mtbr member
    May 2012

Personal Milestone Achieved - 100,000 Feet

Yesterday I cross a major milestone.

I surpassed 100,000 feet of climbing since November 2011 when I got back in to riding after taking a multi year break. I started back up Nov, 2011, but did not start riding consistently until May 2012. Since 4/29/12 I have out riding once or twice a week.

Numbers are

Total Miles = 1492 867 Mtn / 625 Road
    Total Elevation = 100,048 72931 Mtn / 27117 Road
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice work! Kinda neat to see the numbers tally up over the long haul. Keep crankin'!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Way to go Joe!!! That's a fun one. Working you way toward your fourth Mt. Everest summit in about 16,000 more feet!!!

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work Joe!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks Guys. I know that for some, these numbers are pretty small, but I have been quite happy I have been able to get as much riding in as I have been. I started riding in 1998 and I was 5'7" and about 200lbs. Lost a about 40lbs riding back then and other than simple computer I had no way to track much of anything. I did a lot of riding from 98 to 2003, but then I got married, moved, had a child and pretty much put my bike in storage until 2011. With life settling out and some encouragement from friends and neighbors I started back up again. Then by End of April 2012 I start riding a lot more and since then I have ridden more miles than ever.

I am riding faster, longer, and better than ever before and my weight is solid at 152lbs with a lot more lean muscle.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Thanks Guys. I know that for some, these numbers are pretty small, but I have been quite happy I have been able to get as much riding in as I have been. I started riding in 1998 and I was 5'7" and about 200lbs. Lost a about 40lbs riding back then and other than simple computer I had no way to track much of anything. I did a lot of riding from 98 to 2003, but then I got married, moved, had a child and pretty much put my bike in storage until 2011. With life settling out and some encouragement from friends and neighbors I started back up again. Then by End of April 2012 I start riding a lot more and since then I have ridden more miles than ever.

I am riding faster, longer, and better than ever before and my weight is solid at 152lbs with a lot more lean muscle.
    Thats fantastic! I noticed on Strava you are no slouch either. Even though I was in "ride by myself-1st time @ this place" pace on Sonoran north, I felt like I was at least moving along okay as I felt great. Strava showed me pretty slow and you have some great segment times out there! I like hearing about comeback stories. It takes more heart and soul to comeback to form than to start new.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    That's awesome man, keep it up.

Are you doing the 25 or 50 on WOR?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice job Joe!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    That's awesome man, keep it up.

Are you doing the 25 or 50 on WOR?
    I am doing the 25. I am not ready for the 50. It is possibly my body might be, but my mind is not.

cstem,
    Sonoran is nice fun change of pace. All about climbing and turns. I find it boring ridden slowly, but fun if I try to race pace it.
    Joe

mtbr member
    I was looking at the map... if you do EH to RS on BCT out and back - that would be a bit under 50 miles and around 6-7K of climbing.... - which is what pretty much the 50 proof WOR.

Going one way would yields similar mileage and ascension as the 25 proof... especially heading north towards RS.

mtbr member
    Nice! Don't beat yourself up over the totals. Sure, you could ride more if you didn't have a job, wife, and kids...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

pedaller
    Great job Joe! I'm more impressed that you went from 2 bills down to a buck 50!!! That is AWESOME!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Nice! Don't beat yourself up over the totals. Sure, you could ride more if you didn't have a job, wife, and kids...
    I am sure if you ride more you won't have a job, wife and kids...

Give it a crank
    That's really good, congrats! It's almost 20 miles straight up.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Great job Joe! I'm more impressed that you went from 2 bills down to a buck 50!!! That is AWESOME!
    That weight loss mostly happened back in 1998 when I first started. However this last round took me from about 165 to 152. Not much in numbers, but part of that is due replacing fat with muscle.

Overall I am really happy that I have been able to get the miles I have gotten in. Strava has been nice to track those miles and really create an incentive to push a little harder. I see what guys like Raybum do and it is totally amazing, yet I can see that after almost year of tracking all these rides my performances are getting stronger as well. I would have never considered doing with Whiskey Off-Road last year and now I am starting to believe in my head that I can survive the 25 proof. In the last year I also had two first time deals. I did my first Mtn bike race. Cave Creek Bike Fest and was quite happy with my performance. I did sprint triathlon as well and while I did not win I did reasonably well.

Also over this 800+ trail miles I have ridden more trails and different stuff that ever before. I learned that not far from my house a miles and miles of excellent trails that I can take advantage of year round. I also simply enjoy getting out and riding as there is no pressure except what I choose to take on.

It has been a very good time and everyone of those 100,000 feet have been worth the climb and effort.
    Joe

livin' the dream......
    Joe forgot to mention his running ability, busting out 5 to 6 mile runs at right around 8 minute miles. Great job Joe!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks Terry,

I have been on vacation all week. No bike here, but nice running area. Been running 6 miles each morning and spending the rest of the day by the pool or at the beach. Swimming and playing with the kids.

I am getting pumped up for the WOR. Should be fun!
    Joe