Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Phoenix Area Rentals/Trails

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dabears32 
#1 ·
I'm starting to plan a trip to Arizona in early March with some friends. I'd prefer a full fledged MTB trip but since I'm the only one who has done any biking I have to settle for a few day trips.

I've been researching shops and trails but would appreciate any input.

Rentals: We will just be renting a car so need to factor in how we will get bikes to trails in addition to cost of the bike. Any suggestions on shops?

Trails: Would like trails that are not too technical/rocky but are fine with climbs etc. Not sure if that just means beginner trails or not. Any recommendations?

Area of town is not important at this point.

Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Both Bike n Bean and Absolute rent bikes and they are across the street from one another. I prefer Bike and Bean because coffee. There are trails that start from both of their parking lots. They both sell maps and are full of info. I'd feel comfortable just going there and not having a plan, just talk to them. They won't steer you wrong.

#5 ·
This is where I rent trucks for my work, 2015 dodge ram 2500 crew cab diesel @ $85/ day unlimited mileage.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
1444 W AUTO DR
TEMPE, AZ 85284-1015
Tel.: (480) 940-1616

But you could easily rent a turd car from the airport and drive to Cactus Bike in ahwatukee and ride from the bike shop to the trail head of South Mountain, Pima Canyon parking lot. 9904 S. 48th Street near Guadalupe Road.
Cactus Bike
4747 E Elliot Rd #30, Phoenix, AZ 85044
Phone: (480) 785-7433

It is too bad you are rolling with noobie bikers, can you ditch them and ride solo for a day?
Riding solo, take Desert Classic and bike/bike up Telegraph pass and then down National back to Pima parking lot. That would be one fun, simple ride but not something noobies could handle. There isnt much noobies could do without totally turning your day into a mtb coaching session.
https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations/south-mountain/trail-descriptions-and-map

#7 ·
When asking for a ride with low rock and tech, Somo does not come to mind, except for Desert Classic. Fun trail for a mixed skill group and you can't get lost it. Lot's of other places jump out for lower tech rides with distance: Hawes, Gold Canyon, Brown's Ranch. Brown's Ranch might be good too (North Scottsdale). I think Single Track Factory rents bikes and is in N Scottsdale.

Sedona is a great idea, and would be ideal on many levels. Really beautiful place. Great mountain biking. Lot's of other out of towner stuff to do too. I tell people to from out of town to spend a couple hours at the Grand Canyon, but a couple days at Sedona. I know nada about the trails there, but imagine someone could get you going on a good route or two.

Have fun. Lot's of great options for you and your group.

#8 ·
I agree with Sugarhigh. Suggest McDowell Sonoran Preserve, North Section (aka Brown's Ranch). The main advantage is that it is extremely well signed and you won't waste a lot of time trying to find your way around. The trailheads are accessible from main roads and easy to find. Plus this is a fairly scenic area. Here's a map:

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/ScottsdaleAZ/Preserve/Preserve+North+Area+Trail+Map.pdf

With this map and all the signs, it's impossible for you to get lost or on the wrong trail. Plus, based on your description, the trails would suit you. These are not technical trails, more so XC. But you can get some vertical ascent if you ride far enough. If you pick the right trails you could get maybe 1500 - 2000 ft in 20 miles. That's according to some of the rides I saved on Garmin Connect. There is one pretty substantial climb up Brown's Mtn if you want more.

I've rented bikes for visitors at Arizona Outback Adventures (Guided Adventure Tours | Grand Canyon Hiking Tours, Arizona Bike Rentals & Tours, River Rafting) and Singletrack Factory. Both will do a good job for you.

Have fun.

Bob

#10 ·
I stayed 6 weeks in Scottsdale last winter. I rented from Arizona Outdoor Adventures and they recommended several local areas to ride. Brown's Ranch is my favorite. It might not be technical, but you can make it as difficult as you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.