Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357

    Phoenix: bike rental and brew pub question

    Hi,

    I am heading to Phoenix next week for a few days. I may have one shot at riding and would like to do the National Trail. I will not bring my bike for one ride. Therefore I am looking for suggestions regarding shops that rent decent bikes.

    Also any breweries suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Sylvain

  2. #2
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    Hi,

    I am heading to Phoenix next week for a few days. I may have one shot at riding and would like to do the National Trail. I will not bring my bike for one ride. Therefore I am looking for suggestions regarding shops that rent decent bikes.

    Also any breweries suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Sylvain
    Cactus Bikes @ 48th and Elliot Streets will set you up with a bike. You can ride from the shop to the trail.

    Nellos just down the road at 48th and Warner is a pizza place, but they have good beer on tap and great pizza! Good for after ride beer and food, but I don't think they are open on Mondays. Check first.

  3. #3
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,669
    4 Peaks Brewery is always a good option, it's right by ASU...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Cactus Bikes @ 48th and Elliot Streets will set you up with a bike. You can ride from the shop to the trail.

    Nellos just down the road at 48th and Warner is a pizza place, but they have good beer on tap and great pizza! Good for after ride beer and food, but I don't think they are open on Mondays. Check first.
    Sounds great thanks for the info!

    I had seen Cactus website but the rates and rental bikes are from 2008. I'll go check what that have on offer when I arrive on Monday.

    Most likely I am planning to ride on Tuesday morning having to work during the evening.

    Sylvain

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    4 Peaks Brewery is always a good option, it's right by ASU...
    Reviews are excellent. I'll check them out!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    Reviews are excellent. I'll check them out!
    I suggest the calamari, soft pretzels, and an 8th street!

  7. #7
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563
    Sun Up Brewery in Phx but they have some amazing cask ales
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,815
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    4 Peaks Brewery is always a good option, it's right by ASU...
    Second Four Peaks.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  9. #9
    slow uphill
    Reputation: orangedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Second Four Peaks.
    Third. The food is really salty, but the beer (especially the cask ales) is quite good.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357
    My hotel will be in PHX and I don't mind driving around if I have the time. And I love cask ales so I'll try to check Sun Up as well. I am just back from an Oregon MTBiking vacation and the cask ales in Oakridge (Brewers Union) are awesome. Especially the IPA.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    My hotel will be in PHX and I don't mind driving around if I have the time. And I love cask ales so I'll try to check Sun Up as well. I am just back from an Oregon MTBiking vacation and the cask ales in Oakridge (Brewers Union) are awesome. Especially the IPA.

    Thanks for the suggestions.
    What hotel are you staying at?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    What hotel are you staying at?
    It will be the Residence Inn.

  13. #13
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,786
    +whatever for Four Peaks. About as good as it gets for local breweries.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    It will be the Residence Inn.
    Sorry, should have asked, what part of town? Phoenix is a very large city, with lots of sprawl. Most folks here for work looking for rides have limited time, so depending on where you're staying might make our recommendations more realisict or not.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Sorry, should have asked, what part of town? Phoenix is a very large city, with lots of sprawl. Most folks here for work looking for rides have limited time, so depending on where you're staying might make our recommendations more realisict or not.
    Apparently I have chosen an hotel close to the center: the Residence Inn on Black Canyon close to Metrocenter.

  16. #16
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,786
    Yowza. Tweaker central. Be careful and lock your stuff up in that area.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    Apparently I have chosen an hotel close to the center: the Residence Inn on Black Canyon close to Metrocenter.
    Yea, you're going to be pretty darn far from both Cactus Bikes and Four Peaks, as both of these are in Tempe, on the other side of town.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yea, you're going to be pretty darn far from both Cactus Bikes and Four Peaks, as both of these are in Tempe, on the other side of town.
    I double-checked and unfortunately have no choice. Company policy. It'll cost them more for gaz for the rental car.

  19. #19
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,801
    Kiltlifter - nuff said

  20. #20
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    478
    Sun Up Brewery, 322 East Camelback. Used to be called Sonora Brew House, but changed to Sun Up. I haven't been there since it changed, but used to be very good. It's about 5 miles south and east of Residence Inn. Good food too.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kensellu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    96
    Rock Bottom Brewery is right near South Mountain...Pretty good stuff, but Fout Peaks is also awesome...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •