Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,123

    Phoenix New Times Blog: Why the Black Canyon Trail is NOT Arizona's Best Ride

    Just goofing around on the internet and stumbled across this article.

    This is from Dec. 2012. Did I search and I don't think I've seen it here. Wow....worth a read. I think they're a little off on their points, YMMV.

    Cycle: Why the Black Canyon Trail is NOT Arizona's Best Ride

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,621
    Technically hard? Huh? I thought a ht single speed would be best on this trail and I was kind of board on my fs xc bike. This article is lame.

    The BCT is not something I care to drive to and ride but I have checked it out and thought it was cool.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    857
    I actually also just found an article, but about the maricopa trail. It will be about 370 miles, and will connect the major parks. There will also be an inner loop as well. The sections that I have ridden of the maricopa trail have been pretty easy, but it will still be cool once it's done. I may actually be able to ride to work because of it, which is great.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Technically hard? Huh? I thought a ht single speed would be best on this trail and I was kind of board on my fs xc bike. This article is lame.

    The BCT is not something I care to drive to and ride but I have checked it out and thought it was cool.
    Have you done the complete N---S in one day?
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    579
    I just read the attach. It seems to me they rode just a bit south of TMR, into "the war zone" and my guess is they didn't even make the first river crossing going north, as they made no mention of it. The writer must be a complete squid on a bike.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

  6. #6
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,417
    why does everything have to be a frickin' contest?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    The writer must be a complete squid on a bike.
    That was my exact opinion.

    To say you spend more time dismounted than seated? Really? How new is the writer to mtb? All the girls we ride with can clean everything out there.

    Rocks? I can only think of a few places on the entire system that has some rock and it's all easily rideable.

  8. #8
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,730
    Pretty hilarious article. I can't imagine a single trail at South Mtn that is as easy as BCT, even DC has more rocky sections! I do have to agree with the gunfire (not just limited to the TM area) and the remoteness (that part is actually a big draw for me though). Sounds like they weren't able to stay on the trail long enough to avoid the cactus. Not exactly a group I'd look to for riding advice....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbAZ44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,586
    " we here at Cycle " who/what/where is "cycle" ?

    Article is totally off-base... I am a total weenie and I don't think BCT is all that technical... He is representing a small minority of riders that prefer the canal or Reach 11...

    So if BCT is not #1, than what is ?? I would have expected he would at least mention that...

    Ranking trails is really impossible to do, but magazines will always do that to sell subscriptions...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Have you done the complete N---S in one day?
    I don't really ride long distance rides, I'm way too slow and lazy for that. The trail I did ride was plenty nice but it's just not what I'm really into.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,123
    Looks like they gave another review the week before the previously mentioned article. For this ride, the start at Emery Henderson

    Cycle: Riding the Black Canyon Trail's Southern Leg

    He's a quote, no joke:

    The first impression about this trail was that it rarely was easy. That's not to say it was difficult, but it never rode easy. The trails have abundant loose rocks and sock sandy sections that meant that it was tough to ever get a good rhythm for any extended period. Even on the downhills, the ride always felt like work.
    Emery Henderson is the BCT starter kit....with abundant rhythm. C'mon....

  12. #12
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,996
    It actually makes quite a bit of sense if you consider the target audience of the New Times is looking mostly for night life and keeping up with rumours. Some readers probably check the horoscope before stepping out the door too, especially on their way to a distant warzone like BCT.

    You just have to assume the author has that kind of audience in mind, and only checked out the section of BCT nearest to Phoenix. The rest of BCT is just way too far away from the city and not even worth looking at. The article's viewpoint makes more sense that way.

    Even a biased article like that can still draw interested riders out, and a few of those might discover how awesome the rest of the BCT is. New people in town who's first source of info is a paper like New Times in particular.

  13. #13
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    It actually makes quite a bit of sense if you consider the target audience of the New Times is looking mostly for night life and keeping up with rumours. Some readers probably check the horoscope before stepping out the door too, especially on their way to a distant warzone like BCT.

    You just have to assume the author has that kind of audience in mind, and only checked out the section of BCT nearest to Phoenix. The rest of BCT is just way too far away from the city and not even worth looking at. The article's viewpoint makes more sense that way.

    Even a biased article like that can still draw interested riders out, and a few of those might discover how awesome the rest of the BCT is. New people in town who's first source of info is a paper like New Times in particular.
    any good review needs to establish the context of the reviewer. This one perhaps implies it like you say, but its a bad bad review since it does not do so clearly. Start with the very basic fact that the reviewer did not know a very basic fact that Table Mesa sucks @$$. Continue context by him not mentioning ANY of the other rides most of us would agree merit discussion in a top 10 for AZ. "Hi, I'm a qualified bike reviewer from Phx. Here is what I think of National. McDs, PMP, etc...and now my impression of BCT". Accurate, but without context, its just bad.

  14. #14
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,677
    wow, that article is bad... hopefully it keeps some people away. I'd hate to think what the trails would be like if the reviewer said it was the best trail ever.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    They started at 74 and went north? ......

    Granted, if you're used to that aggressive downhill in the SOCAL foothills, BCT is kind of "different" but I always thought the run from Emery to Table Mesa is a nice run.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Here is a quote from his other article...When it comes to mountain biking, Desert Classic Trail at South Mountain is the gold standard for cross-country riding bliss. Sure, it's not the most difficult (like say National or Hawes), but it provides just the right amount of technical and physical challenge to always be interesting and flat out smile-inducing.

    DC is the golden standard? I guess if your thing is crowded, fast, easy, blown out trail then you're going to hate BCT. He called Hawes difficult

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    579
    I guess if you were to take a step back and look objectively at his demographic, It may make a bit more sense. For the casual rider, "Team Tennis Shoe" it may in fact be accurate. This forum is made up of a very narrowly focused and extremely devoted group. To us, traversing a switchback without a dab is just a smile. To them it looks like Mt. Everest.

    When I first started taking this seriously, 25 years ago, there were obstacles out at P&D that were my worst nightmare, now they would be middle ring, middle gear not a second thought given. So from a different perspective. (The New Times crowd) I guess it's understandable. Yet to write as though he is the voice of experience is disingenuous at best.

    Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    wow, that article is bad... hopefully it keeps some people away. I'd hate to think what the trails would be like if the reviewer said it was the best trail ever.
    Exactly !

    I think the article is GREAT !

    It will keep the causal riders off the trail, BCT is so narrow it's hard to pass especially if people walk their bikes.

    Yes, yes people BCT SUCKS !

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Looks like they gave another review the week before the previously mentioned article. For this ride, the start at Emery Henderson

    Cycle: Riding the Black Canyon Trail's Southern Leg

    He's a quote, no joke:



    Emery Henderson is the BCT starter kit....with abundant rhythm. C'mon....
    I got to agree with that. Most of BCT are not easy miles, there are tons of turns and little obstacles. Nothing advanced, it's just that there is constantly something going on there. It's hard to find a spot to check your phone on a bike without stopping.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    I think the mistake they are making is riding the trail from South to North, which is mostly uphill. They would probably have a lot more fun starting at the Black Canyon City Trail-head and going downhill, especially down Cheapshot.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Just goofing around on the internet and stumbled across this article.

    This is from Dec. 2012. Did I search and I don't think I've seen it here. Wow....worth a read. I think they're a little off on their points, YMMV.

    Cycle: Why the Black Canyon Trail is NOT Arizona's Best Ride
    While I like BCT... I would not call it Az's best ride. IMHO there are too many different things riders want for any one trail to be the "best".

    As for these guys at "Cycle". Sounds like they were beyond their skill level and should stick to the DC freeway.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I think the mistake they are making is riding the trail from South to North, which is mostly uphill. They would probably have a lot more fun starting at the Black Canyon City Trail-head and going downhill, especially down Cheapshot.
    I think they made a mistake even trying it and would have complained both ways.

    Here is their "Blog"

    "Bicycle Culture" Archives - Phoenix - Arts - Jackalope Ranch

    Cycle: Seven Evening and Casual Rides During May

    Grab Your Blankets and Radios and Bike to the Movies in Tempe

    Jason Franz is the main author and looks like a roadie...

    Here are his top 5.
    Cycle: 5 Great Arizona Rides - Phoenix - Arts - Jackalope Ranch

    #5 DC - I have ridden DC and it is fun, but quite easy. Sitting WTF?


    #3 McDowells Pemby, & Comps loop

    #4,#2,#1 are Roadie rides...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  23. #23
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,677
    Yeah, if you look up Jason Franz on Strava, it's pretty clear that he does 90% road...nothing wrong with that, but when you consider the 10% MTB he does is DC and Papago, he has no business writing a review (without clearly stating his perspective as a beginner MTB rider) on the BCT.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  24. #24
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Yeah, if you look up Jason Franz on Strava, it's pretty clear that he does 90% road...nothing wrong with that, but when you consider the 10% MTB he does is DC and Papago, he has no business writing a review (without clearly stating his perspective as a beginner MTB rider) on the BCT.
    comment bomb him! call out his sissy-pantsisms. . I thought about commenting in the article, similar to your post, but me'h why bother?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Yeah, if you look up Jason Franz on Strava, it's pretty clear that he does 90% road...nothing wrong with that, but when you consider the 10% MTB he does is DC and Papago, he has no business writing a review (without clearly stating his perspective as a beginner MTB rider) on the BCT.
    Right,
    Nothing wrong with being a roadie (and he appears to be strong rider), but commenting on Mtn bike does not make sense. I ride road too, but at least I know enough to not even try to comment on the best road rides around.

    Here was his BCT fail loop.

    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | BCT Table Mesa>BCTH Fail near New River | Times and Records | Strava

    and EH to Table Mesa Ride.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | BCT South: Henderson TH to Little Pan Loop near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  2. Black friday ride- gold canyon k-trail system
    By BIGHORN LEW in forum Arizona
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 07:20 AM
  3. Bikepacking Black Canyon Trail
    By larels in forum Arizona
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
  4. Black Canyon Trail, Arizona
    By Wherewolf in forum Passion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
  5. Black Canyon Trail - AES
    By dtownmtb in forum Arizona
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •