do the the south circle... That is a good easy ride if you leave out the north loop ...
    Good; we want to stay right and check out the full south circle, instead of cutting across the middle to do the climb. That looks like a nice, stout, extra credit climb, though.

Also, make sure to point out how to connect this Southern loop to the Northern loop. We just discovered the Northern loop a month ago (via a similar MTBR group ride), and want to connect them for a longer ride.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Good; we want to stay right and check out the full south circle, instead of cutting across the middle to do the climb. That looks like a nice, stout, extra credit climb, though.

Also, make sure to point out how to connect this Southern loop to the Northern loop. We just discovered the Northern loop a month ago (via a similar MTBR group ride), and want to connect them for a longer ride.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/095100.pdf

ride:
    Parking lot -- Hawk's Nest North
    Right -- Desert Tortoise (DT) -- We won't do the entire first steep climb.
    Right -- Valle Verde (V) -- Start of south loop
    Right -- Great Horned Owl (GO)
    Continue Straigt -- Cactus Wren (C) -- Loop around south loop
    Right -- Valle Verde (V) -- Connection back to North Loop
    Right -- Dixie Mountain Loop -- North Loop -- Loop around
    Right -- Hawk's Nest -- back to parking lot

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry, I got you...I was basing it off the strava going up and over the southern hill instead of around it...Either way this is a really fun ride and I am in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSNED View Post
    Sorry, I got you...I was basing it off the strava going up and over the southern hill instead of around it...Either way this is a really fun ride and I am in!
    I enjoy that southern hill you mention... but we will skip it as it is quite the bonker

Black and Sticky
    I'm up for this. Trailhead 7:15, RTR 7:30. See you there!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast